Parkland school shooting officer charged with neglect

jaxbusa

Established Member
I’m sure you all will remember the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida where an officer stayed outside the school during the shooting. The officer is being charged criminally. Several months ago a federal judge ruled that officers had no legal duty during the shooting.

Ruling below:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2360683002

He is now being charged with seven counts of felony neglect of a child, culpable negligence and perjury.

Story below:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/us/scot-peterson-parkland-shooting.amp.html

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The entire law enforcement apparatus in that city FAILED in their duty. Dont forget, law enforcement had dozens of contacts with the perpetrator before the shooting. The FBI was warned and did nothing.

Then this officer chose his own safety over his moral duty when the lead was flying. If just one part of the system enforced the law that was already on the books, this tragedy could have been avoided or had a drastic reduction in loss of life.

my opinion of course.

nxhappy

Established Member
goddamn coward. It is your LIVING RESPONSIBILITY to protect others if you are armed. And yet this man runs away from the scene like a little pussy! Naw man. That's not what he signed up for. I'm not an officer and if I was in that scenario with my AR, bet your puckered ASS I'd be protecting those little children. It's common instinct gents.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
im still not sure how no one's brakes have "failed" when that guy has crossed a street.

honestly, i dont fault the guy for being scared. thats a perfectly normal human reaction to danger. hell, i dont even blame him for freezing up. thats most likely a training failure on his employers part.

i do place blame because deep down at some point, he knew what had to be done and refused to do it. dying sucks, not many people want to do it. i just dont know how anyone could live with themselves knowing their inaction is allowing CHILDREN to die. next to suicide, that has to be the most selfish thing i can think of, to let others die when you have the ability to potentially stop it.

the football coach, Aaron Fies, wasnt even armed and he put himself between the shooter and two kids to make sure they were safe. two children got to see their family because of him, thats a heroic act.

this guy is a selfish coward who deserves absolutely every bit of shade thrown his way.

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
Since it has been determined he had no legal duty to go in I don't see how the charges stick.

Unfortunately, I agree. Thus, I can only hope.

But, there have been countless cases where I've said to myself, "I don't see how the charges can stick", and they do. If there was ever a situation where the DA needs to pull a rabbit out of a hat, this is it.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I'll agree with the masses. He is a giant POS, but I don't know if the charges will stick.

I did a quick google, and supposedly, 27% of officers have never pulled their gun out. I'm sure the number is even much hire for those who haven't fired their gun. It would be one thing if someone he pulled over pulled a gun, for him to pull his and return fire. That's when instincts kick in, return fire or get killed. A school shooting though, he is outside, 100% free from any danger, and knows if he runs in, he might die. All the police officers I know have said they would run in. Clearly though, at least some officer's wouldn't.

What other scenarios might an officer face where they don't want to risk their life? Maybe a car crash over a small bridge into water. Do you expect the officer to jump in? Maybe a car crash with a large fire? Do you expect the officer to risk massive burns to save the driver?

jaxbusa

Established Member
What other scenarios might an officer face where they don't want to risk their life? Maybe a car crash over a small bridge into water. Do you expect the officer to jump in? Maybe a car crash with a large fire? Do you expect the officer to risk massive burns to save the driver?

This is where my mind went as well, and I suddenly became overwhelmed with a huge gray area for when police could be criminally charged. I would imagine that this extends to firefighters as well.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

coposrv

Established Member
But But But But he’s a first responder! They’re all the real heroes!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Good. You wear the uniform and take the perks of the job, better be ready to do the dirty work too.

I'll add that putting a person that was only 6 months from retirement as a resource officer was also a bad move, as we got to see first hand how he thought his retirement was more important than human life. But nothing would of came out of this if good old anti constitutionalist Isreal was still sheriff of Coward opps I mean Broward county. Once he was gone this weasels shield and cover was finally taken away.

No I got a feeling they are going to make an example out of him so as to tell everyone in LE when you are a school resource officer your duty is to protect up to and including your death.

If I was a chief or sheriff I would only pick 5 to 10 year on the force veterans as resource officers, any one that had two or less years before retirement would be on street/ traffic patrol or a desk jockey. That way stuff like this would not happen in my community.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
I was under the impression his CO told him to not enter?

Pretty hard when 5 of his buddies other sheriff deputies was in the parking lot during the shooting. And that information came from Miami SWAT when they finally showed up about 15 minutes after the report of the shooting was broadcast. So this guy had no excuse on not entering as backup was already there on scene.

Users who are viewing this thread