parts are starting to arrive..

nordy racer

Established Member
order some headers from Lethal over the holidays and they just arrived..
i want to get one more thing before i install the headers & converter.. hopefully the car will get a 11.3's in the fall.. i'm thinking about getting that MSD launch box to help get better 60fts. any input guys?

72613047_zpse9e33ee2.jpg

72613046_zps9f7f0a02.jpg

photo321051_zps74c898bc.jpg

photo321053_zps0e41c224.jpg

haVesoV777

Established Member
I have a noob question about the headers.. okay I see you got LTs.. do those hook up straight to your stock cats? or do you need to buy the continuation of the system from the same manufacturer? help from anyone would be great! I'm also considering LTs but I'm a bit hesitant as far as the cats go due to the beautiful California Emissions..

Heuristic

Established Member
I have a noob question about the headers.. okay I see you got LTs.. do those hook up straight to your stock cats? or do you need to buy the continuation of the system from the same manufacturer? help from anyone would be great! I'm also considering LTs but I'm a bit hesitant as far as the cats go due to the beautiful California Emissions..

You have to but the rest of the pieces. They are longer than the stock headers, therefore if you were to bolt your stock exhaust up to them they would likely stick out past your bumper a foot

At least that's how it was with Camaro's

nordy racer

Established Member

nope.. i had to get a new H pipe..

N20JUNKY

Established Member

No the longtubes will not hook up to the factory cats, they have a specific mid pipe

Edit:damn tree'd twice lol

nordy racer

Established Member
The converter is going to wake the car up! What size did you get? Also with the long tubes hope you like loud lol

i went with a 3c.. i'm going to stay N/A for about 1 1/2 years before i go FI so i wanted the best of both worlds right now..

hopefully the LT's with the H pipe sounds good with my GT500 muffs..

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

It's tough to get an aftermarket set to fully pass CARB emissions. Kooks newly released the GREEN cats, but they are 49 state legal by federal regulations, but not CARB certified.

I'd probably look into adding power elsewhere, and perhaps adding a catback, over axle pipes or just an axle back to give the car extra grunt for now.

haVesoV777

Established Member
It's tough to get an aftermarket set to fully pass CARB emissions. Kooks newly released the GREEN cats, but they are 49 state legal by federal regulations, but not CARB certified.

I'd probably look into adding power elsewhere, and perhaps adding a catback, over axle pipes or just an axle back to give the car extra grunt for now.

I've already got an after cat set up, I guess I need to wait it out a bit to see if anything CARB compliant comes out!

haVesoV777

Established Member
This is very unlikely to ever happen. California law is VERY specific about using aftermarket headers or cats.

I had initially planned for that.. that's why I was interested about LTs because I might as well go all the way with it instead of doing shortys.. If it's not going to pass CARB then there's no way around it, either you do it or you don't, and I'm leaning towards doing it! :rockon:

nordy racer

Established Member
if your stang is new you have up to 5 years before you have to smog. so have fun up intil then..

nordy racer

Established Member
And on top of that, next year CA smog will be OBD test only, no sniffer.

yup its like that out here in Maryland.. my car sits low to so they cant even look under..
i just moved from Long Beach, so i'm happy for you guys out there. the only thing i wish would happen for you guys is 20 year historic tags.. we have them out here..

jojobee

Established Member

This is very unlikely to ever happen. California law is VERY specific about using aftermarket headers or cats.

If i am not mistaking a good way around this would be to use the Kooks superstreeet headers with an offroad xpipe.
When inspection time comes you would need to install your oem cats which is a 30 minutes job.

This would still get you a noticeable rwhp gain close to LT's but also give you peace of mind for future inspections.

I am leaning towards this although i currently have LT's on the car. I should have done this in the first place imo.

casper gt

Established Member
hmmmm.. im still up in the air, i would think that it would help.

in an application that launched softer, it might.

I'm leaving at about 3k & the car just wants to load up.

we talked at length about trying to tune for it & Kevin came to the conclusion that we could make it work, but I don't feel the need since the car is quite stable coming off the foot brake.

the car is 60' ing in the high 1.5's on the footbrake, pump gas & as full weight as it can get (ie all the seats in, full trunk pannels, etc), no cage yet though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread