Parts you wish you bought when you could

Kevins89notch

Established Member
2003-2004 cobra steering racks. They are said to give the best feel to a foxbody. No clue what retail was but now when a cobra is wrecked, bought at auction and parted out, they want like $300 for 100K mile racks.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I wish I hoarded 2005-6 Ford GT OEM parts when they were still available. A lot of them doubled or tripled in value. I don't own a GT but would have bought the parts for resale. That said, I did manage to find an OEM NOS Ford Racing 2006 GT catback exhaust.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I wish I stocked up on some new marauder specific parts while I still had the chance, not really anything left from Ford anymore and NOS parts like floor mats can bring 400 dollars.

I would really have loved to have bought a set of 05 DC 9 thread 4v heads while they were still around, or even better the Roush CNC'd heads you could buy.

Remember the Autometer Lunar gauges for the '03-'04 Cobra? Back in the day they were a popular choice, and then a few years later they were discontinued. They perfectly matched the factory gauge color at night. I had a 3-gauge A-pillar pod setup on my '03 Cobra. Always loved how they looked.
View attachment 1632883

@traktrbeam had a set of these in his old cobra, they looked sick. If and when I ever get a terminator I'll be on the long hunt to get a few of these gauges

Lunars.JPG

Blown 89

Established Member
Is that thing running windows XP?
It is. It was either XP or ME back then and I wanted my OS to work so..... Eventually technology caught up to what the car-pc community had been doing for years. That cobra had a bananas Focal system that looked factory. I tore apart the dash assembly supports apart to move the AC controls down to the bottom so the screen was closer to eye level. It had internet, a fully functioning navigation system, played movies via either disc or the hard drive, and had the capability to run car diagnostics if you had the appropriate licensing. I molded a small computer into the trunk that converted power off the car battery and ran everything. If I parked the car for more than a week I had to have it plugged in or it would drain the battery because small low power PC's didn't exist.. Back then that was a major PITA, now tons of modern cars require plugs lol.

Keep in mind this was pre-iPhone 1. Once the iPhone came out and smart phones took off they rendered all of that useless. Up to that point you had to have a CD changer and a standalone GPS unit mounted to your windshield to accomplish any of that. I had thousands of CD's in lossless format at my disposal on that hard drive. Integrating the CD/DVD/HD drive into that panel was the hardest part.

I did the interface artwork in a collaboration with a programmer in Germany. If you look it even had a Ford logo in the software. I made a power button from an existing interior switch and put it where the cigarette lighter was but it booted directly into this interface when the car was started and was controlled via touch screen. The switch was only there because I made it before someone figured out how to boot off of the ignition:
3jEHDDXl.jpeg

Show us the way sir!
I did that particular install using semi-flexible 3M Duramix (used for bumper repair) and a sander. You have to use something with give or it will crack as the temperature changes. I wanted that install to look factory so sanding each curve and surface to look factory perfect took a while. If you can find something close to the shape you want you could use the same process to integrate the mold/mount rings for those gauges very easily since Duramix is like a glue when prepped properly. If you can get your hands on some existing pods you could pour your own mold and do it out of carbon fiber. It's probably easier to build it using a cheap 3D printer. The last time I looked you can get basic printers for relatively cheap.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
It is. It was either XP or ME back then and I wanted my OS to work so..... Eventually technology caught up to what the car-pc community had been doing for years. That cobra had a bananas Focal system that looked factory. I tore apart the dash assembly supports apart to move the AC controls down to the bottom so the screen was closer to eye level. It had internet, a fully functioning navigation system, played movies via either disc or the hard drive, and had the capability to run car diagnostics if you had the appropriate licensing. I molded a small computer into the trunk that converted power off the car battery and ran everything. If I parked the car for more than a week I had to have it plugged in or it would drain the battery because small low power PC's didn't exist.. Back then that was a major PITA, now tons of modern cars require plugs lol.

Keep in mind this was pre-iPhone 1. Once the iPhone came out and smart phones took off they rendered all of that useless. Up to that point you had to have a CD changer and a standalone GPS unit mounted to your windshield to accomplish any of that. I had thousands of CD's in lossless format at my disposal on that hard drive. Integrating the CD/DVD/HD drive into that panel was the hardest part.

I did the interface artwork in a collaboration with a programmer in Germany. If you look it even had a Ford logo in the software. I made a power button from an existing interior switch and put it where the cigarette lighter was but it booted directly into this interface when the car was started and was controlled via touch screen. The switch was only there because I made it before someone figured out how to boot off of the ignition:
View attachment 1632962

I did that particular install using semi-flexible 3M Duramix (used for bumper repair) and a sander. You have to use something with give or it will crack as the temperature changes. I wanted that install to look factory so sanding each curve and surface to look factory perfect took a while. If you can find something close to the shape you want you could use the same process to integrate the mold/mount rings for those gauges very easily since Duramix is like a glue when prepped properly. If you can get your hands on some existing pods you could pour your own mold and do it out of carbon fiber. It's probably easier to build it using a cheap 3D printer. The last time I looked you can get basic printers for relatively cheap.

I always wanted to build a carputer setup. I know these days people just jam an android tablet in the dash, but idk seems kinda lame to me.

I found this pic from around 2003 and I thought it'd be hilarious to replicate something like this in the M5. Windows 2000 feeding into the factory 4:3 nav screen using a device called NavToTV. I have the factory 16:9 in my car so at least I'd be able to read that I have unused icons on my desktop.

15562098688_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=RBmJMGaOhRMAX8Obamh&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl1-2.jpg

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I wish I ordered my Roush full catback and got my car ceramic coated.

But I have the car paid 3 months in advance, so I think that was the better choice considering all the bullcrap going on.
Crazy times boys, Crazy times.

Blown 89

Established Member
I always wanted to build a carputer setup. I know these days people just jam an android tablet in the dash, but idk seems kinda lame to me.

I found this pic from around 2003 and I thought it'd be hilarious to replicate something like this in the M5. Windows 2000 feeding into the factory 4:3 nav screen using a device called NavToTV. I have the factory 16:9 in my car so at least I'd be able to read that I have unused icons on my desktop.

View attachment 1632964
Yeah, the ipad in the dash fad is lame.

Don't the new M5's have that weird touch pad thing selector thing? If so that would be awesome.

1996slowbra

Established Member

View attachment 1632964

Like Blown89 said, the issue is with power. Trying to put anything with an x86 processor is just going to draw so much current, even when its on standby. There is a why all tablets and phones run RISC cpu's, the power draw is just so low and you can get them down into power states where they draw almost no power, its why so many android and IOS devices have standby times that can run into the weeks. Honestly, in this day and age android auto and apple car play will do everything you you would want out of a carputer so I dont think something like this would really be worth the effort anymore.

Recon

Established Member
Roush wheels and Roush brakes. I bought a lot of discontinued Roush parts when they were cleaning out their factory. Managed to scoop up a NOS 3V Aluminator block and P-51 rotating assembly among other things I got.

Pick your poison.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Roush wheels and Roush brakes. I bought a lot of discontinued Roush parts when they were cleaning out their factory. Managed to scoop up a NOS 3V Aluminator block and P-51 rotating assembly among other things I got.

Pick your poison.

Roush brakes are a big one for me. Running a willwood setup with roush wheels now but i love the roush alcons.

M55 catback. Always wanted one.

03/04 cobra body parts(had a lot of duplicate hoods, bumpers, mirrors, decklids etc and sold them all 10 plus years ago..)

03/04 cobra alumator

I have some rare svt stuff but I’m holding onto it. Those are 4 items what I’m mad about.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Roush brakes are a big one for me. Running a willwood setup with roush wheels now but i love the roush alcons.

M55 catback. Always wanted one.

03/04 cobra body parts(had a lot of duplicate hoods, bumpers, mirrors, decklids etc and sold them all 10 plus years ago..)

03/04 cobra alumator

I have some rare svt stuff but I’m holding onto it. Those are 4 items what I’m mad about.
Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

How much were the Roush alcons? Why not look into comparable AP Racing brakes?

MFE

Established Member
I need to replace a wheel I got from LMR. Of course, it's out of stock, because it's ChingChongTastic.

Users who are viewing this thread