passenger in a vehicle ? leo only please

CWCobra

Established Member
Well, it seems to me that if a LEO asks for ID, you jolly well better give it to him, regardless of what the "law" says. The "law" is one thing, but practical common sense is another. If the LEO wants it, he gets it, as far as I am concerned. He's the one with the ticket book, the cuffs, and gun.

Just ask yourself this: What's gonna get you home sooner: refusing to give ID because the law says you may, or complying with a LEO request so you can go on your way?

CWCobra

Established Member
What's he goona do???

Anything he wants, that's what. Why not make it easy for the LEO to just send you on your way?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

olefafl

Established Member
What's he goona do???

Anything he wants, that's what. Why not make it easy for the LEO to just send you on your way?

He will be taking me to jail for not giving ID (thats if I did nothing wrong) & then he will be paying me, maybe looking for a new job and telling his/her boss why he/she just cost the tax payers a lot of money (or their other half why he/she is paying me because I am sueing under 1983):read:

This is something that can happen when LEOs don't follow the law.
http://troy.patch.com/articles/rifl...-of-birmingham-for-violating-his-civil-rights

I hope you are not a LEO, you will be costing the tax payers alot of $$.

Why are you so quick to "give up your rights"?

Last edited:

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
What's he goona do???

The going rate for an unlawful detention around here is about $5,000/hr.

CWCobra

Established Member
He will be taking me to jail for not giving ID (thats if I did nothing wrong) & then he will be paying me, maybe looking for a new job and telling his/her boss why he/she just cost the tax payers a lot of money (or their other half why he/she is paying me because I am sueing under 1983):read:

This is something that can happen when LEOs don't follow the law.
Rifle-Toting Troy Teen Sues City of Birmingham for Violating His Civil Rights - Troy, MI Patch

I hope you are not a LEO, you will be costing the tax payers alot of $$.

Why are you so quick to "give up your rights"?

Nope, I'm not a LEO; just a pragmatist. If I can spend 3 minutes or less complying with a request for ID (or a request for anything else from a LEO doing his job) that saves me untold hours of greif (and money?) on down the line, I'm gonna do it. Every time. Sure, I can refuse, file a complaint, go to court, seek judgment, et al, and perhaps I will win in the end.
But at what cost????
Not worth it to me. I'll just show my ID, be done with it, and move along.

Let me ask a hypothetical question:
Suppose you get an IRS tax notice in the mail, penalizing you for one dollar ($1.00). Would you stick to your guns, dig in your heels, hire a tax attorney, and a CPA, take time off from work, go to conference, file appeals, ad nauseum?

Or would you just send them a buck and be done with it?

I'm just sayin pick your battles wisely, that's all.

bodge323

Established Member
You know normally Im one of those that dont want the cops to have too much power or them to over enforce but I dont see a problem with providing an ID. Hell it should be manditory for all US citizens to carry an ID that way we can start catching the illegals and criminals and deport/arrest them.[/COLOR]

This is a slippery slope. Whats after that?

Users who are viewing this thread