PASSENGER SIDE AIR BAG RECALL

Silver Talon

Pronounced: Mahcargo Braaaap
Established Member
Passenger side dash cover is not replaced, they reuse the original cover.
My new bag came with the new cover on it, and looked to be riveted on. But that was a purchase, not a bag under recall.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Snoopy49

Established Member
This is for the 2013-14 cars, I don't know about the earlier cars. The cover is a separate part.

Airbag Trim Cover — Passenger.jpg

Silver Talon

Established Member
That makes sense then. I ordered the whole replacement unit, since the air bag had deployed. Good to know you can do just the cartridges, and save a signed dash.

Silver Talon

Established Member
They roll these recalls out in stages. So they may all be under a recall that hasn't been released yet.

mwilson6192

Established Member
Got my recall notice for the 14 yesterday, letter is dated Feb. 2019, passenger side air bag recall..

I just received my recall notice for my 2014 GT500 yesterday as well. It would seem that the NHTSA got involved and turned this recall from a "geographical" based recall (southern states were issued the recall, northern states were not part of the recall), to ALL affected year GT500's are now mandated regardless of geographical location.

Shaneyusa

Established Member
Got mine yesterday 2/19/19 as well. 2014 GT built 8/13... Kept being told I was not going to have to worry about it. I was not in the recall group. Wrong!

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I just received my recall notice for my 2014 GT500 yesterday as well. It would seem that the NHTSA got involved and turned this recall from a "geographical" based recall (southern states were issued the recall, northern states were not part of the recall), to ALL affected year GT500's are now mandated regardless of geographical location.

I am in TX and I just received my passenger side letter this week.

Tom

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Received mine yesterday. Told wife Ford didn’t care if passenger dies as Drivers airbag was done over a year ago. Of course, we are of an age that child seatbelts meant your dad put the beer down and then hand to the chest. We also played with lawn darts so who is afraid exploding shrapnel airbags.

Silver Talon

Established Member
It's not by location, that's misinformation. I'm in Maine and just got the recalls for my 13 and 14 mustangs.

Funny thing though is the Shelby has 4 brand new bags in it, yet I still got the recall.

mwilson6192

Established Member
Not to belabor the point, but initially the NHTSA did seem to have a regional prioritization recall on the passenger side airbag. Unlike the driver airbag recall which was unequivocal, the passenger airbag recall seems to have morphed to the recent full replacement including additional year Mustangs. From the NHTSA 1/11/2018 Campaign:

January 11, 2018 NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V046000
Passenger Frontal Air Bag Inflator May Explode
An inflator explosion may result in sharp metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V046000

Manufacturer Ford Motor Company

Components AIR BAGS

Potential Number of Units Affected 327,796

Summary

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2013 Ford Mustang vehicles sold, or ever registered in the states of Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), and the U.S. Virgin Islands or "Zone A."

Additionally, Ford is recalling certain 2010 Ford Edge, Fusion, Mustang and Ranger, Lincoln MKX and Zephyr/MKZ, and Mercury Milan vehicles ever registered in the states of Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia or "Zone B."

Ford is also recalling certain 2009 Ford Edge, Fusion, Mustang and Ranger, Lincoln MKX and Zephyr/MKZ, and Mercury Milan vehicles ever registered in the states of Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming or "Zone C."

These vehicles are equipped with air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules, used as original equipment or replacement equipment (such as after a vehicle crash necessitating replacement of the original air bags), that may explode due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to high absolute humidity, temperature and temperature cycling.

Remedy

Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the passenger frontal air bag inflator, free of charge. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 18S01.

A map as well:

Recall Zones Based on Temperature and Humidity
Because these airbags become increasingly unstable in persistently high humidity and temperatures, NHTSA has broken the U.S. and its territories into three zones based on recall priority. This categorization is based on the state’s weather conditions and the likelihood of Takata airbag components degradation.

Takata Recall Zones
Takata-zone-map-1024x680.png

Zone A
This is the highest priority zone. If you receive a recall notice and live in one of the following states, seek repairs immediately.

• Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Zone B
Vehicles in Zone B are in the second highest priority zone. While not as urgent as Zone A, drivers should seek vehicle repairs the moment parts become available.

• Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.
Zone C
Although Zone C is the lowest priority, taking immediate action the moment parts become available to you will keep you and your loved ones safe.

• Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
My car is a 13 DIB, stripe delete, glass roof and all options car with appx 4K on the odometer.

Either your odometer is broken or you need to drive her more. :)

Ok I can’t talk much - my 14 glass roof GT only has 17k on her.

Back on topic, I got my passenger airbag recall letter earlier this week. Won’t be able to schedule until I pull the car out of storage sometime in early May.

stanger1

Established Member
Got me recall air bag recall notice yesterday in the mail.
I was nervous when they did the driver side, now the other side, oh crap.
Don't know when I'll get it done as we are still getting snow.

Users who are viewing this thread