Paxton 5.0 issues

5.0Aurora

Hey forum members!
I have a Paxton 2011 mustang gt with a 3.6" pulley and Lund tuned, I am having an issue on building boost past 6-7psi Lund said I should make 10 psi on the 3.6 pulley yet see less than that! I have tightened the belt I have an 103.32" pulley dont seem to be belt slip, I tried pressure testing and no leaks other than around the oring on the vortech race bov. I pulled the bov off inspected the oring and it is fine but still blows by almost as soon as I get pressure on the whole system.

Mods are stock headers, offroad xpipe, muffler delete, ported stock manifold, & currently vortech intake tube with a filter, going to put the stock air box back on soon to try that, Mechanical boost gauge shows 6-7 psi in 2nd gear at 7200 rpm & 5-6 psi in 3rd at 7000 rpm.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to seal the bov more and any other possible issues you see.

Thanks in advance!

jeffs

Established Member
What's your elevation, I'm only seeing about 7.5 with a 20% lower, and a 3.8 upper, or about 10.5 if on the same lower with a 3.47 upper, not even enough to over-come my spring in my waste-gate, money well spent lol! Btw my elevation is 6400', and my DA is usually 8500'+ which I believe makes a big difference. I've had half a dozen boosted vehicles, and they all fall short on boost pressure compared to other people with similar combos, but I happen to live at high elevation.

5.0Aurora

Jeff I smile 3600' elevation normal DA is low this week but normally 6k+ when it's hot!
I was told by the guy I got the Paxton from he made 8psi he thought with a 3.6 pulley at sea level. But testinng last night it I tested and 2nd gear made like 7psi but 3rd and 4th made 5psi or less. So either belt slip or blow by the vortech max flow bov.

What's your elevation, I'm only seeing about 7.5 with a 20% lower, and a 3.8 upper, or about 10.5 if on the same lower with a 3.47 upper, not even enough to over-come my spring in my waste-gate, money well spent lol! Btw my elevation is 6400', and my DA is usually 8500'+ which I believe makes a big difference. I've had half a dozen boosted vehicles, and they all fall short on boost pressure compared to other people with similar combos, but I happen to live at high elevation.

jeffs

Established Member
Jeff I smile 3600' elevation normal DA is low this week but normally 6k+ when it's hot!
I was told by the guy I got the Paxton from he made 8psi he thought with a 3.6 pulley at sea level. But testinng last night it I tested and 2nd gear made like 7psi but 3rd and 4th made 5psi or less. So either belt slip or blow by the vortech max flow bov.
Gotcha, My paxton BOV leaks a small amount when tested on the bench.

Gruca

Established Member
The BOV that comes with the Paxton kit is not that great. If you think it might be that, the kit JPC sells with the elbow and BOV together is a good setup. It’s certainly louder as you pulley down more, but it never flutters and never leaks.

When I had a 3.8 pulley and the Vortech BOV, mine fluttered like crazy on deceleration. Not sure how it hasn’t driven you crazy with a 3.6 pulley.

5.0Aurora

Well the bov I have is not the stock one from the kit that is a by pass valve... I have a vortech maxflow race bov so it's a good bov and loud just not holding. I contacted vortech they suggested to change the diaphragm so I have one ordered.

The BOV that comes with the Paxton kit is not that great. If you think it might be that, the kit JPC sells with the elbow and BOV together is a good setup. It’s certainly louder as you pulley down more, but it never flutters and never leaks.

When I had a 3.8 pulley and the Vortech BOV, mine fluttered like crazy on deceleration. Not sure how it hasn’t driven you crazy with a 3.6 pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread