Paxton on 3.6 pulley vs Wastegated 11 psi set up.

RusWolf

Established Member
Hi all.

Should be getting retuned soon fir the fuel system and been thinking about either doing a wastegate at 11 psi or dropping down to 3.6 pulley.

Whats a better set up and "safer" for stock motor?

I'm running pretty much exclusively on E85 and when i do switch to 93 once in a while its 93 + octane booster (lucas/torco/VP octanium) to make i have at least real 93 octane for safety.

Will 3.6 be comparable in TQ numbers to a wastegate set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Hi all.

Should be getting retuned soon fir the fuel system and been thinking about either doing a wastegate at 11 psi or dropping down to 3.6 pulley.

Whats a better set up and "safer" for stock motor?

I'm running pretty much exclusively on E85 and when i do switch to 93 once in a while its 93 + octane booster (lucas/torco/VP octanium) to make i have at least real 93 octane for safety.

Will 3.6 be comparable in TQ numbers to a wastegate set up?

3.6 will have less tq but more hp up top. I'd be curious about this too. I may go to a 3.6 if I can't figure out my belt slip with the tq booster setup

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
With e-85 you can do a 3.33 pulley with a waste gate. I have one and Im making 641/557 wheel hp on 93+ lucas octane booster... Although i was told by my tuner Adam at rev auto that if went e-85 i should go with billet oil pump gears!

RusWolf

Established Member
Anyone has a dyno sheet of a paxton on 3.6 pulley?

Its wild how some people DO have slip issues with WG and some do not.

Also another reason why im thinking about just doing the 3.6 is bcuz its like 10 times less than a WG set up from beefcake.

I already have a 3.33 pulley and a belt for it, i did have a turbosmart 45mm WG and 11 psi spring and i was going to have it welded to the pipe. However some low life broke into my apartment in December and apparently one of the items taken was the effing WG.
That POS low life probably doesn't even know what to do with it and i hope karma will catch up to them!

PC03GT

Established Member
What's your exhaust setup? I have the 3.6 on my vortech, 670,530 sae, that's with kooks longtubes and o/r h pipe

PC03GT

Established Member
I had an lethal o/r h pipe previously. Picked up 30 hp with the 3.6 pulley and then another 30 on torco. Then I went to longtubes and picked up another 40hp.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
If you are 6 rib, go with the 3.6. It's a great set up.

8 rib and I'd go wastegated and enjoy the added power down low.

I had a wastegated 6 rib and fought slip issues. Belt selection and tensioner positioning will be critical.

RusWolf

Established Member
If you are 6 rib, go with the 3.6. It's a great set up.

8 rib and I'd go wastegated and enjoy the added power down low.

I had a wastegated 6 rib and fought slip issues. Belt selection and tensioner positioning will be critical.

Yea i know all about your wild slip issues. Lol
And yes im on 6 rib. The most basic set up pretty much, not even LTH.
And made 650/500 E85 on revauto dyno on stock 3.8 pulley.

Last edited:

PC03GT

Established Member
Pulley down then, you should be damn near close 700 considering the Paxton is larger then the V3. Rev tuned my car also:beer:

Last edited:

RusWolf

Established Member
Does anyone have a 3.6 for sale? lol..

I wonderwhat would be a faster car, 3.6 car or WG car at 10-11 psi.

Will WG car be much faster due to more mid TQ or will it even out due to less top end power?
Anyone tried to compare?

stang910

Established Member
I ran a 6.65/10.48 with the 3.6 pulley on 93 octane. The car easily ran 10.6's all day long. Do the 3.6 and save yourself some cash. I also ran the 3.33 without the wastegate with 93+meth and E85 for the track and it was just too much power for the street IMO. Even with my hoosiers on the street it would have to fight for traction doing a 3rd gear pull.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
OP, just like you have already mentioned, a wastegate setup with a 3.33 pulley at 10-11.6psi will be faster then a 3.6 pulley only.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
OP, just like you have already mentioned, a wastegate setup with a 3.33 pulley at 10-11.6psi will be faster then a 3.6 pulley only.

You think there will be much difference in a 3.6 vs 10 psi wg? Sure the wg will have more mid range but less top end. I can't imagine there is more than a .1 difference between the the two. Now if you set the wg to 11.5 of course it will win out.

RusWolf

Established Member
Isn't 3.6 is like 11 psi at least?
My stock 3.8 with jlt intake and BOSS IM produced 9.

If I theoretically add LTH's will it lower boost psi or remain unchanged?

Last edited:

sdoo500

Established Member
My car made 632/535 with beefcakes waste gate on a stingy dyno. Power around 4k is great.

I am glad I went with the waste gate set up. No belt slip at all for me even with 3.73s which will end up getting changed eventually but I really don't mind them at the moment. I know it's an issue with some people, but I think the belt slip issue gets a little exaggerated online. Still on 6 rib as well.

sdoo500

Established Member
Nice. Was that on 93 pump?

Yup pump 93. No additive or booster or anything. Enjoying the power for now. No E85 local to me and I drive the car on a good amount of road trips and don't want to plan routes around making sure I can get fuel.

PC03GT

Established Member
I would see if you could a ride a 3.6 car and wg car, then decide from there

Users who are viewing this thread