Pay as you drive anual billing

slidai

Established Member
I saw the thread about the $60 registration fee and it got me thinking. I know here and other places around the country (some may have already implemented this) there is talk about charging you for the actual mikes you drive vs. a flat fee like there is now. My understanding is that when you get your car inspected, the milage is entered and you would get a bill from the DMV based on the miles you drove that year.

So, thoughts?

VictorySong

Established Member
I'd love it. The odometer on my truck doesn't work and I only drove my cobra 78 miles last year, ~60 this year. :)

oldmodman

Established Member
My opinion is similar but a little different.

All state registration and insurance premiums should be pay at the pump.

Don't drive much, have a little light weight car, you don't pay much.

Have a truck or really heavy vehicle, drive 40K a year, you pay a whole lot more.

Same with the insurance. Don't drive many miles, light weight car that can't do a whole lot of damage, low yearly expenditure.

And since this would only cover damage that your car does to other cars, people, or property you would need to buy a secondary policy to cover your vehicle for theft, vandalism, weather related damage and so on.

And since it doesn't matter who was at fault in an accident, maybe fewer people would flee the scene of an accident.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
speedometer errors induced by non stock tires or even factory alternates would seem to make this ineffective. I read somewhere that the accepted error from Ford on speedometers, except police cars, is plus or minus 3 mph. Compute such an error over time. My Sport Track has the smaller diameter size of the recommended tires and it induces a 4 mph error to the high side and therefore is running slightly more mileage on the odometer than is really driven.

The Snake

DefCon3

Established Member
I saw the thread about the $60 registration fee and it got me thinking. I know here and other places around the country (some may have already implemented this) there is talk about charging you for the actual mikes you drive vs. a flat fee like there is now. My understanding is that when you get your car inspected, the milage is entered and you would get a bill from the DMV based on the miles you drove that year.

So, thoughts?

Will they drop state and federal gasoline taxes? Excise taxes on tires?

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
It would never work...there are ways around all systems and not all areas have "inspections"...

With that said I would be screwed. 20k in my own cars and 15k in the work truck so far this year.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Won't ever work. Government only adds new taxes. They never replace one tax with another, they only take more and more.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
People who want this usually have no job due to their Masters in some useless area, unless you count bitching about and protesting everything. They feel the government screws them over yet, they pay no taxes, get welfare, free healthcare, money for a house, money for a free car, etc...

Get a job and pay for your own stuff, then these people will stop crying.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Won't ever work. Government only adds new taxes. They never replace one tax with another, they only take more and more.

While that is true for some, it is certainly not true for many others. For them, we pay more, and they take more. :rolleyes:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
A couple of points some may have not thought about. Has anyone thought of the second and third order effects or have you just looked at this idea in isolation? This might work for Europe or other societies where people are very close knit or geographically speaking in a smaller area. The sheer size of the United States makes this impractical. How would this effect the tourist industry? Or the national parks? Or industries where people have to drive to make a living? Or the airline industry jacking up prices because people will be forced to choose between a plane ticket or a yet another new tax!!And for what? - yet another tax burden that will suddenly solve all of our ills? I know with all the millionaires on this forum it may not be a big deal. But some of us drive for a living. Some of us like to take a road trip or two. Has anybody really thought this out or do you just look at the short term gain? Some of you really need to take a step back and look at the big picture

MachJoe

Established Member
I welcome it. I'll pull the fuse on my DD and get a GPS that tells me my speed. I don't drive the Mach much, but I could probably do the same for that. Problem solved.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
IIRC from my days in NC, there system already takes into account both vehicle value as well as miles driven. I'm sure other states have already played around with this as a mechanism for charging the heaviest users of roads a bit more.

Paying at the pump won't work because if you have a very efficient car you pay less than say a work truck, even though the efficient car may be driving significantly more miles. The other point against that is that values would need to be constantly changing since efficiency will constantly be changing on average. I'm pretty sure that this variable could be abused or neglected by the local governments.

In this scheme the only fair mechanism is to use some metric that will always remain constant. A mile will likely always be a mile so that's fair.

slidai

Established Member
Will they drop state and federal gasoline taxes? Excise taxes on tires?

I'm not 100% sure but I think they were going to remove some taxes and replace with this. From what I remember, its fractions of a penny on the dollar per mile. So most people show drive normal milage ( 12-15k ) a year, wouldn't see any real difference in what they pay.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
speedometer errors induced by non stock tires or even factory alternates would seem to make this ineffective. I read somewhere that the accepted error from Ford on speedometers, except police cars, is plus or minus 3 mph. Compute such an error over time. My Sport Track has the smaller diameter size of the recommended tires and it induces a 4 mph error to the high side and therefore is running slightly more mileage on the odometer than is really driven.

The Snake

This seems to be true. Every where I have taken my F150 and ran into the speed cameras in work zones show me doing 3 mph below my speedo. Actually its that way with the majority of my cars.

Users who are viewing this thread