PCV vacume line question with picture

metaman

Established Member
So I am going through all of my vacuum lines looking for dry rotted stuff. I have found that all of the lines associated with the PCV system where dry rotted and need replacement. I pulled the large lines that go from the PCV valve on the drivers side valve cover off. When I did this I found that there is a T fitting in the line that T's off right behind the blower and goes down behind the back of the Engine. Here is a pick of the T fitting I am referring to.

editedpcvlinepic2.jpg

Here is the a pic of the end of the vacume line that was attached to the T on the fitting above that goes back behind the engine. I can not see where it goes and I need to know if it is nessesary. It is hard and dry and needs to be replaced if it has to be there. Can I eliminate it? Where does it go to?

editedpcvlinepic1.jpg

metaman

Established Member
Thank you, I have decided to plug it. I am going to eliminate this whole set up and run breathers on both valve covers.

03SVTKB

Established Member
is it better to just run a breather on the passenger side valve cover?
what is best? :shrug::shrug:

metaman

Established Member
is it better to just run a breather on the passenger side valve cover?
what is best? :shrug::shrug:

I have just done a bunch of research on it. If you do a breather on one side, you have to do it on both of them. If you just do a breather on one side and not the other then the vacume of the intake will actually pull air through the crank case from the valve cover with the open breather which will be un-metered air which is bad.

The negative side effect of going to breathers on both sides was that supposedly you can end up getting some oil mist coming out of the breather on to the valve cover over time. I am still deciding weather I am just going to restore the factory system and install some check valves in line, or just delete the it and run breathers instead.

The other option which does not clean up the engine bay is to put a check valve inline between the intake and the valve cover where the PCV valve is. People have reported that this prevents oil from being put into the intake.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Hey Brad, what are the advantages over a conventional PCV valve? I believe the PCV does essentially allow movement of fluid in both directions, but it also closes under high pressure situations such as WOT. Does the Check Valve function similarly?

Trent,I don`t run this set-up,but i`m pretty sure it`s used inconjuntion with the pcv valve.Maybe SilverBoost or one of the other guys running this will chime in.
I`ll see if I can find a thread about these,I know the`re on here somewhere.

03SVTKB

Established Member

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
What would be the best method to run with the PCV system?
1) pass side head to check valve and then to the intake?
2) pass side head to JLT PCV Pre-Filter JLT PCV Pre-Filter [PCVPF] - $47.00 : JLT PERFORMANCE SHOP, Welcome to JLT performance then to intake?
3) or whatever the best option is to keep the pcv system working but not to get oil in the intake

(Driver side head has oil separator on it)
Feed back welcomed
Thanks

I don't think very much oil comes through the passenger side head at all. I know of a few people that have run separators on there and seen less than a few drops in the time it takes the driver side to completely fill.

metaman

Established Member
For now I just replaced the large diameter lines with new ones because I am a cheap ass on unemployment compensation. However, as I have discovered in my research going through a bunch of old threads, there is a problem with pressure traveling the wrong direction back into the valve cover through the PCV. This supposedly happens when you shut down the throttle suddenly while in boost (shifting). This sends a pressure wave the wrong direction back flowing into the PCV valve. The result is that on the other side where the air intake tube attaches to the passenger valve cover, the puff of air pressure sends oil up through that tube and into the intake. The check valve is supposed to stop the pressure wave before it gets to the PCV valve thus stopping the whole scenario from going down.

I need to find a check valve that has the correct size nipples on it so it can be plummed easily. I am going to check the link provided earlier in the thread for such a product. If this was a show car, I would just eliminate the PCV and run two breathers. However, it is not and I do not really care if the lines remain there. For the same reason I have decided to keep the EGR.

Users who are viewing this thread