Pedal Stuck Under Carpet...PLEASE READ!!!

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
kirks5oh said:
i know exactly what you're talking about where a velcro flap along the right side of the pedal is coming away and curling out towards the pedal. however, this is NOT the problematic area. the problematic area is shown in a picture at the beginning of this thread--it is underneath the pedal. trust me, once you have this happen to you, you will not trust the tape, CUT THE CARPET like the pictures show on this thread.
Thanks, I just went back and studied it some more. Now that I look at the picture in the beginning of this thread and what mine looks like it appears that the carpet in the picture is installed shifted towards the back of the car. In this pic. It does appear that the bottom of the pedal would have caught on the edge of the carpet. On my car however the carpet is further up towards the firewall and I pushed the pedal all the way down, no problem. Maybe this is an installation issue. I need to find out how to post a pic. Does anyone know if we need to contact admin. to get authorization for this?

sunburst six

Established Member
If it makes anyone feel better, my brother and I are developing a spacer/bumpstop kit as we speak. We'll be doing a lot of testing, so it could take a few weeks. We're designing the spacer out of cnc'd aluminum with a notch that should prevent the cable from bending. The hardest part will be designing the bumpstop, since it'll be at such an usual strike angle. Either way, I'll keep you guys updated.

-Kyle

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I'm glad I found this link! I just bought a 2003 Cobra with only 3,750 miles. I doubt this has been taken care of on my car. I pick up the car in about a week. The first thing I'm going to check is the carpet. Thanks!

04SVTCobra

Established Member
I knew I wasn't the only one that this has happened to! It happened to me a couple of weeks ago at Infenion raceway. It was my first time down the 1/4 mile! And when the car wouldn't stop hitting the rev limiter I was so angry at myself. I thought I had broken something major! After figuring out that the gas pedal was stuck on the carpet, I also noticed how weak the gas pedal assembly is. I can actually bent it with my fingers! It's not made out the same material the clutch and brake pedal assemblies are. What's the deal with that? :shrug: That's why the pedal got stuck on the carpet! Does anyone make a replacement?
If it keeps on bending like that I eventually might not be at WOT since it's going to be all warped! And it's only a matter of time before it brakes. :mj:

jberylec

Established Member
04SVTCobra said:
I knew I wasn't the only one that this has happened to! It happened to me a couple of weeks ago at Infenion raceway. It was my first time down the 1/4 mile! And when the car wouldn't stop hitting the rev limiter I was so angry at myself. I thought I had broken something major! After figuring out that the gas pedal was stuck on the carpet, I also noticed how weak the gas pedal assembly is. I can actually bent it with my fingers! It's not made out the same material the clutch and brake pedal assemblies are. What's the deal with that? :shrug: That's why the pedal got stuck on the carpet! Does anyone make a replacement?
If it keeps on bending like that I eventually might not be at WOT since it's going to be all warped! And it's only a matter of time before it brakes. :mj:

I think I saw that! I was there, heard it pinging.
Cut your carpet!!

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
I've filled out the form mentioned earlier in this thread. I was contacted by someone working for the government and we traded emails. He said that he was working with Ford on the matter. I provided him a detailed explanation as well as photographs. It has been a few months now and I haven't heard anything back.

When that happens, I take matters into my own hands. I went down to Ford and explained the issue and they replaced the carpet (actually I helped and got my hands deep in it). The replacement carpet fet PERFECTLY! Just as it should when it came from the assembly plant.

My suggestion is to push your point with Ford and tell them what has happened to you. Once you can show that the carpet does not line up properly they should replace it. Now mine was still under warranty and covered as such.

s/cjackazz

Established Member
I just bought an 04 this month and the second day I had it the pedal stuck to the floor while I was in second gear. Before I could figure what the hell was going on I was heading into an intersection that had a red light for me. :fm: I'll admit it scared the hell outta me but after looking at the carpet (which was pulled and curled up) I noticed the pedal was riding the trany tunnel raking the carpet through almost the whole range of motion. My pedel arms is a pretty weak POS (flexable) it didn't take much effort to bend it back. The next day it was back riding the carpet :cuss: It had 2300miles on it the night I bought it. Told the wife to turn the car off if it happens to her. I would like to see a stronger pedel arm myself. I've sence checked to see if the TB is opening up all the way and it isn't so I keep havening to bend the arm ever so often. Complaint will be filed

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
Torch Red 10th said:
This isn't the solution (Ford should make it right) but this is what I did and I love it......Gas Pedal Mod

Good mod, I haven't done it to the Cobra yet, but I did it to my old '00 GT.

This problem just happened to me today (I'm suprised it hadn't happened until now). I filed a complaint and will fix the carpet before I drive it again.

I was not aware of the problem at all, untill it happened to me.

1RUDE03SVT

haha gotta love ford

I had the same problem, needless to say, had the carpet replaced. gets better, when i was leaving the service dept. after bitching out everyone in there, a sales person had the nerve to ask if they could sell me another Ford. i laughed and told her it was the last ford i bought since i almost died in it. i told her ill be turning over to the dark side, come hollar at me in the c6 z06. :pepper:

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
1RUDE03SVT said:
I had the same problem, needless to say, had the carpet replaced. gets better, when i was leaving the service dept. after bitching out everyone in there, a sales person had the nerve to ask if they could sell me another Ford. i laughed and told her it was the last ford i bought since i almost died in it. i told her ill be turning over to the dark side, come hollar at me in the c6 z06. :pepper:

Is the quality better with the new carpet they put in? The quality of Ford's carpet seems to have gone downhill since '00, instead of uphill like the quality of the vinyl (leatherette).

Emil

Established Member
The disappointing part about this whole thing is look how long the thread has been going and still no recall to warn those unaware !

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
It happened to me at MIR luckly I shut it down and pulled the pedal off the carpet . The problem is not only the carpet the actual pedal gets bend easily as well causing it to ride closer to the carpet. I bend my pedal back for now.. will go to the dealer for a replacement

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
booricua said:
It happened to me at MIR luckly I shut it down and pulled the pedal off the carpet . The problem is not only the carpet the actual pedal gets bend easily as well causing it to ride closer to the carpet. I bend my pedal back for now.. will go to the dealer for a replacement

Yeah the pedal assembly is amazingly wimpy. I did the gas pedal mod (takes the slack out and raises the pedal an inch or so) and the first time I got on it the whole lever bent down just as far as it was before.

SATX_Mystic

Established Member
The pedal hung on me last month. I'm supposed to take the cobra to get the pedal replaced tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I bent it trying to kick it unstuck. When you compare the clutch/brake pedals to the gas its amazingly flimsy.

I'd buy a high quality replacement as soon as someone has one out there builds one.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
SATX_Mystic said:
The pedal hung on me last month. I'm supposed to take the cobra to get the pedal replaced tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I bent it trying to kick it unstuck. When you compare the clutch/brake pedals to the gas its amazingly flimsy.

I'd buy a high quality replacement as soon as someone has one out there builds one.

Yeah, if you reach down and pull up on the gas pedal you can feel the flimsy arm bending. As flexible as it is, it needs a solid stop at WOT position.

Users who are viewing this thread