Pennzoil Synchromesh...glad I changed from stock to this!

fiveohfanatic

ITS STOCK I SWEAR
Established Member
The problem starts with some of the older manual transmissions using gear oil as lubricants. Newer manual trannys use ATF. With synchromesh it should be fine as long as its not too thick and can get into the synchros and tight tolerances.

I just bought 4 quarts of it too and wainting on my shifter gaskets to put the oil in. On the bottle it does say synchromesh. I can almost guarentee its thicker than ATF, which is why you shouldn't use thicker oils in a manual. However it does say synchromesh and formulated for MT.

With so many people using it, I think a don't do this would have been posted if people where having trannys fail due to running it. Who knows, I plan to give it a try unless someone has a horror story from doing so.

Jack32v

Slow Lane..
Established Member
Quick question: When you guys bought bottles of the Pennzoil Syncromesh did it have foil or plastic under the cap to seal it or if you remove the cap was it open? Reason I am asking is I ordered a 6 pack over the net and two of the bottles leaked I checked the rest and they all look good but there is no foil or anything under the cap....

black 10th vert

Established Member
Quick question: When you guys bought bottles of the Pennzoil Syncromesh did it have foil or plastic under the cap to seal it or if you remove the cap was it open? Reason I am asking is I ordered a 6 pack over the net and two of the bottles leaked I checked the rest and they all look good but there is no foil or anything under the cap....

I don't think they have the inner seal, because 1 of the bottles leaked in the back of my Explorer on the way back from the parts store, because the cap was slightly loose.:bash: Haven't opened them yet to see if they do have the inner seal, though. I was pretty pissed to have to clean that shit up when I got home though.:cuss:

Jack32v

Slow Lane..
Established Member
All of mine had seals I had to puncture.

Any other of you guys have a seal you had to break? If so I am going to be returning all six because none of mine had any type of seal... and Im not going to risk it.

EDIT: They do have foil seals, when I unscrewed the caps the seal was stuck to the bottom of the cap not the top of the bottle.

Last edited:

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Just came inside from garage, Changed to Penzoil syncromesh, Im a believer now, Feels so much better, I will never go back to ATF.
Meh, based on a lot of good reports about this stuff, I just did this over the weekend and can't tell any difference. I've used the factory fill Motorcraft Dexron, Mobil 1 full syn ATF, and now the Pennzoil Synchromesh. All felt the same to me. Still hitting a wall getting into every gear...not smooth at all. Will be trying the "anti-venom" washer mod soon.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/686622-want-smoother-shifts-try.html

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Meh, based on a lot of good reports about this stuff, I just did this over the weekend and can't tell any difference. I've used the factory fill Motorcraft Dexron, Mobil 1 full syn ATF, and now the Pennzoil Synchromesh. All felt the same to me. Still hitting a wall getting into every gear...not smooth at all. Will be trying the "anti-venom" washer mod soon.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/686622-want-smoother-shifts-try.html

Big difference here. Hmm, just wait till you do the anti-venom mod.
The T-56 will be absolute butter...

kdillard21

Established Member
Let me ask you guys, Have you had any adverse affects from switching to the Syncromesh fluid compared to the ATF ? I called and talked to Ford and they recommend using the ATF fluid only. I called Tremec and talked to them and they DO NOT recommend using anything but Mobil1 synthetic ATF fluid, I mentioned that a lot of Cobra owners are switching to the Pennzoil syncromesh and he stated it would void any warranty on the transmission. I am planning on doing a full clutch swap (PP, clutch, flywheel, fork, cable, ect ect ect) and figure i would swap the fluid. I already ordered a case of the Pennzoil synromesh, I just dont want to damage the transmission by using the wrong fluid.

I know this is a little old, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong info from the above quote. I called TREMEC tech support yesterday and asked "Are there any other fluids than DEX III that you recommend for the T-56?"

Him: "Ahhhh yes lets see here, Mobil 1 ATF and Synchromesh."
Me: "Pennzoil or GM Synchromesh?"
Him: "Doesn't matter, GM just charges more and it's basically the same."
Me: "What about Royal Purple Synchromax?"
Him: "Well they claim that its compatible, but we haven't tested it...it's gets too expensive for us to test every fluid."
Me: "Do you need the friction modified version?"
Him: "Oh no, definitely not."
Me: "So I have been running Mobil 1 ATF for about 1,000 miles and it almost feels like it grinds going 2-3 shift when cold."
Him: "Well, people tend to have the best performance based on our feedback from the Synchromesh..."

So I picked up some today and swapped it out. So far so good, but if it still wants to notch or "somewhat-feels-like-a-grind" then I will post back. BTW, my car only has 6,000 miles on it, so the synchros and blocker rings should be flawless.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I know this is a little old, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong info from the above quote. I called TREMEC tech support yesterday and asked "Are there any other fluids than DEX III that you recommend for the T-56?"

Him: "Well they claim that its compatible, but we haven't tested it...it's gets too expensive for us to test every fluid."
Me: "So I have been running Mobil 1 ATF for about 1,000 miles and it almost feels like it grinds going 2-3 shift when cold."
Him: "Well, people tend to have the best performance based on our feedback from the Synchromesh..."

So I picked up some today and swapped it out. So far so good, but if it still wants to notch or "somewhat-feels-like-a-grind" then I will post back. BTW, my car only has 6,000 miles on it, so the synchros and blocker rings should be flawless.

Thanks for this update, because I bought some Pennzoil last year, and was finally going to put it in this week.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
thats crazy. my car shifts like absolute butter with the factory fill dex III. My car has about 34K miles and even when i switched the shifter to a mgw 15k miles ago, i just couldn't bring myself to change the fluid. It shifts that good with the factory fill

Jsko

Established Member

Yea my car is also stock with 10k miles and has a notch going into 2nd, only when cold though. I'm also looking at replacing the fluid with Synchromesh.

kdillard21

Established Member
well from everything I have read, we aren't going to be able to get the same results from every fluid in every T-56. Some people's work and other's don't. I think the synchromesh is just OK, based on driving it today. It is more notchy than it was with the Mobil 1 ATF, but better cold performance. It's just a notchy tranny to begin with though. I will leave the synchromesh in for a little while, then I may go to something else just for trial and error.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
well from everything I have read, we aren't going to be able to get the same results from every fluid in every T-56. Some people's work and other's don't. I think the synchromesh is just OK, based on driving it today. It is more notchy than it was with the Mobil 1 ATF, but better cold performance. It's just a notchy tranny to begin with though. I will leave the synchromesh in for a little while, then I may go to something else just for trial and error.

Have you done the ant-venom mod?
If not, this has helped as well

kdillard21

Established Member
Nah I have no desire to do the anti-venom mod, but I know the corvette guys love it. I don't mind notchiness as long as it doesn't feel like its going to grind or cause damage.

z28misfit

Established Member
I'm sure that many on here have never heard of a company called BG Products? I work for my dads auto repair shop and we use alot of their products.They are a private company that blends their own oils. Anyways I'm running their version of synchromesh which theirs is called SyncroShift. You wont find BG products in an auto parts store.Check local garages and or dealerships,because they don't sell to the mass public like Pennzoil and what not. Which is what I love about the company,,because they make superior oil products and car maitenance products like fuel injection cleaners and etc for the proffessional technician to use only. But anyways,,I just recently swapped out my ATF for their SyncroShift and so far no problems. Also added their MGC additive in the trans as well which is like an extreme pressure friction modifier.

slvr35th

Established Member
I'm sure that many on here have never heard of a company called BG Products? I work for my dads auto repair shop and we use alot of their products.They are a private company that blends their own oils. Anyways I'm running their version of synchromesh which theirs is called SyncroShift. You wont find BG products in an auto parts store.Check local garages and or dealerships,because they don't sell to the mass public like Pennzoil and what not. Which is what I love about the company,,because they make superior oil products and car maitenance products like fuel injection cleaners and etc for the proffessional technician to use only. But anyways,,I just recently swapped out my ATF for their SyncroShift and so far no problems. Also added their MGC additive in the trans as well which is like an extreme pressure friction modifier.

Bg is the has the best products on the market. If people aren't running their products in their cars and trucks and are running that s*** you buy from parts store that they like to promote, that are just throwing there money away. Also you get a unitmated mile warrenty if you use there products as recommended, sounds like they think their stuff works.

z28misfit

Established Member
Bg is the has the best products on the market. If people aren't running their products in their cars and trucks and are running that s*** you buy from parts store that they like to promote, that are just throwing there money away. Also you get a unitmated mile warrenty if you use there products as recommended, sounds like they think their stuff works.

I'm glad to hear when other people know about BG!!!:) There stuff isnt exactly cheap but I dont run any other products in anything I drive that I plan on running hard.Even my daily rides have their products in them.

Users who are viewing this thread