People who stream TV, come in pls.

Khan

BANNED STOCK BRAKE PADS GURU
Established Member
Roku 3 here.... Greatest thing since sliced bread....
-Netflix, Hulu, Amazon prime, powerblock tv, YouTube, Pandora, direct tv via at&t.....the list is endless.

Oh yeah no commercials!
Cut that cable!

jbou91

Established Member
You guys with Roku's should look into private channels.... I pay $10-15 a month for a private Roku channel with nearly all channels, PPV, etc...

SHOdown220

Established Member
Been using strictly Netflix and Amazon prime for about 2 years but just added spectrum (charter) streaming cable. So no cable box I just use their app through my Xbox. I also have a firestick. I'm about to cancel the streaming cable though the app is garbage and works when it wants to with a lot of buffering and randomly saying it can't play. This goes for live tv and on demand. We use Netflix more than anything.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have Netflix Premium (HD) and Amazon Prime. I so have DirecTV at the moment, but I'm focusing on Netflix mainly. So far, I'm pleased. If I'm content with Netflix, I will likely cancel DirecTV by the end of the year.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
From someone who just cut it: I purchased an amazon fire stick and opted for the direct TV now package ($10/month). In three months I'll register again and get the discount provided it is still available. Anyway, with the streaming service/A.P./apps, this thing easily replaces the satellite. When I stream DTN, IMO, it works better in every aspect from resolution, program guide, etc.., I've been using a free app Tubi which is solid for people who like all sorts of movies (cult, horror, action, etc..,) and I've also been using NBC for the throwback programs available, which is free BTW, like the Equalizer, Miami Vice, Quantum Leap and more. After using this toy, there is no way in hell I'd go back to a full on subscription television service.

sono

Established Member
Have 7 apple tvs. Netflix, hlu , sling, amazon, HBO, SHO
Works out for me!
nice thing about the apple is the support and updates. The devices just work!

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Cut the cord a few months ago and don’t regret it one bit. We use Netflix, Prime, and Terrarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blown 89

Established Member
You do realize that they can't legally do that right? Also, when they tell you a third party router isn't as fast they're full of shit. Tell them to suck a dick and get your own setup

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Roku all the way .... and you should look at satellite service for your internet. Hughes net for example.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Direct TV Now is the truth. It's well worth it and basically is plain jane DirectTV.

We have that along with Netflix and HDTV antennas. Never struggle to have things to watch. 50/month is plenty fair for all the sports, lady shows, and movies we want to watch

Stanger00

Established Member
Its provided by charter. They sent it to us saying only their routers will allow the top speeds.

Google search. Chromecast blocked by charter spectrum. Enjoy.

Sent from my LG-US998 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Maybe you're equipment was out of date and didn't support their new software. Nothing on their approved modem list said all routers will be throttled if they were not supplied by Charter. However, they have this language for business customers.

Net neutrality is controlling content not modems, IMO.

Spent a couple minutes and found out that this is forced onto you because this is how they are testing their gigabyte service. This is a controlled test with specific equipment. It could get better in the future or you can bridge a router and only run off the bridged router but I would run LANs to each device like TVs and such. Run 5ghz if possible for everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

96gt02

Established Member
Cut the cord a little over 2 years ago myself. I personally use SlingTv ($25 plan) 90% of the time, I have firesticks on all my TVs and I also have chromecasts on two of them as well for Youtube TV which i get for super cheap (split it with 6 people at work so $6 a month). I basically only use Youtube TV for maybe like 5 channels that I dont get with my Sling package because its cheaper through my youtube since I pay so little, also sling is much more like actual cable tv vs youtube tv since you have to cast everything with youtube tv. I also have Kodi and Terrarium downloaded on all my firesticks so I can easily watch any movie ever for free. I do have amazon prime as well but literally never use it because the selection sucks, and I have never really been interested in getting Netflix since I dont get much into TV series and already have every movie ever on the sticks.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
From someone who just cut it: I purchased an amazon fire stick and opted for the direct TV now package ($10/month). In three months I'll register again and get the discount provided it is still available. Anyway, with the streaming service/A.P./apps, this thing easily replaces the satellite. When I stream DTN, IMO, it works better in every aspect from resolution, program guide, etc.., I've been using a free app Tubi which is solid for people who like all sorts of movies (cult, horror, action, etc..,) and I've also been using NBC for the throwback programs available, which is free BTW, like the Equalizer, Miami Vice, Quantum Leap and more. After using this toy, there is no way in hell I'd go back to a full on subscription television service.
I have DirecTV and looked into DirecTV Now but was told by their customer service that it was still buggy (as of June), with occasional buffering issues and inconsistent video quality. In other words, you might be expecting an HD movie or program but will sometimes get non-HD. It also doesn't offer any DVR capabilities. That's big! They're planning on offering DVR capability next year from what I'm hearing. And when watching shows, you can pause them, but that's all you can do. You can't rewind or fast-forward, no matter how long the show has been running. If you pause a show and decide you'd like to catch up, you have no choice but to refresh the whole stream.

There are other glitches issues. So while it's a good alternative to cable or satellite (DirecTV), it has bugs and negatives that hopefully will get worked out.

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
According to Google chromecast tech support, who is fantastic btw, said its something in their new routers. I was on the phone with Google for quite a while, she called charter on 3way and asked them to disable the block and they refused. I can go back to a slower speed router and be able to use the chromecast. The google tech chic was cool as hell. Said more and more areas are being affected with chromecast block. She explained its all about the net neutrality crap we've been hearing about. I have to use charter for internet, there are no other viable options.

Sent from my LG-US998 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I just switched to Spectrum (aka Charter) and you're correct. The wifi router they give you has Google Casting blocked. There are no settings inside it to change this either. Since I gave my old router to my dad I had to order a new one and it will be here today. Should fix the issue and be faster than the Arris TR4400 they gave me.

As far as streaming we have subscriptions to Hulu (comm free), Netflix & HBO. Most of our TVs are newer and have the hardware built in. Also have Rokus that work flawlessly. I also cast from my laptop some. Then we have some flat HD antennas that work great for local OTA broadcast.

Last edited:

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I have DirecTV and looked into DirecTV Now but was told by their customer service that it was still buggy (as of June), with occasional buffering issues and inconsistent video quality. In other words, you might be expecting an HD movie or program but will sometimes get non-HD. It also doesn't offer any DVR capabilities. That's big! They're planning on offering DVR capability next year from what I'm hearing. And when watching shows, you can pause them, but that's all you can do. You can't rewind or fast-forward, no matter how long the show has been running. If you pause a show and decide you'd like to catch up, you have no choice but to refresh the whole stream.

There are other glitches issues. So while it's a good alternative to cable or satellite (DirecTV), it has bugs and negatives that hopefully will get worked out.

IMO any bugs are far outweighed by the expensive price tag for DTV on a few television sets in a home. My cable internet is quite fast (triple digits) so the only bugs I have encountered would be the channel changing on its own back to a previous channel and it has done that a few times. For $10/month I can easily look past it. Actually Bob, it does have DVR. Yes it is cloud based 20 hr DVR but it is DVR. Maybe I'll try it tonight and see if it works better than a rudimentary version. Something trivial I enjoy is how the channels are in alphabetical order rather than numerical!

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I cut the cord long ago, and have jumped from SlingTv to Hulu Live and now I'm with Youtube TV. I also have Netflix, but I had Hulu for a while too. The reason I went with Youtube TV is it is the same price as Sling and Hulu Live, but offers me my local channels. Also, it is the only one of the three services that offers AMC (for the Walking Dead) and Big Ten Network (for 2 Ohio State football games each year). The cost is the same for all three ($40/month).

I use Roku Express for my device (was free when I signed up for SlingTv a few years ago). One interesting note: if you use certain Roku devices (like the Express that is free when you sign up for Sling), they only pick up the 2.4 ghz signal (which experiences more interruptions than the 5.0 ghz signal). It just so happens that of all the devices we have in our house, only our phones recognize the 5.0. All other devices (Ipad gen 2, 2 "cheap" tablets for the kids, 2 Roku Expresses, and a 3 year old HP laptop) only recognize the 2.4 signal. Gets annoying sometimes because we are taking a risk of having interference with the 2.4, and it seemed like everyday in the afternoon during peak hours our internet would run slow and bog down. The cable company replaced a line underground and that seems to have fixed the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread