Perseverance Rover Mars Landing 2-18-21

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
Hopefully Perseverance is as successful as Spirit, or even better it's twin Opportunity, that little guy ran from 2004-to 2018 and was designed for a 90 Sol mission (~88 Earth days), did >28 miles over 15 years.
View attachment 1689867

It was sad to see it go offline back in June of '18.
You might remember the “My battery is low and it’s getting dark” as it's last words, as a planetwide dust storm that lasted from May of '18 to September was blocking it's solar panels from keeping the batteries charged, and finally ran too low to keep the mission clock going, so it couldn't wake back up after the storm.
View attachment 1689868

What a cool story! Thanks for sharing!

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Cool landing vehicle. I guess the drop pod just goes and ****s off out of the area to study and crashes? Not way it makes it back out of the atmosphere.
The MSL on Curiosity basically yeeted itself to the rear of curiosity (within 2° of 180° of the heading of the rover) , and the rear obstacle cameras observers caught some of the plume. The mars recon satellite should have a picture of the MSL cratered somewhere aft of the rover, probably online before too long. Curiosity's is attached below.
No way to reuse it, it only has enough fuel for that final suicide burn after the cables on the rovers are released by I believe 6 explosive bolts. Takes a ton of Delta V to get back to orbit, even on Mars.
NASA - Inspecting Curiosity's Descent Stage Crash Site
1b8d53deb97df739e3c6a2b9ada3d56a.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X505F using Tapatalk

blk02edge

Established Member
Is it true you get 10min drone helicopter air time before you need to plug it back into a usb port.
Probably. But this heli's entire mission is to see if it flys at all and gain data. The next one will be more impressive.

Last edited:

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Dang, how long does the data take to transfer from Mars to here?
They're still on dsl so quite a while. Cable guys can be there on the Mars end to finish the fiber install between 9am and 5pm on a monday-friday sometime in the next 3 months

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

Users who are viewing this thread