Phoenix vs Austin

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
4 hot months, 8 great months in PHX. W valley here seems to be cheaper than e, but affordable we just bought our first home in August. Moved from WI 3 years ago, love it here.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
4 hot months, 8 great months in PHX. W valley here seems to be cheaper than e, but affordable we just bought our first home in August. Moved from WI 3 years ago, love it here.

Good Work.

I'm listing my house in March. Need to polish this turd but I'm selling it in March.

I'll go from there lol.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The only thing I disliked about Phoenix are the scorpions. Stepping on them or being stung in bed suck.

Oh and that valley fever thing. Other than that is a great place to live.

Kewlv8

Established Member
Austin:
UT-Girl.jpg

Phoenix:
486429746.jpg

Nuff Said....

nxhappy

Established Member
I don't think you can go wrong with AZ or TX. I would choose a city that is less crowded. And a city that is more affordable. My grandparents live in Prescott AZ, they love that place....

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Austin is expensive and bad traffic, housing cost is rising there too. bunch smelly hipsters who claim they have better tacos than SA, lol keep dreaming

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Austin is expensive and bad traffic, housing cost is rising there too. bunch smelly hipsters who claim they have better tacos than SA, lol keep dreaming

Yep. I'm glad I moved here 11 year ago. If I was looking today, considering the absolutely miserable traffic and sky high real estate market, I'd probably have gone elsewhere.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Yep. I'm glad I moved here 11 year ago. If I was looking today, considering the absolutely miserable traffic and sky high real estate market, I'd probably have gone elsewhere.
my buddy put her house on the market and decided to move back to SA, guess she got tired of it.

Vigilante

Established Member
Do not move to AZ if you are not established in your field of career OR have/want kids. This awful state is STILL trying to recover from the recession with no end in sight, so advancing in your career is not an option.

And there is nothing to do here. The few things you can do are not kid friendly OR are twice what you make an hour for 30mins of fun OR just plain cheap, short and uninteresting.

The weather here sucks, if you say you like it, you're lying. Hot, hot, extra HOT for more than half the year, weird cold day, hot again, then about two weeks at end of January/beginning of February where you need shorts and a tshirt during the day, but pants and a jacket at night and then the cycle starts over. Any entertainment that involves water is overcrowded.

Lots of drugs, terrible education system, wasteful government that builds shit nobody uses or wants while neglecting infrastructure. People here are just the rudest assholes you will ever meet. I got yelled at by an old woman for getting into my own car before her, like WTF? Lots of people going to prison or jail over stupid things due to large private prison system. State motto: "Come on Vacation, Leave on Probation."

Cheap housing is NOT a pro, houses are a glorified box. No basement, no attic, plain styling. Flat roofs that are prone to leaking. Mold. Dust. Allergens galore. No trees, gardens or grass. Lots of weeds that are prickly or covered in thorns.

I know I'm probably too late, but unless you are using this as a stepping stone or just enjoy going to work and staying home on the weekends, Arizona is not for you. Everyone I know has left or is planning on leaving. Most just graduate and then leave for someplace better.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Okay, so apparently Austin has turned my BFF into a total douche.

After TX2K I was actually extremely impressed with Houston. There also seems to be more job opportunities there, easy access to water. It's like Florida without all the Floriduhhhh.

Mosquitos and summer humidity do concern me.

Phoenix, political instability and minimal wage BS concern me. Phoenix is also a bit more "remote".

Any suggestions on how to visit either city this summer to get a "living there" feel?

It's hard to get a day-day feel just vacationing or going for work.

Famine

Established Member
Austin is nice to stop through and visit, but it has become a haven for liberal stupidity, so I would never move there. I did live in San Antonio for a few years and loved it there.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Austin is nice to stop through and visit, but it has become a haven for liberal stupidit.

Yep. Lots of left wing nuts moving here trying to change how the city and state works. Even the Travis county sheriff (D) is crazy and won't hold detainers for ICE. There's a movement here to turn Texas blue which I hope never happens. Property taxes, traffic and liberals are killing Austin.

Austin is a sanctuary city, so there's lots of illegals and homeless all over the place. The senate has passed a bill that will make sanctuary cities illegal. Hopefully it passes. http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/07/us/texas-sanctuary-city-fight/

I live in Driftwood (Hays county), about 20 miles from downtown, out in the country. I stay out of Austin except for my job. I work in the Capitol so I hear see and hear about things quite often.

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
Do not move to AZ if you are not established in your field of career OR have/want kids. This awful state is STILL trying to recover from the recession with no end in sight, so advancing in your career is not an option.

And there is nothing to do here. The few things you can do are not kid friendly OR are twice what you make an hour for 30mins of fun OR just plain cheap, short and uninteresting.

The weather here sucks, if you say you like it, you're lying. Hot, hot, extra HOT for more than half the year, weird cold day, hot again, then about two weeks at end of January/beginning of February where you need shorts and a tshirt during the day, but pants and a jacket at night and then the cycle starts over. Any entertainment that involves water is overcrowded.

Lots of drugs, terrible education system, wasteful government that builds shit nobody uses or wants while neglecting infrastructure. People here are just the rudest assholes you will ever meet. I got yelled at by an old woman for getting into my own car before her, like WTF? Lots of people going to prison or jail over stupid things due to large private prison system. State motto: "Come on Vacation, Leave on Probation."

Cheap housing is NOT a pro, houses are a glorified box. No basement, no attic, plain styling. Flat roofs that are prone to leaking. Mold. Dust. Allergens galore. No trees, gardens or grass. Lots of weeds that are prickly or covered in thorns.

I know I'm probably too late, but unless you are using this as a stepping stone or just enjoy going to work and staying home on the weekends, Arizona is not for you. Everyone I know has left or is planning on leaving. Most just graduate and then leave for someplace better.
You live in Tuscon, of course it sucks there. Tuscon is a complete and utter shit hole.

The economy is fine in Phoenix. As of 2012 (the last time there was data) our GDP had increased. What the F are you talking about that there's nothing to do here?!?! Hiking, more festivals than anyone has time for, year round racing, water sports galore, skiing, an absolutely massive food scene, breweries on every corner, a range every 4 feet, spring training, indian ruins all over the state, impressive national parks, national monuments everywhere, one of the best outdoor activities in the world. Seriously, if you can't find something to do in Arizona you haven't looked more than two feet in front of you.

When people like you rip the place they live that hard I start to think the problem isn't where they are but them. It is what you make of it man.

MFE

Established Member
If you come to Phoenix in the summer, take a day or two and get up on "the rim" (Payson and points north/northeast) or up to Prescott where it's 20 degrees cooler. Also check out any of the lakes we have nearby, Canyon is the closest. Or you can see for yourself that you can be on the beach in Newport in less than 6 hours drive ;) Houston in the summer? BTDT. I'll take 115 and 15% humidity over 99 and 90% humidity allll daaaay loooooong.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
have you considered vegas/henderson? not as hot as phoenix but 100x more things to do. and 100x more people lol.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Austin has changed so much in the last decade, it's a liberal sanctuary city. Lots of filth. I'd highly suggest you live as far as you're willing to drive to and from work. And don't buy anything D.R Horton, John Houston etc has built.

And TBH I don't suggest Texas period, I do love it because it's where i've always lived except 2 years in Colorado. If you haven't lived in 90% humidity 100 degree temps, it's absolutely freaking miserable if you work in the elements, miserable.

It was mid 90's in Colorado couple summers ago and over 120 at the pearce ferry takeout, and it felt like mid august Texas morning.

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
have you considered vegas/henderson? not as hot as phoenix but 100x more things to do. and 100x more people lol.

The entire idea of Vegas makes my skin crawl. Reno apparently still has snow.

Also I'm not remotely confident I'd find work in Vegas.

I'm currently a Senior Buyer with automotive, fabrication and defense contracting background. I don't think that translates well into hospitality and entertainment.

MFE

Established Member

Where the negative **** negative-ville do you live negatively in?

Of note: Maricopa County (Of which the Phoenix metro is about 90% of the population) just posted the highest population growth of any county in the country, and it's not illegals coming over the border. There's construction cranes all over downtown for the first time in years, and as I type this, I'm looking out at the trees lining the edge of my large grassy yard, under my peaked tile roof that does not have an A/C unit on it.

Sounds like you need to ride your BMX bike out of Maryvale a little further than Grand Ave LOL

Users who are viewing this thread