Picked up a new cheapo DD (E46 Content)

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I currently have a 106 mile commute and was getting pretty tired of averaging 18mpg in the Marauder. Honestly I'm also just getting pretty damn tired of DDing a panther platform car, I've been in them since I was in high school.

A friend of mine who works at a BMW dealer bought this car off a customer 2 months ago, he's moving and doesn't have room for 3 cars and doesn't need 2 E46's (his daily is a 330xi 6spd that he bought off trade in). I've been looking around for things like E39 530i's but bad ones are bad and nice ones are reaching into the 8-10 grand range which at that point I'd buy something a lot more modern. I'm looking to go back to Japan next year and bring home an Evo 4 so I didn't want to buy a 10-14 grand DD a year before buying a 10-14 grand travel souvenir.

This 330i is essentially a one owner car (if you exclude my friend's 2 month ownership), it came with all the service records since new (a literal inch thick), it's sitting at 134k miles and has no rust. Apparently the first owner was always given a company car so this was a garage kept second car all its life.

It's not as fast as the Marauder but it moves well enough and certainly handles a lot better. Since most of my commute is sitting in traffic I'll take the trade off in power for MPG.

For anyone who speaks BMW, it's a Premium pkg car (heated montana leather seats, myrtle wood, rain sensor), xenon headlamps and the ZF5HP19 5spd auto. No sport/ZSP package here. The auto works fine but by late this year I really may do a 6spd manual conversion.

I'll give this thing a paint correction in the spring but the paint is in great shape, the pass front fender was replaced due to a minor fender bender about 6-7 years ago, all parts used were BMW OE thankfully.

20200130_163832-X4.jpg

20200130_163843-X4.jpg

20200130_164046-X4.jpg

20200130_163855-X4.jpg

20200130_163906-X4.jpg

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
E46 is a classic and one of my favorite! Hope yours has the rear subframe already repaired, as well as the ~100k cooling system overhaul. Otherwise they're pretty solid rides. Not sure what the mpg on an xdrive 330 auto is, but my 323ci manual would knock out 30-33mpg highway, more like 25-28 city unleashing its 170hp of fury LOL. Great cars though, I've worked on many of them and most things are actually quite simple or a joy to do.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Nice, congrats!

Hope all's well in FL!

E46 is a classic and one of my favorite! Hope yours has the rear subframe already repaired, as well as the ~100k cooling system overhaul. Otherwise they're pretty solid rides. Not sure what the mpg on an xdrive 330 auto is, but my 323ci manual would knock out 30-33mpg highway, more like 25-28 city unleashing its 170hp of fury LOL. Great cars though, I've worked on many of them and most things are actually quite simple or a joy to do.

The cooling system was done but I don't believe the rear subframe was reinforced. With this car being an auto and owned by an adult I don't expect the floor to be ripping out, at some point I'll see about dropping the subframe.

This one is an i so I don't have the driveline loss of the AWD system. I'll have to see how it is once the lifters are sorted but I was able to peak 30mpg on a 2hr trip tonight.

Totally silent, although since I'll have the upper end of the head apart I might throw a dr vanos unit in there since I believe this is all original.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
The cooling system was done but I don't believe the rear subframe was reinforced. With this car being an auto and owned by an adult I don't expect the floor to be ripping out, at some point I'll see about dropping the subframe.

This one is an i so I don't have the driveline loss of the AWD system. I'll have to see how it is once the lifters are sorted but I was able to peak 30mpg on a 2hr trip tonight.

I misread the line right above as yours being an xi, my bad! As for the subframe, we've seen them at least cracked on every single car, even auto's driven by grandma, but hopefully yours is good.

AssPikle

Established Member
Hope all's well in FL!

Totally silent, although since I'll have the upper end of the head apart I might throw a dr vanos unit in there since I believe this is all original.
Good idea

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I misread the line right above as yours being an xi, my bad! As for the subframe, we've seen them at least cracked on every single car, even auto's driven by grandma, but hopefully yours is good.

I want to say my dealer tech friend checked this when my friend bought it, but at any rate if the subframe falls out on the way home tomorrow, title is already in my name lol

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Nice, I recently picked up a bimmer for a 100 mile daily commute as well. Love my 335d, can't beat 550 tq and still getting 35+ mpg, germans really have their diesels figured out!

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
My favorite car to date WRT having the best balance between looks, handling, power, and luxury was my ‘02 BMW M3. I think the GT350 will be a fitting replacement.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Congrats! I always keep an eye for a nice e46 M3.... they are on the move up $$$$$... hope you enjoy this as your new daily.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I had an E46 330xi 6speed in Wisconsin. I bought it with 95K miles, sold it with around 130k miles. The straight 6 was so smooth! It would froth the oil so bad, it was running mayonnaise instead of 5W30; Lucky the oil separator didn't crack. I had to have it aligned every 3 months and each time no one could find what was wearing out. And in very specific outdoor temperatures and humidity first gear would shudder and grab so bad, but people say some of them are like that.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Nice, I recently picked up a bimmer for a 100 mile daily commute as well. Love my 335d, can't beat 550 tq and still getting 35+ mpg, germans really have their diesels figured out!

I was really interested in the E90 335D's, but that partly fell back on my "If I spend 10-14 now I can't swing it again in a year" thing. My former dealer now indie tech friend DD's a F30 328d, he's big on diesels now.

My favorite car to date WRT having the best balance between looks, handling, power, and luxury was my ‘02 BMW M3. I think the GT350 will be a fitting replacement.

I bought my mustang because I felt it had some of that old BMW charm in the driving department, I mean hell the suspension setup is right out of the E90 chassis playbook.

Congrats! I always keep an eye for a nice e46 M3.... they are on the move up $$$$$... hope you enjoy this as your new daily.

Thanks, it's been good so far. I'd love a M3 one of these days but I'm content with the M5.

I had an E46 330xi 6speed in Wisconsin. I bought it with 95K miles, sold it with around 130k miles. The straight 6 was so smooth! It would froth the oil so bad, it was running mayonnaise instead of 5W30; Lucky the oil separator didn't crack. I had to have it aligned every 3 months and each time no one could find what was wearing out. And in very specific outdoor temperatures and humidity first gear would shudder and grab so bad, but people say some of them are like that.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

My friend who I bought this from just went though the "mayo" you describe on his 03 330xi, it's due to a faulty CCV system. He ended up putting on the M56 SULEV valve cover which deletes the factory CCV found on the M54's. This car thankfully had the entire CCV replaced like a year or two ago at the dealer.

Those 6spd XI's are pretty rare, my friends car was built a couple of months before the 6spd came out so his was a factory 5spd, he had to do a 6spd conversion and the shifter assembly is XI only so its a hard part to find.

Users who are viewing this thread