Picked up a ride for my boy

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
My boy will be 16 in Feb. We've been teaching him to drive the past few months and he's a natural. It has been much easier than it was with his sister....I thought she just might get me killed and I'm glad she's good to go now. LMAO. Anyways in the beginning he was talking about all these newer cars he would be interested in. One day I pitched the idea of getting a cool but older car. I told him he could have the same total budget number that I spent on his sister's car. If we could get a car under that budget then he would have money left over to do some customization and etc. So he's been scanning Clist and everywhere else for months. Well he found this WRX. I had him text the guy with me coaching him on what to say. This Friday night we went up to Dallas and picked it up. Also got to spend lots of quality time together since it was a 5 hour trip each way. 2002 WRX with 60k miles. Very clean car but needs some TLC here and there. I can't wait to work on it with him and teach him. Saturday afternoon I was looking for him because I hadn't seen him in awhile. Found him outside cleaning away. I think the boy found his first love.

Car has some mods: uppipe, DP, midpipe, HKS exhaust, STI intercooler, STI suspension, ACT clutch, intake, Seibon hood.
IMG_20181214_200544.jpg
IMG_20181215_163843.jpg
IMG_20181217_090409.jpg
IMG_20181217_090325.jpg
IMG_20181217_090301.jpg
IMG_20181215_164112.jpg

Blackoyote

Established Member
Lucky kid, awesome first ride!

What does a 60k miles WRX go for out of curiosity? All the ones I see listed my way with 140-200k miles are listed for stupid prices lol.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Great cars other then the transmission pretty much being made out of glass. That one he picked up looks clean for how old it is.

crazycarlo

Established Member
That’s awesome. My son is 6 and I can’t wait until that day. He loves my fox body so who knows what will happen.

FJohnny

Established Member
Wow! What a great first car. Lucky kid, that's for sure.

Almost too bad you don't get snow. (Nope, I take that back. No snow is best.) My rain/winter car is a '12 STi hatch and it makes snow a non-issue. Fun and safe car. Nice choice for a young fellow.

Wishing your son great times and safe driving with his new vehicle.

PS Great garage setup. Nice lift. Is that a V8 powered swivel mechanic's stool?

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Thanks fellas! Honestly I'm a little jealous because I wouldn't mind having that car myself, LMAO! I've always been very fond of the bug eye models.

Lucky kid, awesome first ride!

What does a 60k miles WRX go for out of curiosity? All the ones I see listed my way with 140-200k miles are listed for stupid prices lol.
Man we negotiated a hell of a deal on this thing......six. He need the cash.

Car looks good, Aric!

Bet he's stoked! First car that's AWD Turbo? Uh yes please hahahaha

HE NEEDS WHEELS YESTERDAY! :D
Thanks bro. Yeah the wheels got to go and will be something we fix in the coming months.

Very nice. I’m partial to the 06 STI. Bet he’s gonna love the car. Hopefully he’ll act sane in it.

Pick your poison.
We had a long talk about peer pressure, tickets, racing and insurance. The boy grew up a lot in the past year and has earned the chance to prove he can handle the responsibility. I told him to please not make me regret this decision because if something bad happens to him then I have to live with that. He's a very smart and level headed young man now so I think he's going to do well. He's also been taught by me over the years where to have fun and how.

Very clean! Just remind him no hard shifts with that early WRX transmission...
Thanks for the heads up!

Wow! What a great first car. Lucky kid, that's for sure.

Almost too bad you don't get snow. (Nope, I take that back. No snow is best.) My rain/winter car is a '12 STi hatch and it makes snow a non-issue. Fun and safe car. Nice choice for a young fellow.

Wishing your son great times and safe driving with his new vehicle.

PS Great garage setup. Nice lift. Is that a V8 powered swivel mechanic's stool?
Thanks! LOLOLOLOL. No that is my Precision Turbo'd AWD mechanic's stool! HAHA! I still haven't found the time to drop it back into the GTR since the longblock came back from T1.

Nice first ride, didn't think those existed under 100k miles anymore.

Given the type of car, be sure to discuss the dangers of vaping.
LMFAO! I think he knows all about vaping since that's how I prefer my 420. He wants absolutely nothing to do with it!

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
That's awesome!
A boy and his toy,.......true love. lol

Recon

Established Member
We had a long talk about peer pressure, tickets, racing and insurance. The boy grew up a lot in the past year and has earned the chance to prove he can handle the responsibility. I told him to please not make me regret this decision because if something bad happens to him then I have to live with that. He's a very smart and level headed young man now so I think he's going to do well. He's also been taught by me over the years where to have fun and how.
That’s good to hear. I’m not sure I could make the same leap of faith with my child (when I find their mother first) on my current arsenal of cars. I wish him nothing but the best; and hope he can have enough self control to not give in to the idiots that will provoke him on the streets or in the car with him. He’ll be a stronger person for it.

Pick your poison.

ENV²

Established Member
Great choice! Friend of mine has a wagon version with Japanese engine swap. It's all kinds of fun. Just teach him to have fun responsibly and if you do see he gets some speeding tickets etc, do what my dad did. Save up for a couple years and do a driving school together or some HPDE days with instructors

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Congrats that will be a very cool father son project to tinker with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread