Pics of my first ported intake and... 3/8" intake spacers too!

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Cut the bottom off and got to work. Did an "ok" job for my first attempt and removed alot of material, could do more but Im not sure about the returns to be had. Comments and replies are very welcome. :beer:

DSC04061.jpg

DSC04062.jpg

DSC04063.jpg

DSC04065.jpg

DSC04064.jpg

DSC04068.jpg

Painted black to match the customers black powder coated intake.
DSC04069.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Anthony
Midcontinent Mustangs

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I used a combination of different size rasps, wire wheels and flapper discs. All together I have about 7-8 hours into this intake, if not more. I worked on it in my spare time and didnt keep too close of track on my time. i did enjoy it, learned something and got absolutely covered in aluminum dust in the process!

Before pics of this 'post fix' turd. I had just started to work the intake over in a few of the pics. Even though these intakes may be 'fixed' theyre still a very long distance away from being good.

DSC03736.jpg

DSC03737.jpg

DSC03738.jpg

DSC03588.jpg

Now the inside of the intake looks as good as the outside!!!
DSC02194.jpg

Intake without 3/8 intake spacer
DSC04077.jpg

Intake with 3/8" spacer amd one gasket installed.
DSC04072.jpg

The pics do a good job of illustrating just how the stock intake lid pinches flow as it tapers down from the TB. I also have 2-- 1/2" FR500 intake spacers ready but Im still trying to source new intake gaskets from Ford.

Anthony
Midcontinent Mustangs

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Intake without 3/8 intake spacer
DSC04077.jpg

Intake with 3/8" spacer amd one gasket installed.
DSC04072.jpg

The pics do a good job of illustrating just how the stock intake lid pinches flow as it tapers down from the TB. I also have 2-- 1/2" FR500 intake spacers ready but Im still trying to source new intake gaskets from Ford.

Anthony
Midcontinent Mustangs

Very fawking noice!!!

These pics definitely show why the intake spacers are such a valuable mod because of the amount of volume to be gained.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Nice job! I was shocked when I installed my intake spacer and saw the sharp ridges on the top side of the lower intake. Way to leave power on the table Ford...

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Thanks guys. Looks like there's definitely a demand for this and I may pursue this in the future.

I think the next intake I port will be my own but with a before and after flowbench test to see what I really did gain by porting the intake. I will also keep track of how long it takes me to port my intake manifold.

With winter coming on and some people putting their cars away for the winter that would work best as it would give me ample time to get the intake done and back to them, What I dont want to get into is the "intake arrives monday and the customer needs it back by friday."

Ill post updates as I know more.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I've recently started porting on my second lower intake manifold. I'm taking what I learned on the first intake port job, what I've learned since then, what I'd have done differently and that is all going to add up to one bad stock length runner ported intake. Epoxy will be used on this intake to fill some areas and to improve the radii on others. I haven't decided whether I want to sell this intake or install it on my own 99 Cobra.

I may even attempt a PSR next time around!!!

What epoxy do you guys recommend I use? I have JB weld but Im almost certain there has to be an aluminum specific epoxy out there that's better.

*Edit* The last shop charged me $100 to tig the lower back on, is this ball park to what you guys are paying to have this done? For the amount of time the guy had the intake (2 months) I thought he would've cut me a break on the price, but that didnt happen.

Last edited:

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Set yourself apart from the rest of the guys and actually do a legitimate before and after on the dyno same day.

Manley Miracle Seal 40180 is the best epoxy. Bullet proof and easy to work.

You got hosed on the tig work. Takes about 15 minutes to put a bottom on.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Wow, another old thread sent to the top...

The top side of the lower intake can stay rough, polishing it only makes it pretty. Same goes for the upper, smoothing it out makes it pretty, but there are no power gains to be gotten from doing so. The feed holes need to be enlarged as much as possible and the entrances to them need to be opened up as fas as they can go. ImageShack.us http://img576.imageshack.us/i/dscf5116.jpg/ The runner entrances need to be enlarged but they must remain consistent in size, I use a large socket of an size that will super top secret to ensure they are all the same.

I will also keep track of how long it takes me to port my intake manifold.
It takes me 5-6 hours from start to finish.

I'll be happy to pass on any tips to those wanting to do this themselves, either ported intakes or short runners.

Last edited:

trxcobra

Established Member
looks nice man i was just wandering if the intake spacers provide a good benefit on N/A motors? ive heard people using them on FI cars but not sure about N/A

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Wow, another old thread sent to the top...

The top side of the lower intake can stay rough, polishing it only makes it pretty. Same goes for the upper, smoothing it out makes it pretty, but there are no power gains to be gotten from doing so. The feed holes need to be enlarged as much as possible and the entrances to them need to be opened up as fas as they can go. ImageShack.us Imageshack - dscf5116.jpg The runner entrances need to be enlarged but they must remain consistent in size, I use a large socket of an size that will super top secret to ensure they are all the same.

It takes me 5-6 hours from start to finish.

I'll be happy to pass on any tips to those wanting to do this themselves, either ported intakes or short runners.

Todd,
First off, nice post edit. What's here now isn't the helpful post that was here this morning. You have a bad day or some shit that I don't really care to hear about?

Who cares if its an old thread? Should I have created another thread? More shit piled higher and deeper the better huh?

No kidding??? No gains to be made in the five minutes it takes me to clean up the cut off lower belly? I thought that's where all the gains were to be had!!! :bored:

I clean up the belly to remove the spine of casting flash that sits between the freeze plugs. This intake I'm working on now had some excess cast aluminum that broke off in my fingers when I touched it! According to you I probably should've left that there because there were no gains to be had by removing it!!! :lol:

You can pass on posting in this thread I don't need or want your help.:kaboom:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Todd, First off, nice post edit.
You are very welcome, glad I can help.

I've tested these intakes and polishing the bottom has provided no gains. Also, removing anything that could come off and be ingested is always a good thing.

Basically, it pays to polish/smoooth only those surfaces that see high velocity flow, like the feed holes and runners.

I'm just trying to save you and anyone else both some time and work.

Always willing to help. BTW, your intake looks good so far.

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
here are some pics of mine, i was going to weld it back but maybe i need to open it a bit more, it wouldn't hurt would it?

IMG00317-20100504-1313.jpg

IMG00316-20100504-1312.jpg

i smoothed the runners with 180 then 360 and smooth it with 400 grade sandpaper it feels like my ceramic coated headers so far, should i open it like this??
inta.jpg
(NAZMANS)

i was going to do this but didn't 'cause i was afraid of being an overkill for a bolton only car :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread