Pinion flange leak.

2012Ridge

Established Member
So as the title states my pinion flange is leaking. Car is still garaged for now but i wanna get everything ready that ill need to fix the problem. So other than the $30 flange is there any other parts i should have on hand ? I seen a kit on LMR for $100 and was wondering if that was necessary? Also any other things i should change or do while im at it. Any warnings tips and heads ups are appreciated =P

Thanks for any help,
John

masterjr33

Established Member
mines leaking also.
just purchased.
Pinion seal (20$
crush sleeve. (10$
2 bottles diff fluid. (30 $
RTV sealer for rear cover. (10$
out put axle seals/bearing kit (25$ kit .
pinion nut ( 12$

with the crush sleeve style pinions once you remove the nut you shouldnt re use it.
need to honestly pop the cover. and reset the pinion. might as well put in axle seals for the CV shafts while there and the bearings come with the seals.

nstag8r

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Get rid of the junk crush sleeve and go with a pinion spacer http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rat-4105/overview/ so you don't have this issue again. If you use a crush sleeve again this will leak again, just a matter of time. With these cars making a decent amount of horsepower the crush sleeve gets crushed more with time and makes the bearing sloppy which then causes the seal to fail.

Last edited:

2012Ridge

Established Member
Nice. Thanks for the responses. I'll grab the sleeve as well. Does that cover gasket work with ours that i have linked in my first post ? I know everyone uses the rtv stuff. But an actual gasket seems like it would be handy.

Last edited:

masterjr33

Established Member
crush sleeves wont cause pinion seals to fail... a solid is just usualy easier for someone to set up the finaly time after checking pattern.
actually if you know how a rear diff loads when launching. and where the crush sleeve is.. ....
um well. its a product you can buy to make it easier to set the rear end...
but buying a solid crush sleeve to prevent a pinion seal leak... i dunno about that one.

most of what kills these seals is 1/2 the fluid of a log axle. and 1/4 of the metal of a log axle.
its like having half the radiator and have the coolant in your car.
its going to run HAWT!.

good luck brother!

03' White Snake

Established Member
I thought my seal was bad in my car, I had it changed. My buddy that did it told me the seal was still good, but fluid can leak up and out the splines. He said he likes to add a little RTV on the threads to seal the splines. No issues since.

Users who are viewing this thread