Pistons are terminated, need advice on motor options

rotty421

Established Member
So one of my pistons has failed and it wasn't even 7 or 8. The block appears to be in good condition though. Now I need to figure out what to do.

The car has a KB 2.2 setup at 17 lbs and I plan on keeping that setup for now with a possible upgrade to the new whipple down the road.

As I understand it I have two options, rebuild the motor I have or buy a new block. Which would be a better idea given my car's setup? How would I go about doing it?

I understand bolt on type mods but I don't know anything about building a motor and I am looking for some good advice so I don't get talked into something that doesn't make any sense.

Thanks

rotty421

Established Member
asiancobra said:
ever done the search thingymajiggy?:read:

Of course I have searched. That is where I got pistons/bore/new heads from. I don't post threads if I can find my answer elsewhere.

It may seem like a simple and basic question but that is the point because I am looking for a simple and basic answer.

If you don't have any technical information please leave my thread.

rotty421 said:
Of course I have searched. That is where I got pistons/bore/new heads from. I don't post threads if I can find my answer elsewhere.

It may seem like a simple and basic question but that is the point because I am looking for a simple and basic answer.

Do yourself a favor and go to ModularFords to get this question answered. There are a lot more knowledgeable gear heads over there who are also more patient and really know what they are talking about. I'm not being sarcastic either. When it comes to getting great knowledge about motors thats the site to go to. There's too much clowning around on SVTP and a lot of guys here parrot a lot of incorrect things. You'll be best served there for your particular problem. :beer:

asiancobra

PSN: new_edge_cobra
Established Member
rotty421 said:

damn dude chill out!..and welcome to SVTP!..as far as your question...if you know how to do yourself...breakdown the engine and inspect the damage and decide which parts need to be replace...if you want to go forged i suggest go with the best so you won't repeat same problem in the near future...if you don't know how to do yourself if i were you i'd get a new motor instead to save time and waste money...thats jus my opinion

BLK_03

Established Member
It kind of depends on what your plans with the motor are...

If you are happy with 7-800 RWHP, then you can:

-.020 over the block
-New pistons (CP, Diamond, JE, etc.)
-Reuse stock rods...they are very stout
-New Bearings
-Stud Everything
-Have a reputable shop run through the heads ... you don't always have to jump to newer castings... a lot of rumor and hearsay with that one.
-New head gaskets
-I'd replace the rear and front crank seals and balancer bolt. The timing cover and valve cover seals are reusable as long as they aren't damaged or stretched.

Re-assemble and enjoy.

If you are after more power, then I'd bump up to a billet rod and some stainless valves.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If it's just the piston can't he just buy replacement pistons(CP, Diamond, JE) if the block is in perfect shape? That would save a lot of money and if he doesn't want more power then he's good to go!

Last edited:

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Talk to John @ Modular Performance, verry helpful and great service. He can get you hooked up with what you need...

Blk03 gave you the basics, and Im sure MP can get it together for you...

BLK_03

Established Member
posi said:
If it's just the piston can't he just buy replacement pistons(CP, Diamond, JE) if the block is in perfect shape? That would save a lot of money and if he doesn't want more power then he's good to go!

More than likely, even if one piston went south, the block will need to be cleaned up. Optimistically, none of the debris from the busted piston hurt the head.

If moving to a new block is the decision, I would go aluminum without even batting an eyelash. Many times, a good used Teksid can be had for less money than buying new stuff.

exdeath

Established Member
I'm with the rest here. Might as well build up the bottom end while you have it apart. Bore or stroke to 302, aluminum block maybe, CP pistons, billet rods, proper piston clearance so you can do 0-160 pulls all day and not care, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread