Playstation 3 PSN Error

Revolator

Outlaw Star
Established Member
For those who own a PS3 and aren't aware yet...

Taken from IGN

PlayStation 3 Suffering From Widespread PSN Error [Update]

February 28, 2010 - SCEA is looking into widespread reports tonight of PlayStation Network login errors causing many left unable to play games, and even lose trophies, on certain PlayStation 3 consoles.

"We're aware that many of you are having problems connecting to PSN, and yes, we're looking into it," the company said in a statement. "Stay tuned for updates."

Forum members and e-mail tipsters are saying this problem is primarily affecting owners of the older model of the PlayStation 3, and is even causing users to lose trophies previously earned. Many titles, such as Heavy Rain, are also now unplayable due to connection issues with Sony's servers.

One theory points to an issue with the console's internal calendar, which is reportedly resetting pre-slim models to 12/31/1999.

It's unclear at the moment how widespread this issue is.

IGN has contacted SCEA for additional updates on what's causing these errors.

Update: Sony has confirmed that slim PS3s (the 120/250 GB models) appear to be unaffected.

Update 2: According to Sony's US PlayStation blog, the company has "narrowed down the issue and have engineers working to restore service even as you read this." However, despite more calls to Sony there's no indication on the time it'll take to fix – or indeed what the fix will be. More updates the instant we get them.

Update 3: Sony has yet to provide an official update on the problem. The company did say, however, owners should wait before trying to resolve the issue. "Please don't trust info regarding this issue unless from an official Sony source."

Update 4: Sony just released the following statement:

"As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.

We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.

Errors include:
* The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
* When the user tries to sign-in to the PlayStation Network, the following message appears on the screen; "An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)".
* When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; "Failed to install trophies. Please exit your game."
* When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the Internet, the following message appears on the screen; "The current date and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)"
* Users are not able to playback certain rental video downloaded from the PlayStation Store before the expiration date.

We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

As mentioned above, Please be advised that the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologise for any inconvenience caused."

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
So Y2K only took 10 years to affect us and it only affected items produced after the year 2000. WTF nostradamus:bash::bash::bash:

xenodragon

Established Member
Hmm, I got that message 2 days ago, and just turned it off because i couldn't play assassins creed 2, and figured I'd deal with it later.Hope it gets fixed

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
UPDATE 5 (8:20 am Mountain Time) - Sony U.S. silent since Sunday, but PlayStation Europe Tweets three times in the past hour: "Rest assured, we've many people working on fixing this issue. As soon as we have some news, we'll let you know." and then "Please don't trust info regarding this issue unless from an official Sony source. On Twitter this means @PlayStationEU and @SonyPlayStation." and then "We will be updating you the second we have some news."

UPDATE 6: Error code 8001050F was causes by a fault in the PS3's clock functionality, Sony tells Kotaku. A fix should be coming within 24 hours. Until then, stay off your console, they say. More details here.

:lol:

Darcsun

Established Member
Like I said... who cares if I miss a couple days worth of gaming. At least I don't have the level of hassle of sending a RRoD 360 in.

Cruzer

11 Second 2V
Established Member
Same thing happen to 2 of my friends and also me. This is PS first problem, how many did xbox have..... O yea thats right to many to count.

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
Just wow.. I guess I shouldn't turn on my PS3 (fat) today.. though that would be just like every other day because I'd much rather game it on my X360! :banana:

matt87

Established Member
wow this so beats the red ring of death. gotta love 360 fanboys.

bam

Established Member
The fix is open up your PS3 and disconnect your backup battery. That will kill all back up info in memory. It will then allow you to get online and get back to gaming. A friend of mine has done 5 so far today.

OR... bear with me... I'll just not play video games for a day :idea:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
apparently its already fixed :D

tested it out.. yup it is, I CAN'T WAIT FOR GOD OF WAR III!!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread