plug question 98 cobra

Iso

Sounds fast
Established Member
When I got the car ready to take to the tuner, Procharger recommended tr6 plugs gapped at .028. After getting home and driving the car around for awhile the car started to idle rough. Pulled the plugs and they were burnt orange in color so I switched to the plugs my tuner said to go with which is br7ef plugs and I set the gap at .025. About a month has gone by with car car running exceptionally better than the tr6 plugs. A few more weeks and I notice the rough idle returning so once again the plugs come out, and looked like this:
01e6aead.jpg

the bottom right plug is the driver side closest to the front and they go in order. The pic makes a few of them look a little pale, but they are all about as black as the second to top on the right side.

My question for you all is this: should I put in another set of br7ef plugs gapped at what they come out of the box(.022) or what do the blower gurus suggest?

More info is 98 cobra D1sc head unit with 3.9 pulley seeing 9-10 psi, intercooled, stock intake, imrcs deleted, stock shortblock, and longtubes

:beer:

harvboi05

Established Member
.028-.030 is fine. copper plugs dont last very long, and if your car isnt tuned, youre gunna foul plugs likes its ur job.

.022-.025 is too tight for 9-10psi IMO.

edit: for referance, ive run .028 with +25psi on a 50lb/min turbo, and a 65lb/min turbo with no issues at all.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
wow dude that is a really tight gap.. For 9-10psi .30 should be fine. If you notice spark blow out drop it down to .28

Iso

Sounds fast
Established Member
Alright guys, thanks, I felt like the gap was getting really tight for so little boost. Should i stick with the br7 plugs or go back to the tr6?

harvboi05

Established Member
ive got about 5k miles on my car supercharged, and ive run only the tr6s. nothing bad to say about em so far.

harvboi05

Established Member
im gunna change my plugs every oil change, bc it makes me feel good about myself.

realistically, depending on how often you drive the car, once a year sounds reasonable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread