Point where you started to get bored.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Wtf. Gays don't bother me I could care less as long as I do t get hit on. With the religion thing it's a fine line. I don't believe we should bend the rules in 670-1 and allow someone to grow a big ass beard because it's part if their religion. The only reason being is there will be all kinds of idiot privates who will get Muslim put on their dog tags just so they can grow a beard. We have regulations on uniforms for a reason not just to be dicks.

1. It's "couldn't care less".
2. That guy is most likely Sikh.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I'm glad I saw the military wasn't for me after just 4 years so I wouldn't be in the same position you guys are in. It's got to be tough deciding to stick it out for a couple more years or cutting your loss. I'm not sure I could handle it today. The brass was already starting with the PC BS on top of the "traditional" BS that's been around in the military.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
1. It's "couldn't care less".
2. That guy is most likely Sikh.

He is Sikh, and that's cool in my book.

They are not too fond of Muslims. India and Pakistan have been enemies for a long time and Pakistan keeps training terrorist groups via Pakistani ISI to conduct terrorist operations in India. Whats scary is the group they primarily train, LeT, is better trained, equipped, and organized than ALQ. If Pakistan didn't have nukes India would have cleaned house a long time ago.

As for beards making an exception to policy for religion is cool with me, as long as that exception is only for chaplains. Joe better conform! Need a good seal on that pro mask.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I'm glad I saw the military wasn't for me after just 4 years so I wouldn't be in the same position you guys are in. It's got to be tough deciding to stick it out for a couple more years or cutting your loss. I'm not sure I could handle it today. The brass was already starting with the PC BS on top of the "traditional" BS that's been around in the military.

id say 75% that get out quickly cannot handle it mentally. rather it be the stresses of work or being told what you are gonna do every day. Iv had a few shit heads who think they are smarter or better than the military. usually they are the "hippy" type and make asses out of themselves and get kicked out. they also dont like dicipline and act as if they are special and should be treated "like a man" but never act as such.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Getting promoted always thins out the shit that rolls downhill. Going from E-5 to E-6 seemed the most dramatic change to me.

jbs$

Established Member
Gentleman, first, I have not been in the military in a very long time, I am active in the current economy. What most of you guys will bring to a potential employer is a level of maturity and a work ethic. Unless you are a diesel mechanic or have some other directly transferable skill, you will find yourself in a extremely competitive job market. You will be competing with people who, in many cases, are directly experienced and better qualified. Now, I don't wish to play Nancy Downer here, but, bored is far better than unemployed. Think realistically before you leap.

Last edited:

Jebadias

Established Member
Boredom hit me at 15 years. I had a few staff positions in the years before but managed to get back into the field claiming to be a junior 1st Class every time. About 6 years ago that stopped working. Every now and then I manage to get out on a project as crew leader or QA but for the most part it's paperwork and dumb stuff now :(

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Gentleman, first, I have not been in the military in a very long time, I am active in the current economy. What most of you guys will bring to a potential employer is a level of maturity and a work ethic. Unless you are a diesel mechanic or have some other directly transferable skill, you will find yourself in a extremely competitive job market. You will be competing with people who, in many cases, are directly experienced and better qualified. Now, I don't wish to play Nancy Downer here, but, bored is far better than unemployed. Think realistically before you leap.

Il agree that only some of the military jobs will transfer. a scout of infantry guy wont have shit for options besides security jobs out in the civilian world, even worse for a tanker. who has tanks on the civilian side that need to be fired? not many lol. Im a mechanic and deal with diesel stuff but its not like everyone thinks. "omg you were a diesel mechanic in the army you must know your shit" WRONG. they actually dont teach us much about the engine itself. I know the HMMWV 6.2/6.5 detuned and 6.5 turbo diesels and the 4L80E transmissions but thats about it. the LMTVs with cat engines all i know is they have the huey fuel injector system and i dont know how to fix them. In most cases the entire engine is replaced. on a HMMWV i can trouble shoot the hell out of it and tell you EXACTLY what the problem is in about 10mins. Its stupid easy because its all mechanical and not much to it. if feel sorry for the guys that get out and think they are gonna be a pro mechanic in the civilian side, they are gonna get chewed up and spit out for the most part. Id love to fire about 30% of my guys but i cant. they would make better burger flippers.

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Tired of babysitting and wish I could go back to Germany.

Damn dude you just had your kid quit crying lol. J/k.

Yea the army needs to get away from this Babying soldiers shit. Grown men need to act like grown men. Wanna cut down the size if the army? Stop babying soldiers, they show their true colors and **** up, kick them out. I for one don't **** around with childish soldiers. Iv helped kick out 9 different shit heads. All were under 22yrs old and all acted like little kids. I'm not a damn father!!! (I do got 2 dogs that I treat as my kids, even got in trouble for putting them on our frg roster)

03cobraracer

Established Member
I'm doing my 5 years and getting out of the army.. I've seen my current unit go from "ok" to downright terrible because if bad leadership. I'm just sick of the BS it's not worth it to me anymore. I pcs in 4 months and I will finish my time there. After that I can't wait to be a civilian again and get a better job.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I'm doing my 5 years and getting out of the army.. I've seen my current unit go from "ok" to downright terrible because if bad leadership. I'm just sick of the BS it's not worth it to me anymore. I pcs in 4 months and I will finish my time there. After that I can't wait to be a civilian again and get a better job.

cant base the army on 1 unit. iv had my fair share of b/s but with rank comes more responsibility but also a oppritunity to change things. as of right now im boss man in the motor pool so life is easy, kinda. 11 days and im off to recruiter school :rockon:

Novtec1

TIE Fighter Pilot
Established Member
Damn dude you just had your kid quit crying lol. J/k.

Yea the army needs to get away from this Babying soldiers shit. Grown men need to act like grown men. Wanna cut down the size if the army? Stop babying soldiers, they show their true colors and **** up, kick them out. I for one don't **** around with childish soldiers. Iv helped kick out 9 different shit heads. All were under 22yrs old and all acted like little kids. I'm not a damn father!!! (I do got 2 dogs that I treat as my kids, even got in trouble for putting them on our frg roster)

THIS!!!!

Im not bored but i know its time to get out.. 24yrs Active time, and from what im seeing now, seems like we spend more time babying the soldier then anything else. Plus with deployment dropping off we have to get back into this "Garrison" mindset. Oh well 2 years and i retire..

saleensc281

Established Member
cant base the army on 1 unit. iv had my fair share of b/s but with rank comes more responsibility but also a oppritunity to change things. as of right now im boss man in the motor pool so life is easy, kinda. 11 days and im off to recruiter school :rockon:

While the hours may have gotten better, Recruiter is still a very much cutthroat business. Depending on where you end up and who you work for could very well make or break your career. Be careful and good luck.

saleensc281

Established Member
Il agree that only some of the military jobs will transfer. a scout of infantry guy wont have shit for options besides security jobs out in the civilian world, even worse for a tanker. who has tanks on the civilian side that need to be fired? not many lol. .

Apparently you never have heard of GD, there are a lot of previous Tankers who work for them. Master Gunners especially.

Kornilov

Established Member
apparently you have never heard of having a contract bought out and people losing their jobs... skilled laborers have a better chance.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Combat arms MOS's are extremely valued in the corporate world. In my corner of the professional world, in the .gov contracting sector, a guy with a combat arms MOS and real world experience is well sought after and well compensated. Think about this: if you are a project manager, would you rather have the young Ranger or Marine that has years of experience leading guys in combat, in life or death situations giving a brief to your client leadership or the 26 year old douchebag that just got a graduate degree from some schwanz haven learning institution?

Nearly all of the guys I work with are ex .mil and a decent chunk were/are combat arms guys (to include myself).

But then again, someone who cant tell the difference between a Sikh and a Muslim shouldnt be expected to expound upon other areas of discussion in a logical or informed matter either, huh? :loser:

Users who are viewing this thread