• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Polishing/cleaning up ABs - what do you use?

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by matt5058, Sep 19, 2019.

1. matt5058

matt5058 Member Established Member

I swear I saw a thread where someone posted about polishing their axle backs and making them look pretty much brand new but my searches haven't produced any relevant results. It is possible it was on another forum I suppose....

Anyways, my Roush ABs are showing their age and whether I keep them or replace them with GT500 ABs, I want to be able to clean them up and make them look shiny and sort of new again. Any suggestions for polishing options? Some quick googling suggested olive oil as a polish for stainless steel but I'd prefer to see what folks who've done it themselves recommend. Thanks.

2. nyuk98GT

nyuk98GT Member Premium Member Established Member

matt5058,

Warm water and carwash soap (Honeydew) and a terry cloth to get most of the soluble dirt off. Next, a wipe down with mineral spirits to remove tar dots and any oily stuff. Last step is Nev-R-Dull and lots of elbow grease. By the time you're finished, the mufflers will look as good as new.

Do not use any nylon scour pads (ScotchBrite) or Brillo or steel wool or the polished surface will be marred.

YouTube will probably have some videos showing how to spruce up mufflers so check out the videos and see what other have done.

HTH,

Chris

matt5058 likes this.
  3. bceeezy

bceeezy Member Established Member

P21s Polishing soap or Optimum Metal Polish work really well.

If you want to pick something up from the local auto store, Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish or Blue Magic metal polish work well too.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    matt5058 likes this.
  4. ViperRed91GT

ViperRed91GT Lightning Guru Established Member

matt5058 likes this.