Tri Ax or Pro 5.0

• Tri Ax

Votes: 348 52.7%
  • Pro 5.0

Votes: 312 47.3%

• Total voters

Brad

Banned
I ordered a tri ax and it was back stocked. I see alot of you guys are getting the 5.0. So the question is, whats better for our cars?

jeffhou

Established Member
From what I have read, the steeda shifter has a self guiding "spring" that they claim eliminates missing 3rd gear. But then I read the 5.0 is better made (steel over aluminum), and is a tougher shifter. I have actually been wondering if either one was any better. So far those are the only real differences I can see. Also I know for a fact that the 5.0 will allow you to keep your stock shift knob, I am not sure about the steeda. I also I was wondering if either one makes any unpreferrable noises or anything?

jtfx6552

Established Member
Pro 5.0 also claims to have some mechanism to keep one from missing third. It is a great shifter, and I love it, but I still have missed third, and second... and fourth... on occasion.

The big problem on the '03's is the clutch grabbing to close to the floor. I had that happening last night at E-town. I "manually" adjusted it up a tooth on the paw and quadrant before my last run, which was the only run I made last night without a missed gear.

JT

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Jeffhoupt
Also I know for a fact that the 5.0 will allow you to keep your stock shift knob, I am not sure about the steeda. I also I was wondering if either one makes any unpreferrable noises or anything?

I have the stock knob on my tri-ax and it fits perfectly and is correctly oriented when it is screwed on completely.

My Tri-ax made some noise at first, but I put the silicon between the handle and shifter itself and now it is completely silent. I would also recommend the silicon mode for the Pro 5.0 also as it really made a difference.

I hate Steeda for the most part especially since they have screwed me and now one to many times. But I do think this is a great shifter I recommend not to buy any suspension components from them though.

Also Steeda didn't tell me this and I am piss'd about it, but SVTOA members which we all are get a 10% discount on Steeda brand parts so it is 179+shipping.
http://www.svtoa.com/sponsors.asp

lifter213

Established Member
Well i got the Steeda Tri Ax for the Cobra. I have the Pro 5.0 in my 2000 GT and it is ok but i ended up getting a Steeda handle for it so i could reach it better. So I figured since i'd be swapping the handle if i got the 5.0 it makes more sense just to get the Tri Ax.

Just need the Cobra to put it on now ;-)

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member

TPOC

Established Member

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I have a tri-ax and I like it.

If you do buy one, call steeda directly and mention you are a svtoa member and you will recieve 10% off.

Hammer

Established Member
Other shifters may be good (no flame intended) but Pro 5.0 is the REAL DEAL for all Mustangs. EVERYTHING else is a mere copy of the orthodox and original and still hands-down best.

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
I've used both in a '93 and in my '97; I prefer the Tri-Ax. But, really, it comes down to what You are accustomed to. I have friends who wouldn't have anything but a Pro. If you have never worked the gears using an aftermarket performance shifter, I would recommend sitting down in a buddy's car and test the "feel". If you already have experience with one, keep using it, unless you are are not happy with it.

03DOHC

Established Member
I had a Pro 5.0 on my '97 Cobra and liked it. Driven a few cars w/the Steeda and I think they're both nice. They both transmit noise. I'm going to stick w/the Pro 5.0. I'm going to wait a few miles before I start any mods though. I don't want to play the warranty game w/the dealer yet, IF something comes up.

Brad

Banned
40% tri ax 59% 5.0 this is not the land slide I was looking for.. I might have to go with the tri ax here seeing I love it so much on my 01:-D

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
I have the pro50 in my car right now and tommorrow it is coming out,i had no problem shifting with the stock shifter and since i put the pro50 in i have not been comfortable with it,granted the throws are quicker with just a click but for some reason i just cannot find 4th gear at WOT:shrug: and my stops are set just fine.I am going to try the MGW handle on stock shifter or try the triax shifter after that.

Users who are viewing this thread