poormans guide to the 3rd brake light repair

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
Note: Careful putting the brake light back in. I installed it and both sides blew off as soon as it popped into place. I ended up just fixing it again, only took like an hour 2nd time around and was super careful about reinstalling it. 2nd time was a success :beer:

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Note: Careful putting the brake light back in. I installed it and both sides blew off as soon as it popped into place. I ended up just fixing it again, only took like an hour 2nd time around and was super careful about reinstalling it. 2nd time was a success :beer:

Damn that sucks. Sounds like you did not get a good bond. You also gotta make sure you down over tighten the bolts. I just barely snugged mine down. I think I may have even used a little lock tite. Glad it was an easier fix the second time around with no other problems.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
I need to try this...thanks.

do it, super easy fix. My repaired 3rd brake light is still holding up over 2 years now without a problem. Trunk gets opened and closed every time I drive it since I keep detail supplies in the trunk for a quick clean up.

Jsantana91

Established Member
Sorry I'm new here just bought my cobra and my 3rd brake light is cracked also. Where can I find CA glue? I've looked at an auto parts store with no luck? They have JB weld that dries clear can that work?

oldmodman

Established Member
CA glue is also called Super Glue. But you can also buy epoxy that is specially formulated for use on plastic and it is optically clear. I can't say if it would be any stronger than Super Glue.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
go to a hobby store like hobby lobby to get the glue and activator or you can get it online. I think I paid 6 bucks for a large thing of it last time I bought some. don't get thin, the medium is all you will need.

Last edited:

Jsantana91

Established Member
go to a hobby store like hobby lobby to get the glue and activator or you can get it online. I think I paid 6 bucks for a large thing of it last time I bought some. don't get thin, the medium is all you will need.

CA glue is also called Super Glue. But you can also buy epoxy that is specially formulated for use on plastic and it is optically clear. I can't say if it would be any stronger than Super Glue.

Awesome thank you guys for your help I will double check on that jb weld stuff if not head over to Home Depot and look for something. Thanks for the eBay link if all else fails I will buy it from there. I gotta fix that light tho it's ugly haha. Thank you guys!!!

cdurbin328

CDurbin328
Established Member
Picked up some medium CA glue and activator off eBay for $10. Was delivered today so I plan to give this fix a shot over the weekend.
Thanks for the info and how to.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Picked up some medium CA glue and activator off eBay for $10. Was delivered today so I plan to give this fix a shot over the weekend.
Thanks for the info and how to.

Awesome. Its an easy and cheap fix that just takes a little time and elbow grease. I wonder if the mods could put this as a sticky to help others in the future.

maple

Established Member
Is there one glue/activator that's better to buy than the rest? (sorry for bumping an old thread, but I didn't want to create a new one.)

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Is there one glue/activator that's better to buy than the rest? (sorry for bumping an old thread, but I didn't want to create a new one.)

nope, no notable difference in the different brands I have used over the years. just go to hobby lobby and get the medium type and accelerator. you will be in good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread