Ported throttle body and intake

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
since my blowers out to get ported, decided to work alittle on the throttle body and intake. i got 6 pics but dont know how to post em. i'll e-mail them to someone if they will post em on this post.

btw. im not claiming anything with my porting skills (very limited) just thought id share.

Last edited:

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
i wont know because i'm doing the ported blower. 8lb lower. predator, and denso it22's, and the throttle body and intake all at once. but supposedly its just alittle mid range torque and throttle response.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Use the IMG command to post the pics. But first you need to upload them to a site that will host them. The IMG tag would look something like this. In my example below the left and right parenthesis should actually be a bracket. I had to do it this way so that it wouldn't try to display a pic.

(img]members.cox.net/robert6/img1.jpg[/img)

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Amazon racing is doing a ported stock TB and plenum now. And some guy on here got 15rwhp from it. :rockon: I'm waiting on mine to arrive on my door step anyday now:-D

Last edited:

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
0.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Shanezam203

Established Member
looks good. on the subject of throttle body, if I were to get a single blade with a ported plenum, would the plenum line up with the new tb going sideways, or is it going to still be up and down like factory tb?
thanks, Shane

71stang99

Established Member
nice photos, so one can eliminate the two points that are sticking down? I thought about it but was worried about screwing something up

Last edited:

71stang99

Established Member
I wonder why some aftermarket manufacturer doesnt think of a way to produce this piece in carbon fiber or plastic, the should be able to construct a similiar part with better flow characteristics then a ported elbow, just a thought

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
its important to blend everything
properly, and make sure all your bends and turns are rediused properly. u can see in a post i just did that i did my own. im not claiming anything with my port job, just thought i would share. i think most the improvments were maid to the intake and not the throttle body, i doubt it will do very little. one thing i did do was remove the long screws holding the blades on and install much shorter ones with ALOT of red locktight. other than that i removed the acces material in the front that looks like a casting plug and just belnded everything nicely. was much to improve on the stocker without going to larger blades.

on the intake u noticed i removed the 2 lumps that are for the iac bolts, there is still about half an inch threads left for the bolts and its how accufab had theres set up, maybe billetflow as well. you can also see i knife-edged the inlet of it coming off the back of the throttle body. this should help speed up the air going through it more than anything i did to the trottle body itslef, with will help part throttle response.

lastly i talked to bob stiegemeier who is doing my blower and they port mach the entrance to the blower to the gasket. so i did the same to the intake. i also removed considerable amount of material from the 3 obstructions in the intake however there indentions from the backside so u can remove them completely.
the large one is actualy somewhat shaped like a wing. so all you need to do is shape it even more and get it as small as possible. this will help speed up the air past it. so there isnt pressure differences in the intake which will cause turbulance. the second larger is somewhat wingshaped also. however its backwards whic isnt desireable. but theres enough material to were shaping isnt to important. u can almost remove it completely. and thats what i tried to do. the third is real small and u can almost all but remove it entirely, and should disrupt flow very little if at all. just make sure it all blends nicely!

D-Cobra

Established Member
i'm interested in seeing a comparison chart between a ported TB & intake, and a single blade TB and intake.

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
i just ported my stock throttle body just like the pictures...and you can tell a DEFINANT difference from 3000-5000 and the throttle response is a lot better too...AND it was FREE!!!

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
thanks for the update 11seccobra. i wont get to feel anything from mine cause its going on with the apten, 8 lb lower, predator with rwtd tune and denso it22's. so my car should be like night and day.

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
d-cobra, the single blade should out perform the ported stock piece. just depends on what your budget will allow. however i do feel a ported unit will support u just fine for up to 550-600 rwhp.

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
P.S. alittle about polishing. as you can see the throttle body was finished off with 180 grit wheel. this is more than enough, 80 or 120 will do. the plenum was finished off with 40 grit. the reason for this is because i plan on spraying nitrous, and taping my jet into the plenum. i will run a wet shot. if its TOO smooth and slick of a surface the fuel can actualy condense, and puddle in the intake which we all know is undesireable. which is also the reason if u ever see ported heads. the ports, or atleast the intake ports wont be polished to a shine. they are generaly finished with no finer than a 40 grit. and besides air doesnt need to see itself in a shiney surface to flow great!

FYI

YGETV8

Established Member
What I assume is the ported TB pic isn't showing up? (red "x" after stock TB pic) Would like to see it, too, if you can. Nice work!Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread