Possible causes for shifting problems. Can we adjust our bell housing alignment?

silvercoffin

Established Member
These are common problems for hard shifting/trouble shifting from Bob Hanlons site. Is it possible to adjust the bellhousing alignment on a cobra? Is that something that is always done when we get a new clutch?

POSSIBLE CAUSES FOR HARD SHIFTING INCLUDE:

Clutch not releasing
#

Improper or low transmission lubricant
#

Shifter shaft or shift rail binding
#

Binding of sliding synchronizers or gears
#

If reverse only, seized backup switch
#

Worn or damaged flywheel pilot bushing Bell housing misaligned

Juruense

Banned
The below information is from the Ford Racing Parts FAQ located here -> http://www.fordracingparts.com/faq/faq.asp

Q.: How do I check bellhousing alignment?

A.: The first step is to check bellhousing face runout. You are checking for parallelism of the back of the bellhousing to the back of the block. Install the dial indicator (as shown fig.1). Rotate the crankshaft and mark down the reading. Be sure to push the crankshaft against the thrust bearing for an accurate reading. Maximum runout is .010.

The next step is checking bellhousing bore runout. You are checking to see if the bellhousing bore centerline is aligned with crankshaft centerline. Reposition the dial indicator in the bellhousing bore (as shown fig. 2). Rotate the crankshaft and mark down the readings. Maximum out of concentricity is .015. If the bore runout is out of spec. install appropriate offset dowels.

Offset alignment dowels can be purchased from Lakewood.
.007 PN 15950
.014 PN 15960
.021 PN 15970

bellhousingfig1.gif

bellhousingfig2.gif

Q.: Clutch/Transmission Installation Tips For 1986 and Newer V-8 Mustangs

A.: The flywheel to crankshaft bolts must be hand-torqued to 75-85 ft./lbs. (302/351W) and 54-64 ft./lbs. (4.6L) The 10.5" pressure plate bolts must be torqued to 12-24 ft./lbs. and 11" pressure plate bolts to 33 ft./lbs. + 1/4 turn.

Be sure to use the alignment dowels in the flywheels. Pressure plate bolts and alignment dowels for the 10.5" clutch can be purchased using PN M-6397-A302. Pressure plate bolts N808969-S100 and alignment dowels D1FZ-6397-B are for the 11" pressure plate.

Evenly tighten bolts in a circular direction one turn at a time. Bellhousing alignment is crucial for proper clutch and transmission function.

Due to production tolerances of engine blocks and bellhousings, it is possible for the transmission centerline and crankshaft centerline to be misaligned. Misalignment can cause transmission gear wear, transmission jumping out of gear, driveline vibration, clutch pedal vibration, pilot bearing noise, release bearing noise or excessive clutch spin time. It may also damage the pilot bearing, transmission mainshaft bearing and clutch hub. It will also cause harsh shifting.

Before installing the bellhousing, check the block mounting surface and bellhousing surfaces for nicks, dents, paint debris, etc. These are some things that could affect the accuracy of your measurements.

silvercoffin

Established Member

ok...

This could very well be my mysterious problem.

Is this something that is normally checked or do you think most shops and mechanics just throw the clutch on and hope for the best?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Man Jason how long have you been chasing this now? I hope you get it fixed soon!:beer:

silvercoffin

Established Member

Yeah i know thanks... so does my wife.. lol

For now things are on hold. We are planning on buying a house before the summer if we find something we like.

Im just pissed off because shops wont work on it because it seems ok to them on the street. Its not right on the street and its really screwed up at the track.

The only way Ill get a shop to check the alignment is if I pay them to install a new clutch..otherwise they wont work on it. So i guess thats the plan when i have the money ill probably get a FMS clutch as long as I can getr one 26 spline and a stock flywheel. When we pulled my fms clutch out while I still had the stock tranny it looked fine so they hold up long enough..but I had the spec 3+ put in hoping it would fix my initial shifting problems.

Users who are viewing this thread