Possible purchase of supercharged 1997 Viper GTS

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well I went to check out a 1997 Viper GTS with a ROE Supercharger on Saturday. During the test drive in mid second gear while flooring it the car backfired and the aftermarket air to fuel ratio gauge was reading at 16+ and would peg at 24 and stop working. So needless to say I am sure the AFR gauge is not working correctly. To be 100% honest I expected this thing to be much faster, it didn't feel much faster then my 04 pullied Cobra does.

We put it on a lift and checked it out and the car is very clean underneath, inside, & out besides a couple paint bubbles on the hood (The hood & front bumper have been repainted due to them getting scratched when loaded on to a trailer.

I am having the shop take it to RET (Racers Edge Tuning) today to have the car put on a dyno & have the AFR checked out to ensure everything checks out.

Mods: ROE 2.8 Supercharger, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Full catted exhaust, water/meth injection, upgraded fuel system.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for?

Update here is a video of the Viper being pulled out after the Dyno, didn't get a video of the dyno.

Well I just had it checked out and put on a dyno, the Supercharger is done. Not putting out any boost and it dynod at 488.44 rwhp & 558rwtq on the first run and 469.93rwhp & 562.96 rwtq on the second run. which explains why is doesn't feel faster then the Cobra.

Glad I didn't buy it before getting it checked out. Going to see about getting it for a good deal from the dealer and look into supercharger rebuilds.

here is a video of the Viper being pulled out after the Dyno, didn't get a video of the dyno
https://youtu.be/2FXH6xTTfm8

55930d72ae_1024_zps3fcxxlgu.jpg

22a3555bc2_640_zpsc8ueovsu.jpg

16d392d80e_1024_zps1pvaftgx.jpg

1aadfda9a3_1024_zpsvihqz65m.jpg

4f0267f2b5_1024_zpsqedluyje.jpg

16d392d80e_1024_zpsqlncjrin.jpg

image1%2018_zpskmayjyyy.jpg

image3%203_zpsb5xpzg1y.jpg

image2%2013_zpstugrle2p.gif

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Sounds like a possible case of someone putting their problem up for sale. Glad you're taking it to a shop to have it checked out.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Well I just had it checked out and put on a dyno, the Supercharger is done. Not putting out any boost and it dynod at 488.44 rwhp & 558rwtq on the first run and 469.93rwhp & 562.96 rwtq on the second run. which explains why is doesn't feel faster then the Cobra.

Glad I didn't buy it before getting it checked out. Going to see about getting it for a good deal from the dealer and look into supercharger rebuilds.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I have a Roe sc on my build '96 GTS. Runs like a raped ape. As with everything, it's all in the tune. At 2.8L, it's quite small for and engine of this size, and no intercooler means 7-8# is all you will typically see without other modifications. Meth or the juice will allow you to run more. On an otherwise stock engine, you will see 600-650rw.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
I have a Roe sc on my build '96 GTS. Runs like a raped ape. As with everything, it's all in the tune. At 2.8L, it's quite small for and engine of this size, and no intercooler means 7-8# is all you will typically see without other modifications. Meth or the juice will allow you to run more. On an otherwise stock engine, you will see 600-650rw.

It has an intercooler & meth/water.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Very interesting.

I have no idea how they could possibly fit an intercooler. There is zero hood space for the addition of an IC. Must be some elaborate custom piece.

actually may just be a heat exchanger, sorry man the dealer wasn't able to tell me much I had to research most of it.

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
My '97 Gts is def different than anything I've ever driven. Visibility is limited, you just get used to it. I'm turbo'd. I'm sub 1000whp. It's an animal. I still prefer driving the stang though.

I heard that the superchargers on the gen 2's have a lot of pressure on the pulley and they break but they make great power.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
It is a beautiful car, just trying to get the dealer to either come down significantly on price or get everything fixed has been a pain so far. We will see how it goes, if the dealer refuses to budge I will walk.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Dealer will likely pass and just wait for some sucker to come buy and lay down cash without having the car gone over.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
My '97 Gts is def different than anything I've ever driven. Visibility is limited, you just get used to it. I'm turbo'd. I'm sub 1000whp. It's an animal. I still prefer driving the stang though.

I heard that the superchargers on the gen 2's have a lot of pressure on the pulley and they break but they make great power.

How commonly does this happen? Do you happen to have any links on the subject. I have been able to find very little regarding the ROE supercharged Vipers.

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
How commonly does this happen? Do you happen to have any links on the subject. I have been able to find very little regarding the ROE supercharged Vipers.

That I couldn't tell ya. I recall reading some stuff on one of the Viper forums about the snout having issues with pulley pressure. It's been awhile.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

That's how I popped my motor. Spun the dampener off and effd'up the crank snout. You should key the crank. If not, I would inspect every oil change.

It's a very rare occurrence, so I wouldn't be terribly worried about it.

Users who are viewing this thread