possible reason for belt squeal

crizzut

Established Member
I've seen alot of people ask about the belt squealing in their cobras. I think I may have found a possible reason for some of these occurrences. I noticed that my belt began to squeal badly after i detailed my engine with simple green. I removed the belt and lathered it with WD40 and let it sit for about 30 minutes. After that I wiped down the residual oil reinstalled and started it up. Of course the oil made the belt squealed even louder so i drove it around for a little bit and it soon stopped. Well I just recently detailed my engine again and the squealing started up again. Instead of going through all the crap again with the WD40 I just bought a new belt. When I put the new and old ones together it looked like the finish on the rubber was very different. I have a feeling the strong base in the simple green eats away at the finish of the belt and dries out the rubber. From now on I'll be detailing with the belt off. Hope this helps.:-D

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Mine would squeal constantly. I took a good look at it and saw that it was stretched almost as far as the tensioner would allow. Put a new belt on last week and no squealing.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
On mine I cleaned the engine once about a month ago and used Simple Green but I covered the belt. I'd say it was original.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Spray armor all on it. Works very well, but doesn't a very long time. Keep you from buying a belt for a little while though.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
New belt or I have sucess with dishwashing liquid believe it or not.

Seems to clean dirt/grease off.

Once the belt has wear and a glaze on it they are prone to squeal.

Users who are viewing this thread