Possibly very stupid question, if I had my clutch fluid flushed, is that brakes too?

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
I know this could be a very stupid question, but I know on our cars the brake reservoir is the same as the clutch reservoir, I had mine flushed\changed about 7k miles ago and the fluid from that reservoir is still clear and like new. I was just wanting to make sure those two are tied together, otherwise I for dang sure gotta get the mustang back to my mechanic to get it the brakes flushed. I'm not near my car right now so haven't gone to check if there is an actual brake fluid cap and was just wondering. Thanks!

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
To actually flush you need to open each brake bleeder valve until the fluid runs clean. To flush the clutch, unless you've got an aftermarket bleeder valve you have to disconnect the clutch line at the clutch until it runs clean. Even then you've got old fluid in the slave cylinder that'll probably be there forever.

Steve

Last edited:

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Alright, well I'm off to my mechanic this week. Have you all ever heard of Motul brake fluid? That is what he has on hand for the M5\M6 but I didn't know if I should get another one to be safe.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Welp, nevermind it's the 5.1 fluid which is a-ok unless you have a car that came with dot 5 in your brake system. Stuff handles 200f above what stock motorcraft brake fluid does...kinda amazed.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Motul fluid is very good stuff. 5.1 is fine, but you'll need to flush it every year or so because it absorbs a lot of moisture.

Users who are viewing this thread