Powder coated calipers

99cobrasvt

Established Member
So I have been on this site since 04. I do not post much but I am on a few times a week since then! Figured I do some cool projects I should start posting.
I do some Powder coating on the side at home. Here is some calipers I did for my other Cobra. I installed them on my new Mystichrome. I was not sure how they would look red on this car, My other car was black but in person they look good I think.

Attachments

• 20210227_184029.jpg
    20210227_184029.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210215_183708.jpg
    20210215_183708.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210104_110954.jpg
    20210104_110954.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210117_160046.jpg
    20210117_160046.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 98

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks! I do some small jobs yes depends what it is. I would not do Calipers there is too much work involved for me with a full time job.
Yeah there is, I did the same. Take off, tear apart, have powder coated, rebuild, new steel braided lines, install...bleed. Not Again...lol.

99cobrasvt

Established Member
Yeah there is, I did the same. Take off, tear apart, have powder coated, rebuild, new steel braided lines, install...bleed. Not Again...lol.
Exactly plus I did the powder coating.
Take apart, Clean, Sandblast clean again and again in water for glass in ports . Then mask, Bake to degas. let cool. Apply powder and bake again. Let cool then assemble and apply decals.
No wonder guys charge alot for doing calipers haha

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A lot more work than I realized. Those red Brembo calipers came out great. How much more work is a high-gloss power coat? I know the powder comes in a range of gloss levels. Does it require additional coatings or steps?

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
A lot more work than I realized. Those red Brembo calipers came out great. How much more work is a high-gloss power coat? I know the powder comes in a range of gloss levels. Does it require additional coatings or steps?

Powdercoat is an interesting and occasionally fun thing and the results can be awesome. Once it melts the final sheen will be there. Gloss, satin or flat. Consider it a harder single stage paint. Sometimes you can do a clear over stuff but that can yellow over time.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Powdercoat is an interesting and occasionally fun thing and the results can be awesome. Once it melts the final sheen will be there. Gloss, satin or flat. Consider it a harder single stage paint. Sometimes you can do a clear over stuff but that can yellow over time.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Thanks for that info. I've never powdercoated and find it an interesting and really beneficial skill/mod, appearance wise. I remember reading a few years ago a thread where a couple of guy used their kitchen oven for baking, and another who had an oven in his garage specifically for powder coating because his wife said NO to using the kitchen oven. LOL.

99cobrasvt

Established Member
Thanks for that info. I've never powdercoated and find it an interesting and really beneficial skill/mod, appearance wise. I remember reading a few years ago a thread where a couple of guy used their kitchen oven for baking, and another who had an oven in his garage specifically for powder coating because his wife said NO to using the kitchen oven. LOL.
Bob yes I have an oven in one of my garages for the process. it smokes when you degas parts if there is any oil! You could never do this in a house. I seen on you tube people did it lol.

For the levels of gloss there is Flat, Matte, Semi gloss, High gloss also clear. you can do a 3 stage also which is tricky! I have one looks little bit like Mystichrome not as much green though its a 3 stage. You can make it run if you put too much or have orange peel also. It can not be sanded though.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
We used Powder Paint on a larger level in the Navy. Use to powder paint underwater mines(INERT) after we water blasted them. Had a J frame with hoists and would flow bombs from waterblast to phosphate bath to first heater to powder to last heater. Huge waste of time and money because they would come back just about as messed up as the wet painted mines after being in the ocean. Then it was even harder to get the old powder off in the water blaster. I tried to warn them....owell.

Users who are viewing this thread