Power steering pump.

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
I installed a aftermarket moroso power steering tank. I filled tank and turned steering wheel left and right lock to lock. The pump starting whining and leaking. I had a used pump and did the same procedures. Im I doing the bleeding process wrong. It destroyed two pumps now. Thanks for any feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Does the Moroso tank have the hose fittings in the same spot as stock? No chance you got the feed and return reversed?

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
Does the Moroso tank have the hose fittings in the same spot as stock? No chance you got the feed and return reversed?

Their in the same spot. Both line are different in size. No way to mix in them up.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
What exactly was your process when you were bleeding your PS pump, if the engine was running right away that could be why you toasted it. When I changed the PS pump on my wifes Legacy I got the front wheels up off the ground and with the steering wheel unlocked and the engine off I went lock to lock at a moderate pace for about 10 minutes straight. Bumped the ignition over a few times and did another 10 minutes lock to lock with the engine off.

Checked the fluid level, had the wife go lock to lock a few times while watching for any bubbles. With no bubbles had the wife start the car and watched the fluid level and listened for any squealing/bubbles. If there were any bubbles or screeches from the pump I killed the engine and did another 10 minutes of lock to lock.

When I saw no bubbles at idle and everything sounded normal I had her go lock to lock with the engine running. When I saw no bubbles and heard nothing odd with the engine running and going lock to lock I called it good. It still took a good 2 weeks of her driving the car before all the air was completely bled out, she was still having an occasional stiff turn during that time.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
sounds like you havent burped either pump sufficiently. with a good pump that was burped i had no issues swapping on a moroso tank

Dave.O

Established Member
When I replaced mine last year it self primed, only chattered for a few seconds when I first started it. As stated above with engine off, fill the tank rotate lock to lock then let it sit. Repeat a couple times before starting engine

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
The first time I installed the tank. I filled it fluid and closed the cap. I had no instructions. Started the car turned the wheels left to right. It was fine then hit hard to turn. I tried to keep turning the wheel. Pump was whining then I noticed smoke and leaking from pump area. Second time I filled tank left cap off and I did turn the wheel with car off several times. I started the car kept turning wheels. Pump started to whine leak then smoke. I had several people tell me that they just start the car turn the wheels and there good to go. Might take 15 mins of doing so. Someone told me I may have a bad rack. All did was change the damm tank. Lol

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
You pumped a bunch of air into your system when you started the motor the first time and thats what toasted pump #1. The air that was still in the system from your first attempt is what toasted pump #2. It takes alot of bleeding to get the air out, the more you bleed with the motor off the fewer chances you have of air toasting pump #3.

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
You pumped a bunch of air into your system when you started the motor the first time and thats what toasted pump #1. The air that was still in the system from your first attempt is what toasted pump #2. It takes alot of bleeding to get the air out, the more you bleed with the motor off the fewer chances you have of air toasting pump #3.

Gotcha. I don’t want there to be a pump #4. So I’m going to blow all the lines out make sure there’s no blockages. Putting the stock tank bank and take time bleeding out system.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Gotcha. I don’t want there to be a pump #4. So I’m going to blow all the lines out make sure there’s no blockages. Putting the stock tank bank and take time bleeding out system.

I was going to suggest blowing the lines clean the f-out to be sure. I bet there is a blockage of some sort.

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
I was going to suggest blowing the lines clean the f-out to be sure. I bet there is a blockage of some sort.

Yup. The pump is running dry for sure. The big line which I think is the return is easy. I’m going to get compressed air into the rest to double check. Sucks because I had a tune setup on Wednesday for the gen 5 buts that’s going to have to wait now. All this to add some looks under the hood smh.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Don't forget the pump also gives assist to the brakes on these cars. So there's a good amount of fluid to move. I'd keep the Moroso tank, just take your time.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't forget the pump also gives assist to the brakes on these cars. So there's a good amount of fluid to move. I'd keep the Moroso tank, just take your time.

Dam I forgot about the Hydro-boost, so is there any difference in the bleed procedure???

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you can get a helper to eyeball the tank it makes it easier, I had my dad stand there with a flashlight and just went back and forth with the car off until we stopped getting bubbles.

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member

I want to. It’s a nice tank. I powder coated it black. Had anybody heard about vacuum bleeding. I have a vacuum bleeder for the cooling system. I wonder if this works the same way. I keep reading that it has to be done what way.

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
if you can get a helper to eyeball the tank it makes it easier, I had my dad stand there with a flashlight and just went back and forth with the car off until we stopped getting bubbles.

Will do. I’m taking every precaution this time. Not going trough another pump. That nobody had in my area. Had to order from lmr

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Will do. I’m taking every precaution this time. Not going trough another pump. That nobody had in my area. Had to order from lmr

I have a Lyft pump, I think its called. Hook it to air and create a vacuum, put on tube and suck in the fluid. I would assume the same principle here. But I do not know how much vacuum is to much on the hydro boost. On a side note, have you used the vacuum pump on the cooling system? How'd you say it went? I'm about to do this.

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member

I haven’t used the vacuum pump in the cooling system yet. I plan to in the future. I did purchase that plug for the power steering pump and hand vacuum just in case. My buddy works at ford and printed me the procedure to properly bleeding the power steering system. I’ll post pics in a bit

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I haven’t used the vacuum pump in the cooling system yet. I plan to in the future. I did purchase that plug for the power steering pump and hand vacuum just in case. My buddy works at ford and printed me the procedure to properly bleeding the power steering system. I’ll post pics in a bit

Good deal! right on!

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
Here is the procedure.

Attachments

• 30822A44-49A9-4E49-8C23-BBDB43E2FEAB.jpeg
    30822A44-49A9-4E49-8C23-BBDB43E2FEAB.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 6A6084AB-7B84-45DC-AB75-21DAD20F7ED9.jpeg
    6A6084AB-7B84-45DC-AB75-21DAD20F7ED9.jpeg