power to the car?

jakesspv6

Established Member
I have a small problem, I am swapping the motor from my wrecked 98 cobra to my new 96 cobra and forgot to unmarry the tuner from the 98 so I could use it with the 96. Is there anyway to get power to the car with the motor halfway out of the car? meaning a lot of the plugs/sensors/alternator/tranny are all out of the car. any help and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Have you tried hooking up the tuner to OBD with key on? It doesn't see the ECU? I was thinking the ECU had power even with the engine harness unhooked at the firewall.

jakesspv6

Established Member
Have you tried hooking up the tuner to OBD with key on? It doesn't see the ECU? I was thinking the ECU had power even with the engine harness unhooked at the firewall.

Yea I was unsure weather or not it isn't turning on because nothing is plugged up or if I am just missing something that I didn't plug back up to get the power on again.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
What is still hooked up? Is the engine harness plugged into the big pass side firewall connector? Maybe it all gets power through the alternator connector. I wish I hadn't lost my Ford CDs.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
Hook up the power+grounds to a B+ source and connect the large engine harness connector back to the old car and swap the tune. The sensors shouldnt have to be hooked up just the harness that feeds the power/ground to PCM

jakesspv6

Established Member
What is still hooked up? Is the engine harness plugged into the big pass side firewall connector? Maybe it all gets power through the alternator connector. I wish I hadn't lost my Ford CDs.

Hook up the power+grounds to a B+ source and connect the large engine harness connector back to the old car and swap the tune. The sensors shouldnt have to be hooked up just the harness that feeds the power/ground to PCM

got it guys! thanks for the ideas/help! now I don't have to pay to get my tuner unlocked. :banana:

another question now though, the motor out of my 98 cobra is a forged motor with 9;1 compression and I had to get a tune and such for it. my question is, will I be able to use the same tune on the 96 cobra since it is getting all the same drivetrain? or would it be a better idea to go ahead and get it retuned?

jakesspv6

Established Member
another question now though, the motor out of my 98 cobra is a forged motor with 9;1 compression and I had to get a tune and such for it. my question is, will I be able to use the same tune on the 96 cobra since it is getting all the same drivetrain? or would it be a better idea to go ahead and get it retuned?

Bump

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
should be the same. assuming your using all the same air and fuel components. And I stated in my first post to hook the power/grounds to a B+ source, I want to emphasize only hook the POSITIVE to B+ and the ground to B-, Im sure you knew this, but didnt want to let that sit on my conscious

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread