Predator & Timing Adjustments

frdmstnggt

Mine: Audi, Yours: Innie
Established Member
I had my Lightning tuned the other day by a local shop out here. BSM Performance for those of you out here in Hawaii. A couple weekends ago I had a base dyno of 364RWHP & 430TRQ. My latest dyno with a new 4# lower showed 385RWHP & 465TRQ with tune set on 93 octane, 90 MAF (2000 came with a smaller MAF Than the newer models), and Pulley. The guys at BSM set the Air/Fuel ratio to a safe mixture using their in ouse dyno and wide band 02 sensor which was my ultimate goal. The predators factory loaded tune states "Safe for 13-14PSI Max". Now that I am at 14PSI I figured that it would be good to set the air/fuel ratio. BTW I have only seen 92 Octane out her in Hawaii. The shop told me that the 93 Octane tune has 13 degrees of timing compared to the 91 Octane of 11 degrees.

The guy also said that he tried to advance the timing from 3k-6k RPM with the Predator but he wasn't seeing any difference when he monitored the timing!? He also told me that there might be a 40HP potential with adding a couple degrees of timing. So know I am wondering how to add timing since my Predator won't do it for me. Also, do you think that there is really a 40HP potential with adding 4-5 degrees?

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
I am no expert so please dont take what i say as the gospel. Also note I have had my fair share of Guinness and Cabo Wabo tonight as well.

I learned in my 91GT days that each motor is different. My buddies 302 would take 18* of timing without a hiccup while mine would only take 16*.
Raise your timing and see if you have any pinging, if you do back off of the timing untill you are good to go (i.e. you hear no pinging and your truck runs good).

Raiden

Established Member
What was your A/F ratio? The only way to correct fuel curve and timing is by getting a custom tune from one of our supporting vendors. The tune that comes w/ the Predator is garbage. And you can adjust only a slight margin by just using the Predator. Those dyno numbers looks pretty good for a 2000 w/ just a 4lber.

BTW, are you in Paradise Cruisers too? Noticed your sig is identical.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
The latest pred tunes are safe. 13* is also plenty safe for timing even on 92 octane for the boost you run. If you had it dyno tuned then you shouldn't have any worries. Also elevated IAT2's will cause the PCM to pull max timing. You're not going to see 40hp by increasing timing 1 or 2*, 8-12 hp maybe but that's about it. The biggest change you'll notice will be increased throttle response. I'd leave 'er be and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread