Predictions: 03 KB Vert V.S. Built 402 GTO

Ande99SVT

Lazy Ass Rifleman
Established Member
Well my buddy and I will be returning from deployment here within the next month(Hopefully, extended once already!) and he wants to run his newly built 402 stroker against my 03 Kenne Bell Vert. Numbers are a bit lower than mine, I'm running 548/504 and him 510/468. He had his built by RPM Motorsports and from what I hear the thing is STRONG. He was running a H/C/I setup before with 440/400 and the car was impressive. The big advantage I see other than numbers is the fact that he will be running a 275/17 tire while I will have 330/18, will definitely be interesting to see how he does from the hole.

I don't know the specifics of his build, but he spared no expenses on it and it's a strong, solid motor.

Here is the dyno video for his:
YouTube

And a teaser:
Randall's GTO idle clip RPM Motorsports - YouTube

It should be a great race no matter the outcome. Just wondering if you guys have any predictions or pointers on this one. We will be going from a dig, 45, and 60 roll. We will definitly get this on video for you guys to see also.

Vid in post 157

03cobrarocks

Established Member
I think it will be close... I would like to give the edge to you....

What psi you runing on your kb? You limited to 91 octane? Duno if i ever seen a kb or whipple car under 550 unless its running like 15 psi

Poppacapp

Established Member
What is your weight vs. his weight. I know GTO's are not light.. not sure about the vert cobras

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
I wanted to give it to you but then I seen you have a vert plus 18" wheels with a 335 tire to his 17s so overall weight will be "about" the same. It is definitely gonna be close. I say whoever gets the best launch from a dig will win. The two roll races will be even in my opinion.

Edit- you wrote that you have a 330/18 tire so I'm assuming you meant a 335 and I noticed the Goat has a 275/17 so I can see you hooking but him not so much unless it's a good radial or slick.

Sent from my tuna boat note using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Pntbll309

Established Member
17''s will probably hook better due to the larger sidewalls. Should be close make sure to post the vid.

mebetter

Established Member
Is the GTO an auto or m6?

Vert Cobra is heavier than an m6 GTO. My cobra weighs in at 3650 and my m6 gto weighed in at 3685. Auto gto's are heavier than M6 though. Just like vert cobra's are heavier than coupes.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
+1 on heavy gto is heavy. My money would be on the cobra with driver mod.

Ande99SVT

Lazy Ass Rifleman
Established Member
Hey guys, I appreciate the replies.

03CobraRocks: Yeah I'm running 15psi right now with 93 Octane.

mebetter: It's an manual Goat, he could bang some gears in his old setup but I'm interested to see how he does with the added numbers and twin disc.

Poppacap: I'd say my car with me in it would be about 3940 (3780lb+160lb), he would weigh in at about 3925 (3725lb+200lb). He has done some weight reduction but I'm not sure if it's substantial enough to subtract from the total weight.

da5deuce: I have bfg goodrich on the back, swore they were 330's but I'm probably wrong.

Goat>Pony

Banned
If he has weight reduction it will be lighter than that. Stock manual goats are upper 3600 and with all the easy weight reduction (skid plate, v brace, full exhaust, spare) it will be 35xx which is a bunch lighter than a vert cobra. Should be a real good race.

D.T.R

Established Member
What's wrong with you guys making decent power, but ruining it with low profile tires and shit? Get some big and littles and have fun with the car instead of spinning like a mofo.

Anyways, I think the weight is pretty close within each other, but the cobra makes a lil more power so I have to go with the cobra. I've seen a few of those 400+ GTOs locally and they all seem to run mid 11s at around 120 & 121 .. they also make around 500whp on motor just like this one.
In for results :)

Evil6.0

Established Member
Hey I'm the "GTO guy" ;) . I do have some weight reduction on the car being around 100-150 lbs. My best time with 440rwhp and 3.91 gears was an 11.85. I do visit the track quite often. The tires I will be running will most likely be 275/40/17 ET streets that will be going on a spare set of GTO 17's I bought. I'm excited for the race and we will get some videos up when we run.

mebetter

Established Member
My prediction is the cobra will win from the 45 and 60 roll if the cobra starts in 2nd on both of those runs. With 3.91 gears, less weight, and better tires the gto should win from a dig.

Ande99SVT

Lazy Ass Rifleman
Established Member
We're going to make this one a full on event. After we get back we are going to get them both weighed with/without drivers. Next will be the dyno, and after that the runs. A few guys back our way have an airstrip that they run on, hopefully we can get some unimpeded runs on it.

I'm analyzing the dyno graphs right now, my torque curve is steady at 480 for about 2200 rpms, going to take apart Evil 6.0's now and see what's what.

Last edited:

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
I wana hype this race up but I've been heart broken before. :( I hope this race happens as planned, both of you have monsters for a vehicle:beer:

Sent from my tuna boat note using Tapatalk 2

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Why only 15 psi? I see plenty running 17 psi and a few running 19 with 93 octane...

Why dont you just get e85 and do 19+ psi to show gto your tailights :)

Ande99SVT

Lazy Ass Rifleman
Established Member
Why only 15 psi? I see plenty running 17 psi and a few running 19 with 93 octane...

Why dont you just get e85 and do 19+ psi to show gto your tailights :)

Well I bought the car with 15psi and haven't touched it yet. I'm heading to Cali in March and they don't run 93, at most I'll swap the lower pulley and get 17 out of her and play it safe, 19+ is a little too much for me hah.

Users who are viewing this thread