premium or base...hard desicion help?

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Went to one dealer today looking. I have to say dealers make me like laugh all the time, first offer was "invoice price but 20k for your trade" My trade is worth 24k so he comes back with 22k for my trade but 2k over invoice now. I just got up and walked away.

I hate the games some of those fools play.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
I got the base and made the dealer add leather for just over 30,000 OTD. The dealer installed leather looks and feels better than the stock leather and mine still came with power driver seat and sync. IMO, the premium at 6,000 more sticker was not worth it for some lights and the data gauge in the center. I already installed a sub and amp and the stock system sounds great and looks good. I would do it again.

Just curious....What did they put in?

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
After a week with the premium I'm sold. I like gizmos and the 4.2 lcd and nav works pretty well. Shaker pro does a decent job, the seats are ok but still think Recaros might have been the better choice. I unplugged the stupid pony projection lamps today, IDS didn't give the option to turn them off. Not using the ambient lighting. The IDS can enable shelby mode on the scuff panels, turns them red even with ambient turned off. Not much use but a neat option.

It seems somehow the total is more than the sum of the parts. Premium trim level really does change the whole character of the car, probably worth the 80-100 lbs.

Last edited:

FIVEHOE

Established Member
For me, the base was an easy decision to make. Considering I saved literally thousands (probably around 5 grand) going base over a premium. Seeing as to how the car is a weekend warrior, I opted out of luxuries such as ambient lighting or Nav. Wasn't worth spending the extra 5k+ when I could just buy a base and use that money towards a supercharger or mods.

Now if you are daily driving the vehicle and would actually use the features (such as nav, I personally have a smartphone for that) then go for it. It's your money and your car so might as well get what you want

Nocturnal5.0

Captain Go-Fast
Established Member
After driving my 2012 premium around for about 4 months, I had the chance to drive my friend's new 2013 base...he wanted a no frills platform to build off of, and man did it feel like that. The car itself isn't bad by any means, but driving it around, the interior just felt lack-luster. And to those who say the shaker 500 sounds terrible, try out the base stereo, it's downright atrocious lol. Well worth the extra bit of weight for the added fit and finish / comfort if you don't mind dropping a bit more cash on it.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
The seats suck and so does the sad head unit
And to those who say the shaker 500 sounds terrible, try out the base stereo, it's downright atrocious

It's not the head unit, change the door speakers out (maybe add a trunk sub as well) and you'll be happy.

Fun4me

Established Member
I have a premium, but I dont see why a base can't be tricked out much nicer. Leather seats are garbage. STB is like $100, Shiftnob $50. Who cares about the plastic wrap on the dash? Speakers are almost garbage, and would be considered garbage if they weren't oem. Am I missing something. Trackapps, you can get a $20 bluetooth dongle and a $5 Torque Pro app that will put trackapps to shame. Save your money for real mods, and try to get the finance guy to slip them in the loan. For 35k you could build a monster, for $500 a month.

Nocturnal5.0

Captain Go-Fast
Established Member
It's not the head unit, change the door speakers out (maybe add a trunk sub as well) and you'll be happy.

Yeah, I meant in general, the sound quality was crap between the base and the premium, not that the premium is by any means breathtaking, but it is night and day...worth the extra money? Not really, if thats what you're looking at getting out of it, but the package on the whole is better, fit-and-finish wise. Sure, you can always make the base better, but I got tired of messing with interiors over the years and just wanted someting that was nice straight off the lot. As others have said, in the end it's all about what you want to pay for, there is no right or wrong, unless you let the dealer tell you what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread