private parking lots...

bones srt-4

yep,still a neon.
Established Member
lets say i am doing some donuts having some fun in the snow in a factory parking lot. can the cops give me a ticket or even a warning ? i'm in kansas but i would also like to know for missouri too.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
lets say i am doing some donuts having some fun in the snow in a factory parking lot. can the cops give me a ticket or even a warning ? i'm in kansas but i would also like to know for missouri too.

Yes, because it is reckless driving which is a criminal offense. Criminal violations can be issued anywhere, regardless of whether it is private property or not.

i don't know, but don't they want people in their parking lot ? if they put up a no trespassing sign no one would park there.

Why would a factory want people parking in their lot if they aren't doing business there?

olefafl

Established Member
So how would that work out here in IN because this was on the News? :shrug:

State Troopers said:
That's why state troopers actually recommend you find a big, empty, snowy parking lot and do doughnuts. That way, you can feel the sensation of losing control and practice proper techniques until it becomes second nature, so when you hit a slick spot on the road, you're not panicking yourself into a tailspin.

State troopers offer safe winter driving tips - 13 WTHR

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
So how would that work out here in IN because this was on the News? :shrug:

State troopers offer safe winter driving tips - 13 WTHR

And the news reports the truth too. :nonono:

I don't see in the article where a Trooper is actually quoted saying that. Just the news text.

While it may be a good idea there is still an inherent risk involved, the State Police recommending anyone do that on SOMEONE ELSE'S property is just ludicrous. If a Trooper said that it was certainly an off color comment.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I will honestly say, practicing "losing control" in empty parking lots has made me a better driver. I've never just sat there and done doughnuts in a empty parking lot for the hell of it, but I've also whipped the car around and lost traction on purpose to learn how to best control spinning out. Although it was fun, it had a purpose and I wasnt just sitting there doing doughnuts in the parking lot.

Any time I've done it, its been at night, in an EMPTY parking lot, away from anyone else.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I will honestly say, practicing "losing control" in empty parking lots has made me a better driver. I've never just sat there and done doughnuts in a empty parking lot for the hell of it, but I've also whipped the car around and lost traction on purpose to learn how to best control spinning out. Although it was fun, it had a purpose and I wasnt just sitting there doing doughnuts in the parking lot.

Any time I've done it, its been at night, in an EMPTY parking lot, away from anyone else.

I agree with you, definitely not the same as doing doughnuts in lots. But the driver is enjoying it the same I'm sure. :burnout:

But I would still be hard pressed to recommend people do it. Go take some driving courses if you're really that concerned about regaining control.

Otherwise in my book its just someone playing around. As fun as it is there are people who should not attempt it.

I have handed out more "warnings" than I care to count for this. But they are just that. Warnings

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
When I first moved to Ohio I found a snow-covered parking lot for an empty shopping plaza and just goofed off.

A local PD came in and offered tips. He could see that I wasn't just doing WOT donuts.

Its pretty obvious.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Yes, because it is reckless driving which is a criminal offense. Criminal violations can be issued anywhere, regardless of whether it is private property or not.

Why would a factory want people parking in their lot if they aren't doing business there?

FORDSVTFAN, does this also apply if you have permission to be there (or own the parking lot) I'm going to assume yes, since it's a criminal offense..

but I do know there are places where you can legally burn out (called a drag strip) that I'm supposing have a sanction or something from the law to allow this..

thanks in advance..

bones srt-4

yep,still a neon.
Established Member
we have a vette club that does a time attack race on the mall parking lot. could the police hand out tickets at something like that if they wanted to ? it is with the malls permission.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
we have a vette club that does a time attack race on the mall parking lot. could the police hand out tickets at something like that if they wanted to ? it is with the malls permission.

If its controlled and you have permission I don't see why not

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
FORDSVTFAN, does this also apply if you have permission to be there (or own the parking lot) I'm going to assume yes, since it's a criminal offense..

but I do know there are places where you can legally burn out (called a drag strip) that I'm supposing have a sanction or something from the law to allow this..

thanks in advance..

Criminal activity is criminal activity, the owner of a private lot cannot give you permission to break the law.

Of course there are exceptions like race tracks that have be approved and have the required safety equipment, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread