Pro 5.0 Shifter 3rd Gear Reach - FIXED

8gtoklr

Established Member
can you use these plates on stock shaft? Or do you have to buy steeda/tri ax?

edit.
I bought the trix ax handle, will make some pieces and see if it works.

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
wow give me a pic of this one with the boot on lol

OP I would collect bank on this idea

I hear you but it's not about the money for me. I just like to help people enjoy the same passion that I have and that is modding car's in your garage.

Do you think it's coincidence that the new MGW shifter is very similar to my plates? ;-)

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...gws-revised-orange-handle-82-04-mustangs.html

can you use these plates on stock shaft? Or do you have to buy steeda/tri ax?

edit.
I bought the trix ax handle, will make some pieces and see if it works.

Sorry I don't come into Driveline often since I no longer own a Terminator. I am glad to see the thread is still alive though! IIRC the OEM shifter handle has the same bolt spacing as the Pro 5.0 and Triax.

46stang

Established Member
I just wanted to thank the OP! I used the templates provided and it is sooo much easier to shift into 3rd and 5th. I did alter it slightly though. Instead of placing the plates on each side of the shifter mount I used spacers and longer bolts to mount the plate to the left side of the lower shifter base. It moved the shifter closer to the driver by like 1/2 inch or so. Then I changed the angle of the bolt holes where it mounts to the shifter slightly to make the shifter sit slight more erect. I have a different handle then what came with my pro 50 so now It's perfect for me now. Again, thanks for the awesome template!

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I just wanted to thank the OP! I used the templates provided and it is sooo much easier to shift into 3rd and 5th. I did alter it slightly though. Instead of placing the plates on each side of the shifter mount I used spacers and longer bolts to mount the plate to the left side of the lower shifter base. It moved the shifter closer to the driver by like 1/2 inch or so. Then I changed the angle of the bolt holes where it mounts to the shifter slightly to make the shifter sit slight more erect. I have a different handle then what came with my pro 50 so now It's perfect for me now. Again, thanks for the awesome template!

:beer: :rockon:

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I just ordered the steeda one and thanks for the link to the guy who posted it. I'm all for DIY but... I like how the steeda one is aluminum and pre-drilled and I'm lazy and buying the stock and bolts etc... would be $10 as it is. I'll pay the extra $10 for it to arrive at my door ready to go.

edit: Just saw its for 3/8" bolts. Welp, nothing a tap/die set isn't going to be able to fix if it comes to that.

Last edited:

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Finally got this stupid steeda plate in. The front holes are indeed 3/8 and unthreaded, the back ones for the shifter are the normal M8x1.25 stock size and threaded. M8 matches up almost perfectly with 5/16" SAE thread so I ordered a 5/16 ID to 3/8 OD shaft adapter for $7 from the evilbays. When it comes in I'll cut it with a brake line cutter so its flush and should be G2G. Hopefully lol.

Last edited:

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Done, stick a fork in it.

IMG_20131221_210045_741_zpsiwwazdf4.jpg

IMG_20131221_210117_323_zpsdcejsfjw.jpg

Went to Lowes and bought some 3/8" OD nylon bushings. Reamed them out to 1/4" on the inside because 5/16" would have left them too thin put them in a vice with the bolt, hit with a heat gun and compressed. Bushing slid right over the bolt. Heated it again, grabbed the bushing with pliers and spun the bolt and it tapped itself right through.

IMG_20131221_210902_479_zpsv3lirndb.jpg

IMG_20131221_210912_588_zpseiqirdc6.jpg

IMG_20131221_163204_618_zpsidzuedfk.jpg

Neutral before

IMG_20131221_163236_695_zpsw4kopup1.jpg

Neutral after

IMG_20131221_210610_856_zpsl5rtdhye.jpg

3rd

IMG_20131221_210642_297_zpswvcj5tjk.jpg

4th

IMG_20131221_210651_760_zpsv3jkg2wd.jpg

Total cost from Jegs was $21 shipped and another 80 cents or so for the nylon bushings.

Bracket is here at Jegs. No idea why Steeda does not make this plate with M8 front holes instead of 3/8" for Hurst/TKO shifters.

The ONLY issue I ran into with the tri-ax handle was that I had to remove the Bullitt bezel ring because it was barely touching and pulling down on the trim. No biggie, kind of like it better honestly... might be ordering a 94-98 leather shifter knob to match. If you were to use a Pro-5.0 handle this would not be an issue. Also would not be an issue if I used the top two holes but I want the same short shift I was used to before so I ditched the ring.

Any questions just ask, this probably will not get seen much because its a sticky but I figured I'd back up my smack talk lol.

bubblehead93

Established Member
another option...

I'm 6' 4" with extended seat tracks, seat is way back...

neutral
Neutral.jpg

Third
Third.jpg

and Fourth
Fourth.jpg

of course you lose the stock look...

M_Smith

Just finished installing this mod last night, it fit perfectly with my Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and handle. Friend of mine machined the plates from stainless steel. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It's like a new gearbox and everything fit very nicely. It is so easy to reach now (I'm 6'-3" and have a seat track extender to move my seat back.) Also, it now has much better shift feel... more positive with a really nice short throw. Highly recommend it.

IMG_1904 copy.jpg IMG_1906 copy.jpg IMG_1908 copy.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your friend did a nice job with the machining. That's great that you're really happy with the feel and short throw.
upload_2021-3-20_17-54-5.png

nitrojunk

Established Member
thank god I found this ... im 5'11 and have hated shifting the terminator since the day i bought it .. This is my 4th Mustang and by far the hardest to shift ... is there anywhere to just buy this adapter ready to install ?

M_Smith

thank god I found this ... im 5'11 and have hated shifting the terminator since the day i bought it .. This is my 4th Mustang and by far the hardest to shift ... is there anywhere to just buy this adapter ready to install ?

Not that I'm aware of... but if you take the drawing to any machine shop, they should be able to make the plates for a reasonable price.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You definitely should be able to have a machine shop make it. Or you might be able to do it in your own garage with the right tools and some R&D. I'd probably make a mock-up from cardboard or plastic, test fit it, and then make adjustments to the mock-up. Once I had it correct, I'd then cut my own stainless steel plate. If you choose not to try cutting your own, you could then have a machine shop do it.

TommyT913

Established Member
Just finished installing this mod last night, it fit perfectly with my Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and handle. Friend of mine machined the plates from stainless steel. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It's like a new gearbox and everything fit very nicely. It is so easy to reach now (I'm 6'-3" and have a seat track extender to move my seat back.) Also, it now has much better shift feel... more positive with a really nice short throw. Highly recommend it.

View attachment 1695053 View attachment 1695054 View attachment 1695055
Do you have any pics of this with the boot and knob installed?

TommyT913

Established Member
I know this is an old thread but... Clicked on the links for the templates and needed to request access. Anyone have them available?

Users who are viewing this thread