Problem buying a new tire

Keith Stone

Banned
So I went into Discount Tire today to have my front passenger tire changed. I've got 245's up front and 275's in the rear. I was told that due to a new policy, I could not just replace 1 of the front tires without replacing the rear tires as well because of the staggered setup. I asked why but the salesman didn't do a very good job of explaining it, mentioning something along the lines of it being the tire manufacturers themselves that implemented this policy due to lawsuits and the such.

So, I went in expecting to spend no more than $120 to replace my tire and now they're telling me that I would have to cough up a minimum of $400 to replace the rears as well. I kinda lost my cool, made a scene, and stormed out. As I was driving off, the manager stopped me, apologized, and said that they would make an exception this time and just replace the front tire, which they did.

Does anyone know about this new policy? They also said that it wasn't just Discount Tire but every tire retailer. Sounds absolutely ridiculous to me.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
That sounds pretty goofy to me. I might have raised a little stink as well.

First I've heard of that. My neighbor manages a tire shop, if I see him I'll hit him up for some info.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
So I went into Discount Tire today to have my front passenger tire changed. I've got 245's up front and 275's in the rear. I was told that due to a new policy, I could not just replace 1 of the front tires without replacing the rear tires as well because of the staggered setup. I asked why but the salesman didn't do a very good job of explaining it, mentioning something along the lines of it being the tire manufacturers themselves that implemented this policy due to lawsuits and the such.

So, I went in expecting to spend no more than $120 to replace my tire and now they're telling me that I would have to cough up a minimum of $400 to replace the rears as well. I kinda lost my cool, made a scene, and stormed out. As I was driving off, the manager stopped me, apologized, and said that they would make an exception this time and just replace the front tire, which they did.

Does anyone know about this new policy? They also said that it wasn't just Discount Tire but every tire retailer. Sounds absolutely ridiculous to me.

Screw that, why not just take it somewhere else? If you took the wheel off the rim and brought them just the wheel and tire would they refuse too?

flamed03vert

Established Member
It's not the tire company's being sued, it's the vendors. Had this happen to me with my old Ranger 4x4 that didn't have operational 4wd. Because it came as a 4wd vehicle they were only allowed to sell me a matched set of four. They said it was company policy because the difference in rotational diameter could be significant enough to tear up a transfer case and limited slips. Which sort of makes sense but not on a beater without limited slips and 4wd that didn't work. I even asked to sign a waiver and they wouldn't allow it. But if you pull the rims and bring them in by hand they can't say shit.

Keith Stone

Banned
Screw that, why not just take it somewhere else? If you took the wheel off the rim and brought them just the wheel and tire would they refuse too?

I was about to, hence me storming off and driving away. However, as I was driving away, the manager came out and stopped me, telling me that they would make an exception in my case and just replace the front tire (apparently against this new policy).

As they were changing the tire, I asked if I could just bring them the rim off the car to have the tire changed without issue and he said yes, there would be no problem.

Bottom line is that I got the tire changed without having to buy new rears but Ive learned my lesson.....

oldmodman

Established Member
I could understand them only wanting to install tires in pairs, but all four?
That just sounds like a selling scam to move more tires.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
never had a problem buying a matching set of front or rear tires.. but never tried to buy just a single tire by itself..

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i buy tires on an almost weekly basis. fronts, rears, all four, whatever. never heard of this policy. probably their company policy as mentioned and probably not even THAT strict. probably dumb manager over reacting to it as well :rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread