Problem diagnosing help

v8musclecobra

Established Member
having a hard time finding what’s going on with my 97 cobra and looking for help. The main problem with the car is if i start in too low a gear, the car will buck on and off uncontrollably. Under a correct gear it’s not as bad and as the rpm rises it gets better. Only happens under load ( so it’s worse up hill ). Briefly looked at the u joint and they look fine at least on the surface ( first thought it was a driveshaft). Motor mounts are good. Transmission mount is brand new. Plugs are new, fuel injectors are new, fuel filter is new, no codes are thrown. Clutch is spec 2+ which was replaced several years ago but don’t notice any slipping. Any ideas of what it could be or any questions i could answer to help narrow down the problem?

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
The last time I had a similar issue, it turned out to be the coil packs. The problem would manifest itself when giving the car gas in fifth at highway speeds.

v8musclecobra

Established Member
I feel like it slowly got worse over a week or so period. Monitor the rpms throughout each gear? From what i see it happens the worst around 1-1200rpm and gets better to near gone as the rpm increases. The rpm doesnt shoot up at wot like i saw when the clutch was bad which makes me think it’s not the clutch.

Tillerman77

Established Member
Does the engine do anything unusual (i.e. does it sound normal) if you rev it up from idle when in neutral?

v8musclecobra

Established Member
New key...it seems to be fine in reverse; only in the forward gears is there noise/ hesitation. Could it be the 10 spline input shaft or would that also hesitate in reverse?

Re1iK

Established Member
Old thread but had a few friends get new plug wires with one bad plug, especially with the blue Ford Performance ones. I bought a set before doing my research and got lucky. Problem was with one of the plugs. Just cause they are new, doesn't always mean they work.

Users who are viewing this thread