problem. . ! !

64T-bolt

Fist Fornicator
Established Member
i bought my '03 a few months back and had only driven it on a test drive then. .it ran great.

today i thought i would take it for the first time as it was nice out (48 degrees f). The only thing i have done since i brought it home was add a LFP intercooler tank and a canton overflow as i had them laying around collecting dust. .

was cruising fine on the open road (operating temp) and thought i would lay into her a bit. in 3rd gear at 5500 rpm and about 17psi (kb 2.2) it bucked/missed pretty violently so i let off and kept cruising, which it did fine. i decided to get on it again to duplicate and it started bucking again so i turned around and headed for home. A mile later (bucking like shit) the factory temp gauge begin to climb and when it hit the "H" i shut it down. This canton tank has a vent on the cap (unlike the factory tank) and it was puking all over. trailered it home.

got home, pulled the plugs (look fine), oil is clean, coolant is clean etc. cooled it off and it sounds fine and revs cleanly (no smoke or bucking) in neutral, so i dont think anything is hurt but i am wondering why it would buck like that and then overheat. . ?

Was it perhaps overheated before the gauge indicated it and this caused the bucking? any ideas. . ?

I'm not new to blown 32v's but am new to terminators w/ twin screws. felt a little more violent than spark blowout. .

Last edited:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Your car will go into limp mode when it is overheating, it's possible you have air in the system. Burp the shit out of it and report back:thumbsup:

I agree. I did a " how to" properly burp the system write up a week or two ago. I didn't save the thread though. If you need help just pm me.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
+1 on air in the system. It happened to me when i installed my fluidyne. But it ran hot in my driveway.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Burp it and check your plug gap. You say it felt more violent than spark blowout, but can't hurt - would be nice if that turns out to be your fix for the stumbling.

64T-bolt

Fist Fornicator
Established Member
i think the problem is related to the fact that the canton reservoir i installed has that overflow port below the cap (unlike the stock on which does not) which vents fluid overboard as i didnt plug it. . . so the tank got warm and vented into a nonexistent catch can (ie.the entire engine bay. . i know, brain fart) thus overheating and stumbling and the temp gauge, as we know is junk and it did not begin to really climb until after the fact. . Im going to plug that port and burp/top off the systrem the right way. . and will report back. .

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
My Canton has what yours does and it doesn't overflow. Sounds like you need to burp your system.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
That port is for the pressure relief for the cap. If you plug it, your chances of splitting the Canton at the welds increases greatly. Leave it open per Canton's instructions. There is no catch can on these cars. That unplugged port does the same thing as the little "aqueduct" vent that comes off the rear of the lip for the cap. The canton port is threaded so you can put a nipple/ hose on it so any antifreeze vents out lower in the engine bay.

As for your overheating problem, I agree strongly that it may just be an air pocket. But pressure test the system to make sure, your Canton tank may be split already.

64T-bolt

Fist Fornicator
Established Member
That port is for the pressure relief for the cap. If you plug it, your chances of splitting the Canton at the welds increases greatly. Leave it open per Canton's instructions. There is no catch can on these cars. That unplugged port does the same thing as the little "aqueduct" vent that comes off the rear of the lip for the cap. The canton port is threaded so you can put a nipple/ hose on it so any antifreeze vents out lower in the engine bay.

As for your overheating problem, I agree strongly that it may just be an air pocket. But pressure test the system to make sure, your Canton tank may be split already.

is there a cap that will go on this thing that will function as the factory one does? if not, i may put the stock one bcak on or buy one that takes a factory cap as i do not want the possibility of coolant venting at the track or on the street. .

as for air pocket. . .i had no idea these cars such finicky cooling systems. I treated it just like my old fords. . i just swapped tanks and filled the new up about half way and called it good. . . guess not. .

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
i just swapped tanks and filled the new up about half way and called it good. . . guess not. .
Yup that's your problem. You need to refill and burp the system at the crossover tube plug and just leave the reservoir capped. Then check and refill at the crossover tube the next couple days when the car is cold.

Users who are viewing this thread