Problems with Ecoboost

T davis

Established Member
Anyone had a problem with there charge cooler it can sling a rod and put a hole in the block

jon henry

Established Member
I think I did once. It just studderd at 6k and would not grab 2nd. Had to let out as to the pinging I was hearing. Charge cooler?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I havent read about too many stock eco's putting holes in blocks (one of them did it twice, dealer apparently failed to recognize a failed open injector).

Ive seen where they are blaming the charge oil cooler on the stumbling that some complain about.

4DRHTRD

Ecoboosted!!!!
Established Member
I havent read about too many stock eco's putting holes in blocks (one of them did it twice, dealer apparently failed to recognize a failed open injector).

Ive seen where they are blaming the charge oil cooler on the stumbling that some complain about.
The F150's are having that issue pre-13. Apparently the intercooler stores up water while cruising and then when somebody accelerates hard (WOT) they blow the motor from water ingestion. It's happening in colder/wetter states, never in AZ.
The easy fix is an aftermarket IC from Full-Race or Wagner, tons of discussions about it on f150forum.com

balncobra

TRMN8R
Established Member
I've experienced the WOT stutter many times. My F150 is used for work and carries a bit of weight. I used to run 87 octane and since switched to 91. No more stutter at full throttle, hasn't done it once with 91. Overall the truck is waaaaay more smoother, and the fuel economy has picked up. IMO this engines requires 91 but Ford won't advertise that because it would scare off buyers.

railroad

Established Member
Ford has a tech serv bulletin out on this. They flash the computer, change the intercooler, replace plugs and drivers side cat. May be more, but these are some of the things done on a friends. Should not be a mileage or time restriction, since they acknowledge the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread