Procharger help please. Air hose pipe disconnected off snail

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Guys, so as I was diagnosing something else on my car n I noticed the black cloth like pipe at the bottom of the snail was disconnected. This could’ve been disconnected for a long time now I have no idea but I am just wondering what does that ultimately effect? Did I potentially damage anything like the blower or did my car not produce as much boost? I noticed there was a bunch of black tar like stuff at the bottom where the cloth pipe piece came dismantled. I connected it back on strong now with the metal clamp but just wondering what if any damage or repercussions could be.
Also do I have to worry about any of the procharger oil that maybe might’ve leaked out or that would not be an issue with the pipe coming off where it did?
IMG_1764.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That's the inlet pipe. I would give the flange a good cleaning. The only way it would damage anything is if something hit the impeller. I'm guessing you're a blow through otherwise you would have noticed driveability issues.

Depending on how much oil you're seeing it might be time to replace the seals.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you're running the procharger setup per the instructions then the passenger side PCV has a line going to the inlet. The oil in the blower is probably built up oil from the PCV. We would need a better engine bay picture to verify

also if thats a current picture after you corrected it, its hanging by a thread. You dont have much lip to bite on and looks like most of it is showing the top. If it comes loose and contacts the impeller its gonna be an expensive day

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
That's the inlet pipe. I would give the flange a good cleaning. The only way it would damage anything is if something hit the impeller. I'm guessing you're a blow through otherwise you would have noticed driveability issues.

Depending on how much oil you're seeing it might be time to replace the seals.

The inlet pipe yes thank you for correcting me and it did not disconnect at the top I was just showing you guys that as an example the bottom end of it disconnected and that’s where a lot of black tar looking like stuff was on the blower. I fully connected the black piece back onto the lip of the blower successfully with the metal braket n I can give it a few tugs now and it does not move at all.

I did just change the oil in the blower last summer so it maybe has up to 1000 miles on it only. My next question is with that inlet pipe loose is it possible for the oil I put in it to leak out or does the oil go somewhere else in the blower where I wouldn’t have to worry about that?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The inlet pipe yes thank you for correcting me and it did not disconnect at the top I was just showing you guys that as an example the bottom end of it disconnected and that’s where a lot of black tar looking like stuff was on the blower. I fully connected the black piece back onto the lip of the blower successfully with the metal braket n I can give it a few tugs now and it does not move at all.

I did just change the oil in the blower last summer so it maybe has up to 1000 miles on it only. My next question is with that inlet pipe loose is it possible for the oil I put in it to leak out or does the oil go somewhere else in the blower where I wouldn’t have to worry about that?

oil stays in the gear drive section of the housing, if operating properly it will not leak out either the inlet side or the discharge side. If seals in the blower go bad you can get oil leaks in a variety of places (housing seal, shaft seal <where the pulley mounts> etc...). If you have oil in the inlet side piping/elbow then most likely its from the PCV system. Again if you post a pic of the engine bay we could show you what to check

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
oil stays in the gear drive section of the housing, if operating properly it will not leak out either the inlet side or the discharge side. If seals in the blower go bad you can get oil leaks in a variety of places (housing seal, shaft seal <where the pulley mounts> etc...). If you have oil in the inlet side piping/elbow then most likely its from the PCV system. Again if you post a pic of the engine bay we could show you what to check

There was no oil residue in the inlet pipe whatsoever connecting to the snail. I also do appreciate that very descriptive description you just gave me. I learned something new

Users who are viewing this thread