Project Slow and Steady - turbo 98 cobra

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
what waste-gate are you using?

For now I am just sticking with the on3 gates and will upgrade after I get it running. Controlling boost through a AEM tru-boost as well. I am hoping that they will at least last a year or so, or just give me time to finish the car and then dump some money in nicer wastegates.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Update: Fuel System

Finally got around to finishing the fuel system. Took a little longer since I ran the rails in parallel so there were several extra fittings and running the lines to make them look as nice as possible took a lot longer than it should have.

IMG_2756.jpg

Full_Size_Render_2.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

All that's left for start up are wiring all the gauges and fuel pumps up, filling everything up with fluids, getting a maf sensor and tuner as well as a start up tune. Then the countless odds and ends that will pop up here and there. I would like to start it up this year before storing it for winter then next spring do the clutch and trans and some other small projects then hopefully get it to debut at MW2016.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
I've probably read this thread 15 times lol. Your not far away from hearing it.

Haha, thanks. Hopefully its not boring you to much with how slow progress is lol. It is getting close, but I know the small odds and ends will take a while to sort out. Still if I can get it started and broken in by winter I will be happy.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Where did you mount your fuse/relay board?

That's one of my next projects. The main relay board will be in the glovebox. It will be powering the gauges and electric cutout (when I get to that project). Then the fuel pump board will be back by the battery relocation kit in the trunk. I'm planning to put it behind the trunk panels so it will be put of sight.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Got a couple tasks knocked out this weekend. Started by pulling all the original fuel lines out of the car along with the factory fuel filter and bracket. I was hoping to get them out in one piece but with the sub-frame connectors being in the way I just elected to cut them out. I then blew out all the new fuel lines and mounted them into the car for the last time. I used the stock brackets where I could and riveted them into place so they are nice and solid. I also started installing the battery relocation kit. I still need to get the power wire routed back under the RSD and to the box but the hard part is done with drilling a hole to get through the fire wall. I also decided to wrap the cable with texflex to help hide it a little.

The return line was just long enough to route it parallel to the pump feed line. I was nervous as I new it would bother me if the lines didn't flow together, but in the end it worked out.

sump.jpg

Full_Size_Render_2.jpg

starter.jpg

Other small tasks I finished included replacing the pedal covers, re-installing the AC lines (except for one, looks like it will need at least one custom line to fit), also mocked up the exports to see how they will look. At the end of the day I took them back off though and boxed them up to keep them safe while I finish the car.

export_2.jpg

I have been in talks with Kurgan to get a start up tune and maf for the car so once those come in I can really think about the first start up and begin the break in process.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Got a couple tasks knocked out this weekend. Started by pulling all the original fuel lines out of the car along with the factory fuel filter and bracket. I was hoping to get them out in one piece but with the sub-frame connectors being in the way I just elected to cut them out. I then blew out all the new fuel lines and mounted them into the car for the last time. I used the stock brackets where I could and riveted them into place so they are nice and solid. I also started installing the battery relocation kit. I still need to get the power wire routed back under the RSD and to the box but the hard part is done with drilling a hole to get through the fire wall. I also decided to wrap the cable with texflex to help hide it a little.

The return line was just long enough to route it parallel to the pump feed line. I was nervous as I new it would bother me if the lines didn't flow together, but in the end it worked out.

sump.jpg

Full_Size_Render_2.jpg

starter.jpg

Other small tasks I finished included replacing the pedal covers, re-installing the AC lines (except for one, looks like it will need at least one custom line to fit), also mocked up the exports to see how they will look. At the end of the day I took them back off though and boxed them up to keep them safe while I finish the car.

export_2.jpg

I have been in talks with Kurgan to get a start up tune and maf for the car so once those come in I can really think about the first start up and begin the break in process.

Looks great! You're real close to start-up now!

Don't be surprised if you have to trim your fender liner because of how the fuel lines are routed. I ran mine the same way and wound up having to cut the liner a little.

Do you have any diagram of how you're wiring your battery relocation? I'm throwing around the idea of doing one this winter and always like to see how others do theirs. Everyone seems to have their own idea about how it should be done.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Looks great! You're real close to start-up now!

Don't be surprised if you have to trim your fender liner because of how the fuel lines are routed. I ran mine the same way and wound up having to cut the liner a little.

Do you have any diagram of how you're wiring your battery relocation? I'm throwing around the idea of doing one this winter and always like to see how others do theirs. Everyone seems to have their own idea about how it should be done.

Thanks, I am really chomping at the bit to hear it run again. After I tied all the lines and took a look I thought the liner will need trimmed a little. I tried to get the lines as close as possible to the old vapor line but with hose that big its just a little much. My wiring at the moment is really simple and has no shut off switch so it will need redone if I plan on going to any track events. As for now I just hooked the main power from the battery to the starter with a 200 amp inline fuse. Then the stock starter power wire that use to hook to the battery is cut and hooked up the the power distribution block similar to factory. Then the factory ground and new battery ground are just hooked to the chassis.

Like I said this is just a really simple relocation and will require the addition of a safety shut off switch if I want to take the car to any tack events. But for the purpose of getting the car going it should work.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Thanks, I am really chomping at the bit to hear it run again. After I tied all the lines and took a look I thought the liner will need trimmed a little. I tried to get the lines as close as possible to the old vapor line but with hose that big its just a little much. My wiring at the moment is really simple and has no shut off switch so it will need redone if I plan on going to any track events. As for now I just hooked the main power from the battery to the starter with a 200 amp inline fuse. Then the stock starter power wire that use to hook to the battery is cut and hooked up the the power distribution block similar to factory. Then the factory ground and new battery ground are just hooked to the chassis.

Like I said this is just a really simple relocation and will require the addition of a safety shut off switch if I want to take the car to any tack events. But for the purpose of getting the car going it should work.

That's my issue, really. Looking for a clever place to put a shutoff that will still be legal but I don't want to drill holes in the body or taillights. I thought about taking out the trunk lock and running a push/pull lever through there but then how do I get to the battery if the car is dead. Guess I'd have to put in charging posts somewhere. What should be a relatively cheap and simple project seems like it would quickly snowball...

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Your killing me man! That factory paint on your car?

Ha! I'm still waiting to see your stuff pop up in a thread!!!! No the cars been re-shot once but it was a pretty poor job. That quarter looks decent only because I cut and polished it to see if the paint could be corrected. It turned out pretty well but the rest of the car really needs a good paint correction and sealant.

Last edited:

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Im still a ways out from starting my build. I got my wifes Cobra tore apart at the moment. Plus my second child was born last week. Money is a little tight right now.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
I got a few hours a day to work on her car, not much. But I love your thread. Your attention to detail is Grade A.

Thanks man, I really appreciate the compliments. Unfortunately its impossible to show everything going into the car. I wouldn't have the space or patience to document all of it but a good amount is shown here, at least the important stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread