Project Slow and Steady - turbo 98 cobra

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Thanks. Yes Kurgan will be tuning it late spring/early summer time frame. Still need to upgrade the trans, clutch, and rear before I am able really push the car. Also some odds and ends to take care of like a small exhaust leak and installing the rest of the exhaust. Weather will take a turn up here soon so it will be parked and stored in the next couple weeks.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Out with the old....
12540886_10153397912695749_8374124175729886899_n.jpg

Picked up an '03 IRS to take the SRAs place.
image.jpg

image.jpg

'03 IRS has poly bushings throughout as well as drilled and slotted rotors and a differential cover brace and tokico shocks. Also came with the soft brake hoses and ABS sensors.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
After having the IRS for a couple weeks I was finally able to get it installed. I still need to clean it more but with it being 30 and below using water outside to wash stuff is less than ideal so it'll have to wait until spring. I'm still pushing to get it finished by May so I can take it to streetcar takeover at Lucas oil raceway. All that's left is the magnum, rxt, flywheel, tune, and whatever miscellaneous stuff I'll need along the way.

The install started with drilling out the rear frame rails for the subframe brackets. I'm using 9/16 grade 8 hardware for the two that needed added. I also went ahead and drilled out the lower control arm mounts to use 9/16 grade 8 bolts here too, instead of the 12 mm bolts.

914336D0-4680-4BBE-AA16-DC07FC14A22E_zpshob69sij.jpg
[/IMG]

After the subframe brackets were installed I moved onto cutting out the rear brake lines and adding new lines that will have enough room for the upper control arms.

27EE979F-EE71-4AD2-9544-F2DDB96F7678_zpspybzs4ka.jpg
[/IMG]

D1552E6C-FB0A-4A53-846E-C3DD06D6F20C_zps6x6pwswu.jpg
[/IMG]

30772977-94DE-48A9-99E9-4E99F2CC6428_zpscy2hbbxw.jpg
[/IMG]

I was able to run them similar to the factory lines and even reuse the mounting clips.

Next step was installing the shocks and maneuvering the IRS into the car and raising the front to secure the front subframe into the lower control arm mounts.

37D081B4-F881-47E8-A5A0-C7C31AF35AA7_zps6isvq8wd.jpg
[/IMG]

0B30B0CF-E60D-49E2-9C81-158C1EF303BB_zpsqtecddkn.jpg
[/IMG]

I also threw on my widened lemans to check for fit and they'll need a small spacer to give clearance for tires when I get them mounted. With no spacer the wheels have about 1/16th of an inch of clearance between the subframe. Also will need to pick up some low profile subframe bolts but the IRS is completely installed so I'm happy. Can't wait to feel the difference in ride quality and handling.

4DAF588C-903B-4468-A381-ACA9CF26D599_zpsg6rwrozw.jpg
[/IMG]

Love the look of the lower control arms, I also need to narrow down a good exhaust to throw on the car. I love the IRS tailpipes so it's a must now that I have an IRS.

Taking a step back the wheels look massive but they look like they'll sit close to flush when the cars at ride height.

F1BCD009-7635-466C-ADF9-7A2949D1E737_zpsvfqwimsw.jpg
[/IMG]

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Huge difference is ride comfort/stability between a straight axle and irs. At your power level, may want to look into some axles and some Full Tilt Boogie Racing irs bushings. The install looks great though. I got a 8 bolt 03 cobra flywheel if you need one.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Huge difference is ride comfort/stability between a straight axle and irs. At your power level, may want to look into some axles and some Full Tilt Boogie Racing irs bushings. The install looks great though. I got a 8 bolt 03 cobra flywheel if you need one.

At least this year I'm planning to stay with the poly bushings that are in it and upgrade next winter if need be. Install was a lot easier then I was expecting for sure. PM with what you'd want for it shipped to 47240 maybe we can work something out! Does it need new friction material or is it in decent shape?

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
No, its gonna have to be sent to McLeod for a new insert. They charge $120 for a new insert. But I'll ship it to ya for a deal. You will still come out way cheaper than buying a new one. I could text you some pics if you wanna pm me your number.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
, I also need to narrow down a good exhaust to throw on the car. I love the IRS tailpipes so it's a must now that I have an IRS.

IMO the best fitting catback or IRS tailpipes for the SN95 (with an IRS swap) would have to be either the Bassani system or the SLP system (although I dont care for their Loud Mouth "mufflers").

I started with a gently used Magnaflow system on my IRS swapped car, sounded great but the way the pipes were bent coming out from under the bumper (the way it looks from the side) bothered me. I ended up buying a previously enjoyed Bassani system and the pipes are bent and routed nicely in that area.

Car is coming along great! Keep it up!

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
IMO the best fitting catback or IRS tailpipes for the SN95 (with an IRS swap) would have to be either the Bassani system or the SLP system (although I dont care for their Loud Mouth "mufflers").

I started with a gently used Magnaflow system on my IRS swapped car, sounded great but the way the pipes were bent coming out from under the bumper (the way it looks from the side) bothered me. I ended up buying a previously enjoyed Bassani system and the pipes are bent and routed nicely in that area.

Car is coming along great! Keep it up!

I've been keeping an eye out for a Bassani/Borla/SLP system in the classifieds. I am not 100% sure what mufflers to try and go for (straight thru or chambered) don't want to rob to much power but also am after a nice healthy sounding but semi quiet car. I drove the mustang through high school and college with long tubes an offroad H and Mac mufflers and it was just way to loud for my tastes. I liked it when I installed the headers in high school but now that I'll try to hit some cruise ins and maybe a power tour or two with my family I'd like the car to be a little quieter lol.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
When we bought my wife's 03 it had a off road x and borla stingers. Way to raspy for our taste. I put converters on it and and sound really good now. But, not sure how they would look on a SN. The tips are 4" and maybe 8" long. The pipe size transition is gonna be seen. If the tubes were fully polished it may look good. I plan to polish hers soon.

Last edited:

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
When we bought my wife's 03 it had a off road x and borla stingers. Way to raspy for our taste. I put converters on it and and sound really good now. But, not sure how they would look on a SN. The tips are 4" and maybe 8" long. The pipe size transition is gonna be seen. If the tubes were fully polished it may look good. I plan to polish hers soon.

I'm not sure what it'll sound like either but I know the turbo sure quiets the entire car down. I mean my brothers 408 stroked 2000 SS Camaro with a full exhaust is a good bit louder than my car with an open down pipe. So hopefully the turbo with a couple straight thru mufflers will be as tame as an exhaust with cats in place. The transition does concern me some but I've seen a couple SNs with slp tailpipes that look great when they're fully polished.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I agree that the turbo does quiet the exhaust down. SLP and Bassani both have close to the same size tips. The transition can't be seen on hers due to the large bumper. I can't speak for SLP but I have Bassani on my Lightning and really like the sound. Its deep and throaty. But like you said, the turbo changes everything.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
No real progress to speak of over the nice weekend but I did get the chance to clean up a couple things and make a hose for my IAC, so here's to hoping that settles my idle issues. Hose consists of -10 AN fittings and nylon braided hose along with a 1/2 NPT to -10 fitting tapped into the intake manifold. It came out how I was hoping and I was able to get the line to follow the same curvature as the fuel line so I'm happy with it, I was nervous about putting another hose in the mix and covering up the fuel lines and making the space to cluttered with lines going everywhere but it ended up looking just fine to me.

40E61E86-0F5A-46B0-8E1F-37A406E79034_zpsdimvfgl7.jpg

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
So you just pulled the flared tube out of the IAC and run a 1/2" npt tap in it?

I have read of some people being able to pull the flared tube out after applying a lot of heat. I wasn't actually able to get it out so I cut the exposed end off with a dremel and then drilled the inside portion out. Then I ran my 1/2" NPT tap into the manifold.

Users who are viewing this thread