• Not Just No but HELL NO!

Votes: 117 52.2%
  • I like pie

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MikeW

Established Member
Ok my girlfriends son (lives with us) is going to senior prom this year. They want me to let him use one of my "cool cars". I wanted to see how many folks here would hand over the keys to a 17-year old to their 600RWHP cars?

car #1- My '03 Cobra Convertible 2.3 Whipple 17lbs 597RWHP

Car#2- My '03 Cobra Coupe 2.3 Whipple 21lbs 631RWHP

I am dumb for not wanting to hand over the keys to a 17-year old young man that drives a V-6 Camaro as a daily driver. Heck it is hard for me to keep these things under control on street tires...much less someone who has never driven a 600RWHP car. I just dont want to see him or his date get in a bad accident. Heck I dont even think he can drive a manual shift car very well :shrug: . Insurance can fix the car if something were to happen, I guess.

I get the stink eye when I act like I cant let a 17-yr-old have the keys to either of these cars.

Thanks,
Mike

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
ugh I'm 17, but would have to agree.. prom night... night time... girlfriend... I'd probably "test" its power several times that night if it were me. You can always lend it to me that night though, I'd take good care of it :p

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Mike, the car can always be replaced but the child can not. If you don't think that he can handle the car in every possible condition, than don't allow him to have the car.

If you think that power may be the problem, see if you can get the tuner to put in either a valet tune (limit revs to 3k). If thats not possible, Id consider rigging the boost bypass open to severly limit boost.

However, if the kid is responsible and has shown no signs of stupidity behind the wheel, than give him the keys.

My suggestion, let him drive the car with you in it, and see how he does.

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
Hell no! After I read Whipple thats what gave it away. Please, rent them a limo or something, don't let them drive one of your beasts.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
If you think that power may be the problem, see if you can get the tuner to put in either a valet tune (limit revs to 3k).

That was going to be my exact suggestion. The kid can still roll up and look cool, but can't screw around...

crj814x4

Driving GOD
Established Member
1st off let him drive the car with you a couple of time before. I remember when I was 16 going to prom my brother in law let me use his cobra 96 at the time. But of coarse he trusts me driving it. I was responsible with it. He trusted me so much the other times after he would always let me borrow it even his house when my sis and him went on there honeymoon. Ohh, when is prom. Hopefully in 3 weeks at least.
Drive the car with him a few times before.

MikeW

Established Member

If you think that power may be the problem, see if you can get the tuner to put in either a valet tune (limit revs to 3k). If thats not possible, Id consider rigging the boost bypass open to severly limit boost.

However, if the kid is responsible and has shown no signs of stupidity behind the wheel, than give him the keys.

My suggestion, let him drive the car with you in it, and see how he does.

I like the test drive idea :beer:
I may de-tune the car and see if he can drive it. One does not have a backseat so he may not want to use that one LOL

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
But he could just drive the car all slow and nice when you're in it. Just remember yourself back in the day and what you might do with that much power. You know this kid more than we do so he might be the most trustworthy kid ever but looking at most 17 year old kids, this is a bad idea!

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Rent him a Shelby GT-H...he'd still look cool and it doesn't have ridiculous power.

Quadcammer

Established Member
But he could just drive the car all slow and nice when you're in it. Just remember yourself back in the day and what you might do with that much power. You know this kid more than we do so he might be the most trustworthy kid ever but looking at most 17 year old kids, this is a bad idea!

of course, but half the apparent problem is that the kid may not be able to even drive stick.

MikeW

Established Member
Too much HP. Rent the kid a nice car to use for the prom. Problem solved.

That is where I am torn... I can de-tune the car but it both will still be 500RWHP or so. I will start looking into limos and see if that will make everyone happy.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
First of all, ask your girlfriend if she likes her son alive. Explain to her that no matter what she thinks or what the kid tells her, he's gonna go nuts driving a whippled cobra after driving a V6 camaro. He'll put it into a tree, light pole, or another car and kill himself, gf and whoever else he may hit. The price of a limo is well cheaper than hospital bills and your insurance rates going sky high.

When I was 19, I had my stock GT and put it backwards into the median after trying to spin the tires on a wet road. Only had it for a few months and didn't know how to handle a RWD manual car with a bit of power.

Seriously, the kid will hurt himself, because you know he'll either show off to his friends or his date. For her to even consider this is like bad parenting.

Edit: You can set the rev limiter and top speed with an Xcal2. Set rev limiter to like 3500 and top speed to 80. Of course he can still get into trouble with the low end torque. I would never even consider this whole situation.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Established Member
First of all, ask your girlfriend if she likes her son alive. Explain to her that no matter what she thinks or what the kid tells her, he's gonna go nuts driving a whippled cobra after driving a V6 camaro. He'll put it into a tree, light pole, or another car and kill himself, gf and whoever else he may hit. The price of a limo is well cheaper than hospital bills and your insurance rates going sky high.

When I was 19, I had my stock GT and put it backwards into the median after trying to spin the tires on a wet road. Only had it for a few months and didn't know how to handle a RWD manual car with a bit of power.

Seriously, the kid will hurt himself, because you know he'll either show off to his friends or his date. For her to even consider this is like bad parenting.

Edit: You can set the rev limiter and top speed with an Xcal2. Set rev limiter to like 3500 and top speed to 80. Of course he can still get into trouble with the low end torque. I would never even consider this whole situation.

maybe he's a rhodes scholar whose responsible, quiet, and mature.

you don't know the kid. Just because you did something dumb, doesn't mean he will.

Maybe he will just be happy sitting in a loud V8 mustang and driving to prom.

If I respected the individual who owned the car, I would not dare beat on it.

Users who are viewing this thread