Proper break-in for MMR short block

fuelforfire87

Established Member
So I finally received my MMR 1000 short block and while I am waiting for it to be installed I am trying to figure out the best break-in procedure. I looked at the documentation that came with the block and it says change the oil after the first 400 miles (will be using a amsoil break-in oil). It also states synthetic oil cannot be used for the first 6000 miles. Why would this be? I looked at a few other engine builders and their break-in procedure said nothing about not using synthetic oil, one company even recommended switching to synthetic after the break-in period. What is your opinion? And if it’s true that I can’t use synthetic, what oil should I use while the the car is being tuned on the dyno? I’m looking to make 800-850 whp with my procharger setup on E85 and would worry about not having a proper full synthetic oil like amsoil or royal purple in the motor while doing so.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I can't speak for car engine builders but in the outboard boat racing world we used a nickel cell cylinder coating. If we used synthetic oil during break-in it would take much longer for the rings to seat, and every now and then it would take way too long. When using the standard TCW3 oil the rings would come in very quickly.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
The synthetic is too slick for rings to seat .
If you like spending money , break it in with the synthetic oil ,,,,, and do it again and again .
The mmr instructions are easy to understand , and there for a reason .

fuelforfire87

Established Member
The synthetic is too slick for rings to seat .
If you like spending money , break it in with the synthetic oil ,,,,, and do it again and again .
The mmr instructions are easy to understand , and there for a reason .
What if you use break-in oil though for the first 1000 miles? From what i understand break-in oil is not synthetic. Wouldn't the rings be fully seated by then?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
As you said MMR specifies an oil change in .....
...500 miles .want to wait a thousand to change the breaking oil ....go ahead .
Then you can buy another engine , and go through this again .....

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Well i called MMR today, you guys were right, the reason for not using synthetic oil is so the rings seat properly. So looks like i'll be following their recommendation and using regular dino oil then.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Wow on the fact that i have to use regular oil for 6k miles? I talked with the guy building my engine and he thought it was excessive too. I looked a couple other companies break in procedures and they recommend using break-in oil for the first 500 miles and after like 1500 switch to synthetic. I paid extra for the extended warranty though so i dont want to void it.

Flcracker

Established Member
29D86225-D98E-43DB-AE95-CE2E9F7CC580.jpeg
Here’s what I got. Step 9 has break in oil being used until 800 miles. Do your instructions require you to examine the oil filter? I am going to be following my instructions to the letter.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Standard oils for 500 miles. Then I run synthetic. I keep it simple stupid.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
View attachment 1581475 Here’s what I got. Step 9 has break in oil being used until 800 miles. Do your instructions require you to examine the oil filter? I am going to be following my instructions to the letter.
No MMR doesnt say anything about examining the filter. Still waiting to get my car back but my builder is putting amsoil break-in oil so those rings seat quick

Sent from a Chevy S10+

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I used Joe Gibbs break in oil for 400mi then Mobil 1. Its a MPR short block coyote. From day one VMP gen2 85mm pulley after 1000mi droped to 79mm pulley. The engine doesn't use any oil between changes and doesn't smoke. Runs great and I'm 10k miles after the install.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Flcracker

Established Member
I think that the oil procedures are different when you are breaking in the engine yourself rather than it being done on a dyno. I'm pretty sure the rings seat quickly on a dyno. I imagine they would seat just as quickly if you did the same type of WOT hits on the street. Maybe even quicker due to more load on the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread