Psa

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I've written more than a handful of impeding tickets on I-95 for people going under the speed limit, but by VA law, impeding can't be charged for doing the speed limit. As for those going slow in the hammer lane, I can charge for failing to drive as far to the right of the roadway under 46.2-804, Code of VA, or fail to obey a highway sign (slower traffic keep right) under 46.2-830. Writing impeding for doing the speed limit would get us laughed out of court.

yeah and my question was specifically could he be written for "impeding" LOL! he told me there were other laws at play but its nice to hear the specifics of what they are :)

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
actually this kinda depends. I actually had a long chat with a Virginia LEO while waiting for court in Fairfax county.

I just had an argument with my brother about his driving. His attitude was "if I am going the speed limit in the left lane of a four lane highway I am not impeding traffic and those stacked up behind me can just wait" I also hate it when people don't drive at least the speed limit and don't understand why more of those idiots don't get tickets.

The officer agreed that my brother could be cited for impeding traffic even going the speed limit, and those that don't keep to the speed limit could be cited. he then said "I would love to write those tickets, but if I did I would be laughed out of court"

California had a law (don't know if it is still in effect or not) that if you had more than 5 cars stacked up behind you, you could be cited for impeding traffic regardless of the speed you are going.

The CA traffic section regarding impeding only applies if the lead vehicle is driving slower than the posted speed limit. It is rarely enforced on freeways, normally applies to trucks/trailers on grades where turn-outs are present to allow slow moving vehicles to pull over and yield to trailing vehicles.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I made this a while ago and I've already posted it a few times. But I think it's appropriate.

poster60302382.jpg

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
-NO, we will not run a VIN # of a car you owned when you were 16 to locate its current owner to buy it back during your midlife crisis.

Woody6799

Established Member
-Yes I am serious, handing you a summons is not a joke
-Yes I saw your window tint/inspection/seatbelt when you passed me at 60, I did not just guess and decide to stop you
-I do not know how much this costs, call the court number I just provided to you on the ticket like I just told you to do.

and finally...

I decided to give you a break on your speeding by writing you a silly little seatbelt ticket, don;t argue with me that you had your seatbelt on... take the hint.

Last edited:

einehund

Established Member
California had a law (don't know if it is still in effect or not) that if you had more than 5 cars stacked up behind you, you could be cited for impeding traffic regardless of the speed you are going.

Colorado just passed a similar law. YES!!!

Users who are viewing this thread