Pulled on an E55 AMG this morning

REPCobra10

Established Member
I was on my way back home from the store this morning when I came across a grey E55 AMG (469 hp) on Palmetto Park Road. Anyways, I was cruising at ~60 mph when I look in my rearview mirror and see a Mercedes Benz speeding up fast and then he gets right beside me and matches my speed, looking over at me. I gave him a thumbs up not really expecting him to race with me but he hits it for a couple of seconds to let me know that he is game. I yelled out to him "We'll go from 60 mph on 3 honks" and he obliged. I heard him downshifting his automatic (I don't know if that helps those cars any from a roll, after all they are still automatics) so I downshifted as well from 4th to 3rd gear. I honk three times and we're off from 60 mph all the way up to ~110 where I was a good 1 1/2 cars on him. This was on motor, no 100-shot against this guy. I was expecting him to give me a thumbs up but I was rewarded with a guy staring straight ahead. He looked like he took a bruise to his ego though! I thought he was going to be a cool guy since he wanted to race but first impressions aren't everything. This is the third time that I've raced an E55 AMG, with 2 of those 3 being victories. They are very fast and very nice cars. I'd love to have one! All, take it easy.

Patisi

Established Member
REPCobra10 said:
I was on my way back home from the store this morning when I came across a grey E55 AMG (469 hp) on Palmetto Park Road. Anyways, I was cruising at ~60 mph when I look in my rearview mirror and see a Mercedes Benz speeding up fast and then he gets right beside me and matches my speed, looking over at me. I gave him a thumbs up not really expecting him to race with me but he hits it for a couple of seconds to let me know that he is game. I yelled out to him "We'll go from 60 mph on 3 honks" and he obliged. I heard him downshifting his automatic (I don't know if that helps those cars any from a roll, after all they are still automatics) so I downshifted as well from 4th to 3rd gear. I honk three times and we're off from 60 mph all the way up to ~110 where I was a good 1 1/2 cars on him. This was on motor, no 100-shot against this guy. I was expecting him to give me a thumbs up but I was rewarded with a guy staring straight ahead. He looked like he took a bruise to his ego though! I thought he was going to be a cool guy since he wanted to race but first impressions aren't everything. This is the third time that I've raced an E55 AMG, with 2 of those 3 being victories. They are very fast and very nice cars. I'd love to have one! All, take it easy.

If you say so. Without the 100 shot. We dont know what else you have doen to your car either so, hmmmmm....

REPCobra10

Established Member
Patisi said:
If you say so. Without the 100 shot. We dont know what else you have doen to your car either so, hmmmmm....

2.93"/4# Combo through a Ported Eaton (~16.5 psi boost) with supporting mods of course. You're the same guy that believes a modified Cobra can't pull on a stock C6 aren't you?

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
REPCobra10 said:
2.93"/4# Combo through a Ported Eaton (~16.5 psi boost) with supporting mods of course. You're the same guy that believes a modified Cobra can't pull on a stock C6 aren't you?

i would expect you to slaughter him with those mods. yes the e-55's are quick, and stock for stock, they will take a terminator, but not many people mod them, whereas most cobra owners mod their cars. you should be putting out over 500rwhp and tq without the juice in a lighter car. if you would have gone from 70-80mph in 3rd, you would have bludgeoned him.

oh, and by the way, i pulled a fender on a stock (i assume) c6 with just a FIPK and catback from 80-120mph.

Last edited:

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
I have seen terminators make C6 owners feel dumb, but in defense of the C6 owners. very single C6 owner i have ever met have been stand-up guys. Always giving the thumbs up, and always being cool about the loss, or win for that matter.

REPCobra10

Established Member
kirks5oh said:
yes the e-55's are quick, and stock for stock, they will take a terminator. if you would have gone from 70-80mph in 3rd, you would have bludgeoned him.

I know they will own a Terminator stock for stock, as when I was stock I got raped hard by one. My car is flattening out a bit up top due to ignition issues, but it still makes a ton of horsepower and torque, obviously enough to take on a bad-ass Benz. A little higher speed may have helped a bit in 3rd gear as you suggest, but 70-80 mph is the type of speeds ricers are made of :lol: Anyways, take it easy man.

Last edited:

REPCobra10

Established Member
BDF8 said:
I have seen terminators make C6 owners feel dumb, but in defense of the C6 owners. very single C6 owner i have ever met have been stand-up guys. Always giving the thumbs up, and always being cool about the loss, or win for that matter.

You're absolutely right about most C6 owners being stand-up guys. Most are great guys and are respectful towards other cars, as am I. I like any fast car with a cool driver and always give a thumbs up or talk afterwards whether I win or lose.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
REPCobra10 said:
I know they will own a Terminator stock for stock, as when I was stock I get raped hard by one. My car is flattening out a bit up top due to ignition issues, but it still makes a ton of horsepower and torque, obviously enough to take on a bad-ass Benz. A little higher speed may have helped a bit in 3rd gear as you suggest, but 70-80 mph is the type of speeds ricers are made of :lol: Anyways, take it easy man.

true 70-80mph is rice, but most would say all roll racing is rice...so you might as well tilt the race to your advantage. almost all the races i get into (not very many at all) are roll races, simply because i haven't had my car to the track yet, and the freeway is the only place where i run into cars that are looking to make a quick run. one of the guys i work with has a cl55 AMG, and i'm waiting to run him some time.

REPCobra10

Established Member
kirks5oh said:
true 70-80mph is rice, but most would say all roll racing is rice...so you might as well tilt the race to your advantage. almost all the races i get into (not very many at all) are roll races, simply because i haven't had my car to the track yet, and the freeway is the only place where i run into cars that are looking to make a quick run. one of the guys i work with has a cl55 AMG, and i'm waiting to run him some time.

Ya, I definitely prefer racing from a dig, especially with my Hoosiers out back :bowdown: , but we were already rolling when he came speeding up behind me. Like I mentioned in my original post, I wasn't expecting him to race me but he was game as I found out. I have raced many AMG cars from a dig and they are brutal on the street out of the hole to be sure. To be honest, the E55 I raced from a dig a while back was one of the best launching cars from a dig that I have ever seen. They down-right get-up-and-go from a stoplight to the point of being almost intimidating to a Terminator owner. Anyways, the guy at your work with the CL55 will be a fun and trying race for you, unless you have a pulley swap. Have fun with that race man :beer: Take it easy.

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
REPCobra10 said:
Ya, I definitely prefer racing from a dig, especially with my Hoosiers out back :bowdown: , but we were already rolling when he came speeding up behind me. Like I mentioned in my original post, I wasn't expecting him to race me but he was game as I found out. I have raced many AMG cars from a dig and they are brutal on the street out of the hole to be sure. To be honest, the E55 I raced from a dig a while back was one of the best launching cars from a dig that I have ever seen. They down-right get-up-and-go from a stoplight to the point of being almost intimidating to a Terminator owner. Anyways, the guy at your work with the CL55 will be a fun and trying race for you, unless you have a pulley swap. Have fun with that race man :beer: Take it easy.

i also need to get some drag radials for my car to be competitive from a dig. with the mods in my sig i should be able to take him from a roll pretty easily, but i'm not sure if he will even run (he's an older guy). i haven't raced an AMG car yet, but have raced a few m3's and an rs4 and was impressed with these cars.

REPCobra10

Established Member
kirks5oh said:
i also need to get some drag radials for my car to be competitive from a dig. with the mods in my sig i should be able to take him from a roll pretty easily, but i'm not sure if he will even run (he's an older guy). i haven't raced an AMG car yet, but have raced a few m3's and an rs4 and was impressed with these cars.

As you say, definitely get drag radials, otherwise you're going to have a Hell of a time launching a torque monster like our cars are. The AMG cars are very strong out of the hole, and that is pretty much their bread-and-butter, if you will, which makes that their advantage. Once you get rolling and race them from a roll-on, they don't have as much grunt as from a dig race, granted they are still very quick from a roll-on. Hey, he was the one who chose to race me from a roll-on, not me. He could have kept on speeding past me but he chose to match my speed and let me know he wanted to run. It wasn't my fault he got beat :lol: That's cool that you raced an RS4 though, as I havn't even seen one on the street yet. I think the RS4 is one of the most gorgeous cars I've ever seen and with a 420 bhp 4.2L V-8, it should go pretty damn good, especially from a dig with it's all-wheel drive. How did you do against the RS4 by the way?

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
it wasn't a new one, but it was still surprisingly fast. he was going 70mph in the fast lane and wouldn't get over for me to pass, so i decided to pass him in the right lane. i didn't want to do a flyby, so i shifted into 3rd and decided i would slowly pass him. as soon as i was door to door with him he took off. he got the jump but i reeled him in by the top of 3rd and put a few lengths on him in fourth and shut it down while he kept going, but i was pulling away when i shut it down. i don't think he had any mods but the car was definately loud.

Patisi

Established Member
REPCobra10 said:

Correction, Yes, I am the guy that believes a modded Cobra will NOT walk an '06 C6 Z51 Vette. Why because I have seen them at the Track specifically at the Streets of Willow and on the 58 FWY East from Mojave to Boron.

Here is the primary reason why, you will need a considerable improvement to your suspension to begin to put all the power to the pavement which over 90% of hte guys that mod their Snakes don't do. As a matter of fact, I will venture as far as to say that suspension mods do not cross the minds of most guys in their quest for more HP.

I am not impressed with sigs that make all that power, yet do not also tell us what they have done to bring it to the pavement. It is hard enough with the tire spin we get with the stock power to the pavement, yet, now we see Cobras with power numbers north of 400 RWHP without suspension mods. Go figure how they are gettting an extra 100 HP to the pavement when the stock HP is a challenge, and we all talk launch skills?

2001BlackSVT

You're First or Last
Established Member
kirks5oh said:
it wasn't a new one, but it was still surprisingly fast. he was going 70mph in the fast lane and wouldn't get over for me to pass, so i decided to pass him in the right lane. i didn't want to do a flyby, so i shifted into 3rd and decided i would slowly pass him. as soon as i was door to door with him he took off. he got the jump but i reeled him in by the top of 3rd and put a few lengths on him in fourth and shut it down while he kept going, but i was pulling away when i shut it down. i don't think he had any mods but the car was definately loud.

then you raced an S4 rather than an RS4.... the S4 is the V8 with 340hp rather than the new RS4 which has 414hp... i work for an Audi store and get to drive these cars every day.... definitely awesome

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
E55s are sweet. I have a friend with an 04, and he ran 12.4-5 stock. When my L dipped low 12s he couldnt believe he was losing to a Ford. Havent ran him with my new setup yet... Nice kill bro.

REPCobra10

Established Member
Patisi said:
You will need a considerable improvement to your suspension to begin to put all the power to the pavement. I am not impressed with sigs that make all that power, yet do not also tell us what they have done to bring it to the pavement. It is hard enough with the tire spin we get with the stock power to the pavement, yet, now we see Cobras with power numbers north of 400 RWHP without suspension mods. Go figure how they are gettting an extra 100 HP to the pavement when the stock HP is a challenge, and we all talk launch skills?

Well, some people have driving skills (launching, etc.) and some people don't. The way you complain about having trouble launching with stock horsepower output, I would venture to say you aren't the best driver. I have never had any problems launching, stock or modified to the point I am at now. If you find the proper clutch release/throttle input technique, these cars are extremely easy to launch, granted that you must have very good tires, as do I, in my Hoosier DOT Drag Radials. I pull consistent 1.58-1.62 short times at the track with my IRS (with no wheel hop whatsoever). On the street with these tires, it is the same thing, they hook like no other as well. Just so you know, there are plenty of modded Cobra's that put down well over 500 rwhp and don't have any suspension mods, and they are ripping the streets up from dig races and roll-on's for that matter. A very sticky tire goes a very long way in the search for traction man, and I wish that you would try a good tire like the Hoosiers and maybe you will see for yourself that you don't have to have suspension mods to put the power down as you like to say. Also, did you notice that this was from a 60 mph roll-on, in 3rd gear? Why would you even bring traction problems into the equation? Hoosiers + 3rd gear roll-on = no tire spin or problems getting the power down! Anyways, all, take it easy.

Patisi

Established Member
REPCobra10 said:
Well, some people have driving skills (launching, etc.) and some people don't. The way you complain about having trouble launching with stock horsepower output, I would venture to say you aren't the best driver. I have never had any problems launching, stock or modified to the point I am at now. If you find the proper clutch release/throttle input technique, these cars are extremely easy to launch, granted that you must have very good tires, as do I, in my Hoosier DOT Drag Radials. I pull consistent 1.58-1.62 short times at the track with my IRS (with no wheel hop whatsoever). On the street with these tires, it is the same thing, they hook like no other as well. Just so you know, there are plenty of modded Cobra's that put down well over 500 rwhp and don't have any suspension mods, and they are ripping the streets up from dig races and roll-on's for that matter. A very sticky tire goes a very long way in the search for traction man, and I wish that you would try a good tire like the Hoosiers and maybe you will see for yourself that you don't have to have suspension mods to put the power down as you like to say. Also, did you notice that this was from a 60 mph roll-on, in 3rd gear? Why would you even bring traction problems into the equation? Hoosiers + 3rd gear roll-on = no tire spin or problems getting the power down! Anyways, all, take it easy.

Thanks for further clarification. I will leave out my driving skills, ability to launching etc. I am sure tires go a long way to reducing wheel hops, drag bags also help as well. But the point I am trying to make is

1) The power has to get to the wheels before the wheels can grab and propel the car.

2) Once the car is in motion, the power has to continue to get to the tires so that they can continue to propel the car.

3) I know a lot of us dont consider these factors, we focus on more power not how to get it to the wheels and keep the wheels in contact with the pavement, so that the tires can propel the car.

4) As a matter of fact not too many of us know a whole lot about suspension technology or realize the roll it plays in the go fast world. We understand pulleys, more boost, cams, dyno tune etc, we also undertand DR tires etc, but you know there is something between the drivetrain and the tires you know. Something called suspension...espcecially when you start talkign 100 RWHP over stock!

Anyway, I will keep it simple, cut the cake however you want, you need suspension upgrades at these levels of mods.

Finally, with regards to the E55 AMG the late model ones. I am sure you smoked him. Somehow, I wonder if we can get the Admins of this forum to give us a report of where the most Kills come from I have to believe that South FL will be head and shoulders above all else. The cars just seem to be faster in South FL, and the other fast cars always seem to be always up for a race. Howerver I never see these Cobras race each other and post them. Why?

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
2001BlackSVT said:
then you raced an S4 rather than an RS4.... the S4 is the V8 with 340hp rather than the new RS4 which has 414hp... i work for an Audi store and get to drive these cars every day.... definitely awesome

it had a badge on the back that said s4 clearly and then had a red stripe on the badge immediately to the left of the "s" that looked like an "r" blended into the 's'. anyways, it was pretty quick from a roll, and it would have gotten ugly if i ran out 4th gear, but there were other cars on the road--way in front of me though. this was before my port. definately a blast.

Users who are viewing this thread