Pulley Install Help

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Got everything off except the damper/crank pulley. I have the puller on it and and cranking on the thing and it just won't budge. Anyone else have this problem? I am about ready to put it back together and have the shop install them.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Well, I busted the heads off of the damper pulley puller bolts, guess its off to the shop.

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
I just did mine this mourning, sprayed w/ penetrating oil. make sure the puller is in go working order!

Steeda, I could not get the alt. pulley off though

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Alternator pulley will come right off with an impact gun. Install the new pulley the same way with some blue loctite on the alt threads.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Lol! Of course the crank bolt was out, that came off surprisingly easy. I felt around inside and there was a shit ton of sealant around the crank, I'm guessing that is what is making it so difficult to get off. Oh, well. My back is too sore from cranking on the puller to give it a second try today. I'll just take it to the shop and have them do it.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
there is also a washer IIRC, that you have to get out of there...otherwise the center part of the puller will just be applying force to the center of the pulley instead of the crank, and you'll get nowhere...

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Nothing I've read said anything about a washer. All the how-to's I looked at says out comes the bolt and then the puller should be able to work it off. If you could post a diagram or a pick showing the washer in question it would be appreciated.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Does it sit on the face of the pulley or what? If it doesn't come off with the bolt should I be able to get a flat head in there and pop it free? I can't even find a picture of this thing in the Ford service manual.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
OK, after looking at pictures of the stock damper it looks like the big washer sits inside a recess in the pulley and that's why I missed it. When I looked at the pulley of my car the face of the pulley was flush except for the hole for the bolt. Looks like I'll give it another shot and see if I can extract a washer before I go at it with the puller. Its always some minor detail.

Users who are viewing this thread